Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patching driveway

We have a tiny area around a gate where the contractor who moved the
gatepost was going to come back and relay a small area to tarmac after
moving the gatepost. That was about 17 years ago. He died about 5 years
ago, so I think we can assume he won't fulfil his part of the contract.
The temporary cement he put down has now broken up.

Son has a long drive where tree roots have pushed up the asphalt in
places, so there are some small holes and some longish narrow cracks.
Where you can lift the broken tarmac out, the soil is about 3/4 inches
down, and there seems little or no preparation.

We are thinking of trying to repair some small bits of his path and
maybe try first on mine. Today we invested in a bag of "Rake and Roll
Cold Tarmacadam" from the local builders merchant. It cost about £8, but
internet searches show what look like similar bags from about a fiver to
about £50, some in tubs, some in bags. Is there any difference? Our bag
feels as if it would need a titanium, powered rake to be manipulated at
all.

We don't have any sort of wacker to pummel it down, but we do have
things like lump hammers. Would hitting a bit a ply over the repair be
good enough to settle it? If we end up with a bit too much and a sort
of dome, what do we do?

We propose to pressure wash, then allow it to dry out before opening the
bag, and will leave the bag indoors overnight before starting. We hope
to be able to start at one house then drive to the other house before
the open bag starts to set.

Son has a weed killing blowlamp thing, which he thinks might help. I
have my doubts.

Any advice, anyone?
--
Bill

Concrete driveway cleaning and patching miamicuse Home Repair 6 December 22nd 13 12:10 AM
Patching a SS sink - can it be done? Richard Savage UK diy 11 September 8th 08 02:56 PM
driveway patching Chris Home Repair 3 August 7th 07 04:56 PM
Patching ashpalt driveway? N8N Home Repair 3 April 3rd 07 07:08 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM