Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need more pressure.

Just moved home.

The central heating and hot water systems are gravity fed. The HW
cylinder is in an upstairs airing cupboard above the stairs.The top of
the cylinder is only 6-8" below the ceiling with the cold water header
tank on a low platform in the roof space above. Even though the upstairs
hot water feed is plumbed in 22mm the hot supply to the bath and sink is
woefully slow flowing, this is not helped by the use of modern (no
washer) taps which seem to slow the flow even more.

Can I install a pump in the airing cupboard in the 22mm coming from the
top (output) of the HW cylinder? I only need to boost pressure for the
hot water supply as the cold is at mains pressure and flows fine.

If so can anyone recommend a suitable pump? all I want to do is cut a
length of pipe long enough for the pump to be fitted. I do have an
electrical supply in the airing cupboard already.

Is this the correct way to boost hot water pressure rather than having
to raise the cold water header tank in a gravity fed system?

Martyn