Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patching a SS sink - can it be done?

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Richard

If you can get at the back, then one of the plumber's epoxies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard Savage wrote:
Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

SS can be TIG welded. Perhaps a mobile welder in your area could help?

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:54:30 +0100, Richard Savage wrote:

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Richard

==================================
Google for: 'petropatch'.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all.

Mark is searching for a local - to him - stockist of

http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat4/pep/epoxy.php

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Araldite and a 2 pence piece. Use a bit of sticky tape to hold it in
place until it sets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Araldite and a 2 pence piece. Use a bit of sticky tape to hold it in
place until it sets.

car body fller underneath, and scrub it clean on the topside.
However I would instantly fail that if I was a kitchen inspector and I
spotted it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Savage wrote:
Thanks to all.

Mark is searching for a local - to him - stockist of

http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat4/pep/epoxy.php

You can buy that in B&Q or Wickes

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Home-Adhesiv...ty/invt/243792

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Araldite and a 2 pence piece. Use a bit of sticky tape to hold it in
place until it sets.

car body fller underneath, and scrub it clean on the topside.
However I would instantly fail that if I was a kitchen inspector and I
spotted it.

If it's in commercial premises I'd have it done properly and get a
patch welded on or get the whole lot replaced. Better than having a
business closed down by the local authority inspectors over a
relatively minor problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 12:54, Richard Savage wrote:

How does one repair it?

TIG if you can (some chippie fitters do callouts) This will be
strongest.

Low temperature solders. Silver solder (Easyflow etc.) is ****-easy on
stainless and only needs a cheap gas torch. It's likely to be easier
to fit a larger, clean-edged patch than to faff around with a hole.
Any of the model engineering people will sell small quantities of the
bits.

I wouldn't bother with epoxies - silver solder is too easy.

Passivate again afterwards, or it'll stain. Citric acid and web
searching will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one
actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the
historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Araldite and a 2 pence piece. Use a bit of sticky tape to hold it in
place until it sets.

car body fller underneath, and scrub it clean on the topside.
However I would instantly fail that if I was a kitchen inspector and I
spotted it.

If it's in commercial premises I'd have it done properly and get a
patch welded on or get the whole lot replaced. Better than having a
business closed down by the local authority inspectors over a
relatively minor problem

Agree. If this were a car and the patch was on the painted bodywork, I'd be
looking at cutting out a square around the damaged area, forming a step in
the edge, inserting a patch of steel flush and filling the join with weld.
Grind the weld flat to finish.

I would have though that a stainless steel welding person could have made
fairly short work of this and it would be a proper, hygienic and permanent
repair.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
If it's in commercial premises I'd have it done properly and get a
patch welded on or get the whole lot replaced. Better than having a
business closed down by the local authority inspectors over a
relatively minor problem

Agree. If this were a car and the patch was on the painted bodywork, I'd
be looking at cutting out a square around the damaged area, forming a
step in the edge, inserting a patch of steel flush and filling the join
with weld. Grind the weld flat to finish.

I would have though that a stainless steel welding person could have
made fairly short work of this and it would be a proper, hygienic and
permanent repair.

Absolutely. Anything else is a bodge.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *