Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking kettle spout

Our Russell Hobbs kettle which is similar to this one he

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobb...0531195&sr=1-3

has started to leak from the joint between the spout and the body of the
kettle. As you pour, water runs down the outside of the kettle from the seam
and drips everywhere.

Any suggestions on how to reseal the joint with something that will
withstand the heat?

--
Triff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Any suggestions on how to reseal the joint with something that will
withstand the heat?

They all do this eventually. The only permanent cure I've ever seen is
silver solder.

Would a dab of silicone shower sealant not work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Any suggestions on how to reseal the joint with something that will
withstand the heat?

They all do this eventually. The only permanent cure I've ever seen
is silver solder.

Would a dab of silicone shower sealant not work?

I can give it a try - but whether it would withstand the heat of a boiling
kettle I don't know.

JB Weld Coldweld appears to probably be the best bet - but by the time
you've spent £5.25 plus postage on a *possible* repair - the simplest thing
would probably be to buy a new kettle!

It's annoying, however, when it's still working perfectly apart from the
leaking spout.

--
Triff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Triffid wrote:
GB wrote:
Any suggestions on how to reseal the joint with something that will
withstand the heat?

They all do this eventually. The only permanent cure I've ever seen
is silver solder.

Would a dab of silicone shower sealant not work?

I can give it a try - but whether it would withstand the heat of a
boiling kettle I don't know.

JB Weld Coldweld appears to probably be the best bet - but by the time
you've spent £5.25 plus postage on a *possible* repair - the simplest
thing would probably be to buy a new kettle!

It's annoying, however, when it's still working perfectly apart from
the leaking spout.

I seem to have achieved a result using super-glue. I just ran some SG around
the seam, let it dry and gave it a try. No leak. How long it will last I
don't know - but I thought it was worth a try.

--
Triff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes

Any suggestions on how to reseal the joint with something that will
withstand the heat?

They all do this eventually. The only permanent cure I've ever seen is
silver solder.

Would a dab of silicone shower sealant not work?

No, that's low modulus silicone

High modulus silicone (e.g. Hylomar, as sold in halfords as a gasketing
compound) would be better

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:47:44 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

A tip for preventing kettles from scaling up....

My water is unbelievably hard (Chiltern chalk). I've found that one of
those scale collectors (balls of stainless steel 'wire wool') dropped
into the kettle EXTREMELY effective in preventing scale. The element is
virtually untouched, and the scale collector scales up instead. For
example:

http://www.auravita.com/product/Stee...ector.KTHC1151
5.html?RefId=220&adid=KTHC11515

They only cost about £1-80 in DIY shops.

Now, I could be wrong about this, but I did read somewhere that this
stainless steel 'wire wool' for cleaning is made from 'free-cutting'
stainless. Thing is, as we all know, stainless does nothing that easily, so
lead is added to the stainless to help the cutting - then boiling it in a
kettle...!

Might be worth checking, just in case. I did find that the stuff 'writes' to
ceramic surfaces (many years ago - haven't tried since) which suggests
something softer in there.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian Jackson
saying something like:

My water is unbelievably hard (Chiltern chalk). I've found that one of
those scale collectors (balls of stainless steel 'wire wool') dropped
into the kettle EXTREMELY effective in preventing scale. The element is
virtually untouched, and the scale collector scales up instead. For
example:

I've been buying flat-bottom kettles for years and no longer have a
problem with scale. They die for other cheapskate reasons, like dodgy
switches and leaks. Even a decent kettle (by price) is a cheap and nasty
product these days.

A lot of kettles seem to be prone to leaking (usually a tiny bit of
weeping along one of the seams). One possible advantage of living in a
hard water is that the lime scale might help to seal the leak.
Unfortunately, de-scaling then undoes the good work.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:12:23 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

Not just kettles, coffee makers too.
Having recently descaled ours, the next time it was used it deposited
half the volume of water onto the kitchem work surface. When I
dismantled it, it turns out that the (looks like aluminium) pipe that
heats the water has cracked. Presumably this happened a while ago
and the descaling removed whatever was sealing the leak.
Am now following this thread with interest for food-grade possible
solutions.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/19...8594720748.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 22:45:03 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

Now, I could be wrong about this, but I did read somewhere that this
stainless steel 'wire wool' for cleaning is made from 'free-cutting'
stainless. Thing is, as we all know, stainless does nothing that easily, so
lead is added to the stainless to help the cutting - then boiling it in a
kettle...!

'303' stainless is commonly viewed as free cutting.
Besides Nickel, Chromium and Manganese found in stainless steel
suitable for medical purposes it has sulphur and phosphorous to
improve machineability and no lead.

Lead is however commonly added to mild steel to improve
machineability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Triffid, Ian Kent UK wrote:
'Ive had 2 different RH kettles and they both did this however the leak does
not come from the join on the spout. Its a design flaw because the dribbles
down the side come from the actual overflow off the edge of the spout. Pour
the water when boiled and you will see it run down the outside of the spout
itself and not from the join.Its a strange one because you would think the
flow would be enough to avoid dribbling. It doesn't happen with cold water
though.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ut-694833-.htm