Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tub spout with diverter - leaking behind the wall

Previously had a tub spout (with diverter "gate"? in it) to make the
shower work. It didn't divert all the water - and made a whistling
noise when showering. Bought a new one and replaced. These spouts go
straight onto just a straight piece of copper pipe (slip on type?).
Anyways - the original problem was fixed - but now I think it is
actually leaking behind the wall when showering (we are seeing water
dripping from the ceiling in the room below the tub). Anyone have
experience with the problem? Seems to make sense that if the shutoff
gate now works better- but the slip on part is not 100% waterproof -
then it would now leak behind the wall.

As an FYI - I used some plumber putter on the spout where it connects
to the plastic wall - because the old one had that too. I also didn't
caulk around the spout (was going to do tha eventually) - but the
amount of water leaking seems to be more than could just leak from the
outside of the spout into the wall.

With the striaght slip on spouts with diverter gates - what is
supposed to make the watertight? Are there "O" rings in there? Maybe
just go back and buy a different one (the one I got was from Lowes -
maybe try home depot?).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:49*am, Greg F wrote:
[...]

Not to answer my own question - but I think I found a big part of the
problem. #1 the copper pipe was very dirty - so I cleaned it with
steel wool. #2. The spout seems to be actually designed to "leak" -
but it was supposed to go back into the tub. The plumbers putty I had
used probably made more of it go back into the wall rather than allow
it back into the tub. #3 The hole for the copper pipe was a lot
larger than the pipe - so this also allowed water back into the wall
easier. I took a piece of plastic - cut it round - then like a
doughnut - to fit the pipe - so that the large hole is now more or
less covered by the plastic. #4 In the spout is an O-ring. I coated
it with waterproof grease. However - I think this spout is pretty
cheap - and the fit is not very tight. I will try to find a better
one. The amout of water that is coming out from the back of the spout
next to the wall seems to be too much to me - but maybe someone can
answer that - how much is too much? Since I now see they are
desigend to leak - it makes more sense (because I couldn't imaging how
too pipes slip on -even with an O ring - could really truely hold much
pressure. In any case - I think I'll be back in business soon.

Still appreciate any feedback from people having similar experience.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg F wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:49 am, Greg F wrote:

[...]

The pipe joint to the spout should not leak.
Spout should fit tightly to pipe and the O-ring should make
a good seal without doing anything else. Get another spout.

You must caulk the spout to the wall to prevent water
splashing during showering from running behind.
The neat way is to apply the caulk to the back of the
spout and then push it on till the caulk squeezes out.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem -- when using the shower, water would leak into
the wall. The spout was designed to go over the copper pipe stub and
seal with an O-ring and was held in place with a setscrew.
Unfortunately, the setscrew bent the pipe stub out of round making a
good seal impossible. Adding insult to injury, the previous owner
smeared lots of caulk in an unsuccessful attempt to stop the leak. The
ultimate solution was to scrape away the caulk and solder on a pipe
extension with a threaded fitting to a new spout assembly. Fortunately
I got the pipe length right the first time. The leftover caulking was
enough to generate lots of smoke and trigger the fire alarm during
soldering. But once it was complete and all the soot cleaned up, I
never had a leaking problem again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:46:13 -0700 (PDT), Greg F

#2. The spout seems to be actually designed to "leak" -
but it was supposed to go back into the tub. The plumbers putty I had
used probably made more of it go back into the wall rather than allow
it back into the tub.

The tub overflow pipe has a similar drain ("weep/drain hole"?). Never
caulk all the way around. Forget the water is on in the tub and YOU
will get a flood.

I've replace a few tub spouts... took one back for exchange.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:04:49 -0400, Speedy Jim
wrote:

The neat way is to apply the caulk to the back of the
spout and then push it on till the caulk squeezes out.

Jim

Thanks.

It sounds easy, neat and clean. I will try this trick in the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:02*pm, Bob wrote:
I had the same problem -- when using the shower, water would leak into
the wall. *Thespoutwas designed to go over the copper pipe stub and
seal with an O-ring and was held in place with a setscrew.
Unfortunately, the setscrew bent the pipe stub out of round making a
good seal impossible. *Adding insult to injury, the previous owner
smeared lots of caulk in an unsuccessful attempt to stop the leak. *The
ultimate solution was to scrape away the caulk and solder on a pipe
extension with a threaded fitting to a newspoutassembly. *Fortunately
I got the pipe length right the first time. *The leftover caulking was
enough to generate lots of smoke and trigger the fire alarm during
soldering. *But once it was complete and all the soot cleaned up, I
never had a leaking problem again.

Maybe that was my problem too - because i got another one (from a
plumbing supply store - but it still leaks a litte at the back (i.e.
out of the slip over o-ring joint) - but at least now its in the tub
(i hope all is in tub!!!). I like the idea of converting to screw on
- and if I have a problem again - I will try that. Any tips on
getting the pipe length just right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

#2. Thespoutseems to be actually designed to "leak" -
but it was supposed to go back into the tub. *The plumbers putty I had
used probably made more of it go back into the wall rather than allow
it back into the tub.

The tub overflow pipe has a similar drain ("weep/drain hole"?). Never
caulk all the way around. Forget the water is on in the tub and YOU
will get a flood.

I've replace a few tub spouts... took one back for exchange.

Yeah - I wish the spout would connect to that same drain - but
unfortunately it does not. It runs back into the tub (when working
properly) - but the large hole around the pipe allowed a lot of water
into the wall. Hoping its fixed with my plastic cover to the wall.

thanks!