Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Universal power adapter DC plugs (the kind you always lose)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_conn...indrical_types

I'm referring to the end with two pins on it, that normally plug into
a small socket on the end of the cable that comes from the wall wart.
You can fit it two ways round to change the polarity. I've had a few
adapters, some with straight plugs and some right angled and they all
seem to fit, which seems to imply there's a standard of some kind, but
the article only refers to the end that goes into the appliance.

The pins are a tad over 1 mm thick, a little over 4mm apart point to
point, and 6mm long

Is there a name for this connector and does anybody know where you can
get them, specifically the female bit? I want to rig an external
battery pack that'll fit my camera, mp3 player, phone and anything
else that I [still] have the right end for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hognoxious" wrote in message ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_conn...indrical_types

I'm referring to the end with two pins on it, that normally plug into
a small socket on the end of the cable that comes from the wall wart.
You can fit it two ways round to change the polarity. I've had a few
adapters, some with straight plugs and some right angled and they all
seem to fit, which seems to imply there's a standard of some kind, but
the article only refers to the end that goes into the appliance.

The pins are a tad over 1 mm thick, a little over 4mm apart point to
point, and 6mm long

Is there a name for this connector and does anybody know where you can
get them, specifically the female bit? I want to rig an external
battery pack that'll fit my camera, mp3 player, phone and anything
else that I [still] have the right end for

I don't know what the name of the 2 pin connector is specifically, but the 2 pin to coaxial
adapters are usually referred to as power tip connecters

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 3890f73d-fc0b-4d21-a1d9-ce89f4b60d80
@r4g2000vbq.googlegroups.com, says...
Is there a name for this connector and does anybody know where you can
get them, specifically the female bit?

Did you see the bit lower down about how there's no apparent common
standard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial...ctor#Standards

Personally I'd either pick another standard and solder it to the stubs,
or buy a couple of cheap units and canibalise them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

@r4g2000vbq.googlegroups.com, "hognoxious" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_conn...indrical_types

cut

Is there a name for this connector and does anybody know where you can
get them, specifically the female bit? I want to rig an external
battery pack that'll fit my camera, mp3 player, phone and anything
else that I [still] have the right end for.

Maplin do them, if I understand your needs correctly. They have several
types in kits, an example of which is:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/dc-output-pl...rd-range-42951

--
John W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
hognoxious wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_conn...indrical_types

I'm referring to the end with two pins on it, that normally plug into
a small socket on the end of the cable that comes from the wall wart.
You can fit it two ways round to change the polarity. I've had a few
adapters, some with straight plugs and some right angled and they all
seem to fit, which seems to imply there's a standard of some kind, but
the article only refers to the end that goes into the appliance.

The pins are a tad over 1 mm thick, a little over 4mm apart point to
point, and 6mm long

Is there a name for this connector and does anybody know where you can
get them, specifically the female bit? I want to rig an external
battery pack that'll fit my camera, mp3 player, phone and anything
else that I [still] have the right end for.

These sort of connectors are normally moulded to the cable for strength,
and if you could get one might be difficult to fit to a cable. And
expensive, for what it is.

Why not just buy a suitable wall wart from a car boot sale etc and hack
the cable off?

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW