Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a grommet

I'll have another go at explaining the problem.

The loom is very much smaller than the hole in the panel.

I want a good seal between the sides of the panel - to stop noise,
draughts, water, etc.

There are large connectors either end of the loom which prevents just
sliding on a new one, if it were available.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'll have another go at explaining the problem.

The loom is very much smaller than the hole in the panel.

I want a good seal between the sides of the panel - to stop noise,
draughts, water, etc.

There are large connectors either end of the loom which prevents just
sliding on a new one, if it were available.

The way I'd do it would be to find a flexible rubber or silicone
blanking piece to fit the hole, cut a 20mm diameter hole in the centre,
slit the blanking piece to let the wiring loom in, then seal round the
loom and the length of the slit with something like Stikaflex sealant
(Spelling?), let it set, then insert the blanking piece into the hole in
the panel. It should be good for a decade or two, unless it gets too hot
in that area.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'll have another go at explaining the problem.

The loom is very much smaller than the hole in the panel.

I want a good seal between the sides of the panel - to stop noise,
draughts, water, etc.

There are large connectors either end of the loom which prevents just
sliding on a new one, if it were available.

No chance of doing it like a pro and using screwed up newspaper and
bodyfiller then?

One option is to make a split grommet out of a blob of soft rubber. Maybe
even a mold using silicone to fill the mold would work. That way you can
make the grommet as deep and wide as you want.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 25 Mar,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'll have another go at explaining the problem.

The loom is very much smaller than the hole in the panel.

I want a good seal between the sides of the panel - to stop noise,
draughts, water, etc.

There are large connectors either end of the loom which prevents just
sliding on a new one, if it were available.

No chance of doing it like a pro and using screwed up newspaper and
bodyfiller then?

One option is to make a split grommet out of a blob of soft rubber. Maybe
even a mold using silicone to fill the mold would work. That way you can
make the grommet as deep and wide as you want.

how about grommet strip in the hole, and a short length of pipe lagging (the
soft black closed cell stuff used for aircon) to fill the gap between the
strip and the hole.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply