Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13mm back box: which grommet?

Hello again,

Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

They usually come with 'oval' grommets. If you need the odd extra one cut
down a 20mm open one.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Consider 25mm backboxes for light switches.
Makes wiring simpler, yes it means a bit of chiselling but worth it.

I always use 25mm for switch, 35mm if any chance of a dimmer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 12:22, Stephen wrote:
Hello again,

Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm?

Do I need to try harder?

Squashing or searching?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:37:55 -0700 (PDT), 1501
wrote:

Squashing or searching?

Both

To answer the other reply, I do try to use 35mm for everything where
possible, following the advice on this group.

Thanks again for your replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

They usually come with 'oval' grommets. If you need the odd extra one cut
down a 20mm open one.

or they come with the hole edge rounded into a lip,
so gromet not required (and can't be fitted).

--
Andrew Gabriel