DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   13mm back box: which grommet? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/287860-13mm-back-box-grommet.html)

Stephen[_6_] September 23rd 09 12:22 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

Hello again,

Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

Thanks.

Dave Plowman (News) September 23rd 09 01:05 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

They usually come with 'oval' grommets. If you need the odd extra one cut
down a 20mm open one.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

js.b1 September 23rd 09 01:57 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

Consider 25mm backboxes for light switches.
Makes wiring simpler, yes it means a bit of chiselling but worth it.

I always use 25mm for switch, 35mm if any chance of a dimmer.

1501 September 23rd 09 07:37 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

On 23 Sep, 12:22, Stephen wrote:
Hello again,

Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm?

Do I need to try harder?

Squashing or searching?

Stephen[_6_] September 23rd 09 10:55 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:37:55 -0700 (PDT), 1501
wrote:

Squashing or searching?

Both ;)

To answer the other reply, I do try to use 35mm for everything where
possible, following the advice on this group.

Thanks again for your replies.

Andrew Gabriel September 24th 09 05:45 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Sorry, I should have appended this to my other post about back boxes.
In addition to the 35mm boxes I was asking about, I have also bought
some of the ultra slim 13mm boxes. What size grommet fits the cable
entry on these? I have tried squashing a 20mm grommet but it seems to
be too big. I've had a search on line but the smallest I can find is
20mm? Do I need to try harder?

They usually come with 'oval' grommets. If you need the odd extra one cut
down a 20mm open one.

or they come with the hole edge rounded into a lip,
so gromet not required (and can't be fitted).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Stephen[_6_] October 5th 09 01:15 PM

13mm back box: which grommet?

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:45:42 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

or they come with the hole edge rounded into a lip,
so gromet not required (and can't be fitted).

I think this is what I have he one hole is already punched out and
it does have a slight lip. On some boxes the lip is more obvious than
on others.

Thanks.

On a different topic, I notice some of the 35mm boxes have both 20 and
25mm knock outs. It's a bit of a pain if the 25mm one is where you
want to run a 20mm!