Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a grommet

One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

Ok, this may not exactly be a total answer, but I have had total success
in gluing rubber to itself with superglue.

So if you CAN find a replacement grommet, you should be able to split it
and reassemble over the wire at least.

Have a look here

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/

to see if any of their mass of rubber mouldings looks near enough to be
useful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

I have some grommet strip which I find very useful for the odd akward
job like yours. Maybe it will do the job for you .
Try:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co.../Grommet+strip

Good Luck
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I would split a grommet and fit, or silicone sealant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I would probably use BOTH.

But silicone sealant is a good idea. However its hard to mould, since it
requires air to set, and if you want to keep it in shape, that means an
air excluding mould.

You CAN get silicone rubber casting materials:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Prod...arter-kit.aspx

But it ain't cheap!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[snip]

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

I'm not sure about "clever" but I would be tempted to make an in-situ mould
on the inside and outside of the panel then carefully fill it from the
accessible side using either a two-part sealant or Sikaflex or an MS
polymer. I've done something similar on boats when I wanted to pass cables
through an internal bulkhead. On that occasion the mould was a pair of corn
plasters and the difficult to reach side had bits of electrician's tape
over the plaster to stop the polymer from oozing out.

It was tedious to do, but the end result looked like a grommet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:59:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc?

Grommet strip? At least for the chaffing.

Sealing is trickier, think I'd look for a suitably sized blind
grommet, make a hole some what smaller than the loom in the middle
and join that to the edge with a single cut.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

If it needn't be pretty a piece of rubber hose of the right size about an
inch long and split down its length with a spiral cut does the job.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I have some grommet strip which I find very useful for the odd akward
job like yours. Maybe it will do the job for you . Try:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co.../Grommet+strip

Yes - I've seen that stuff. Sadly the grommet fits a 60mm diameter hole in
the bulkhead while the hole in the centre of it to seal over the loom
starts out at about 15mm. The outer part of the grommet is still ok - it's
the thinnish rubber membrane and the inner hole part which has split and
perished.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

Liberal applications of Silicone sealant?..

Or there is a sort of grommet on a roll/ strip thing have some of it
here think RS stocked it...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

Slit some T&E cable along the side (not in the centre) and pull the
insulation off. Cut to length. Push over the edges of the hole - some
glue might help here - and trim for snug fit. May well work better on a
warm day when the PVC is softer.

If you have some spare 2-way cable (3 cores+earth) this is wider and so
may be a better fit, or may not depending on the hole shape.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

Slit some T&E cable along the side (not in the centre) and pull the
insulation off. Cut to length. Push over the edges of the hole - some
glue might help here - and trim for snug fit. May well work better on a
warm day when the PVC is softer.

If you have some spare 2-way cable (3 cores+earth) this is wider and so
may be a better fit, or may not depending on the hole shape.

Think you need to check the sizes. The hole is approx 2.5 inches diameter.
The loom approx 3/4 inch.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:

I have some grommet strip which I find very useful for the odd akward
job like yours. Maybe it will do the job for you . Try:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co.../Grommet+strip

Yes - I've seen that stuff. Sadly the grommet fits a 60mm diameter hole in
the bulkhead while the hole in the centre of it to seal over the loom
starts out at about 15mm. The outer part of the grommet is still ok - it's
the thinnish rubber membrane and the inner hole part which has split and
perished.

I guess it's some kind of moulding technique then as others have
suggested, maybe black silicone rubber or something similar. I don't
know if there is a 2 part epoxy moulding compound like metal putty (or
whatever they call it) but remains flexible after curing?
Good luck
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

How about Sugru. http://sugru.com/ Mouldable, flexible when cured, less
messy and more controllable that silicone sealant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

The NP has given the exact course of action. Cut it, fit it and
superglue closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 25/03/2011 :
One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

I would suggest asking in an electrical wholesaler, except 60mm is
unlikely.

You can buy a U shaped material called grommet strip. You just cut a
length off, the same as the diameter and push it into place with maybe
some glue in the U to keep it firm. Then temporarily fix the cables in
the middle of the hole and squirt some silicon sealer around the cables
to seal the hole completely.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2011 14:31, Donwill wrote:
[...]

This is, or a similar product, used extensively in the aerospace
industry for holes where a grommet would not do.

An alternative way would be to find a cored cable and slice it end to
end and throw away the cores and slot that into the bulkhead, cutting it
to length when you get it fitted.

HTH

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

You CAN get silicone rubber casting materials:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Prod...arter-kit.aspx

You can make your own using silicone and sodium bicarb.
That's cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 25, 1:59*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You can buy U shaped grommet strip and cut the length your require.
Can be fitted when the wire is in the hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA

Take a piece of sheet metal, say 80mm square. Cut (drill, punch, chain
drill, chew, whatever) a just-under 1 1/2" hole in it. Cut it in half.
Fix the two pieces in place with glue, self-tappers, or pop rivets, as
it's a Rover (if it had been a Rolls-Royce, start with an 80mm circle
and fasten it with a ring of 3BA square-headed bolts). Cut an
Autosparks C510 grommet radially. Fit over the loom, into the hole, and
glue the small overlap that's resulted from using a slightly too-small
hole.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness about
20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA - although
even if a new one was available it would mean removing some connectors
from the loom to fit it anyway. It's also a bit of a pig to fit in the
hole, as it will only push in place from under the bonnet and is difficult
to get to. The inside is easier.

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need to
be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

These people have zillions of rubber mouldings & extrusion in stock, you
could probably make something up with a little super glue.

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2011 18:33, Kevin Poole wrote:

Take a piece of sheet metal, say 80mm square. Cut (drill, punch, chain
drill, chew, whatever) a just-under 1 1/2" hole in it. Cut it in half.
Fix the two pieces in place with glue, self-tappers, or pop rivets, as
it's a Rover (if it had been a Rolls-Royce, start with an 80mm circle
and fasten it with a ring of 3BA square-headed bolts). Cut an Autosparks
C510 grommet radially. Fit over the loom, into the hole, and glue the
small overlap that's resulted from using a slightly too-small hole.

I was thinking along similar lines except that instead of the
off-the-shelf grommet he could use a piece of sheet rubber - say 1/8th
in. thick - punched with a custom size hole just big enough to take the
loom. Slit this to the edge, manoeuvre into place and secure by
trapping it between the bulkhead and the 2-part metal 'washer'.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin Poole wrote:
One of the harnesses on the old Rover passes through the bulkhead, and
uses a special grommet there. The hole is some 60mm and the harness
about 20mm diameter. The grommet has disintegrated and new ones NLA

Take a piece of sheet metal, say 80mm square. Cut (drill, punch, chain
drill, chew, whatever) a just-under 1 1/2" hole in it. Cut it in half.
Fix the two pieces in place with glue, self-tappers, or pop rivets, as
it's a Rover (if it had been a Rolls-Royce, start with an 80mm circle
and fasten it with a ring of 3BA square-headed bolts). Cut an
Autosparks C510 grommet radially. Fit over the loom, into the hole, and
glue the small overlap that's resulted from using a slightly too-small
hole.

That sounds like a good idea. Easily removable too if I use nuts and
bolts. Thanks, Kevin.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:59:25 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any clever ideas on making up a better device which would not only stop
the loom getting chafed but seal the hole for noise etc? It would need
to be in two halves to fit round the loom, I'd guess.

Disk of rubber (ex-inner-tube) bigger than hole in bulkhead, cut hole in
middle for loom, cut radially, slip over harness, apply liberal amount of
stixall or similar MS-polymer (because that's what I have :-)) to
bulkhead side of disk. Another disk on other side of bulkhead making a
bulkhead-and-stixall sandwich. Hold in place until set. Attempt to clean
stixall off hands and everything else it's come into contact with :-|

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.