Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weird freeze!

In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had
been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message ...
In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of
Morrisons own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring
pull had been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

Was the frozen one standing directly on the Peltier device which usually corresponds
to a cut-out in the base of the cooler's interior?

Or is it a conventional fridge?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had
been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

Admit it, you're rather ****ed already and imagining things - another drama
queen night coming on eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had
been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

There was recently an episode of Mythbusters where they took various
carbonated drinks down to just above their freezing point. Then they
mechanically shocked the container and due to the release of CO2 the
temperature dropped just enough to freeze the contents. Looked
impressive.

Not sure it is the answer in your case, but why had the can fallen over?
Was it due to the frozen content over balancing it, or it falling for
another reason and freezing??

Spooky.
Upset any poltergeists recently?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had been
forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

Perhaps they were both super cooled to below freezing, but only one had
a suitable nucleation point[1] for ice crystals to start forming.

[1] Freezing normally needs a trigger point for the first crystal to
form. This can be a spec of dust or other impurity, a shock, a scratch
in the can etc.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

May have a lower freezing point and hence not be affected.

One of two things, the cans had different internal pressure or contents
and therefore differing freezing points, or the expansion caused minute
hole which then causes the phenomenon discussed in mythbusters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2011 19:30, Unbeliever wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had
been forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

How the 'kinell did that happen?

The truth is out there......

Admit it, you're rather ****ed already and imagining things - another drama
queen night coming on eh?

Its a fair cop, I was indeed ****ed out of my skull on Red Bull....

Errm. You do know what Red Bull is??

I know it wasn't about in 1955 when you were a failed foreman, but do
try & catch up you senile old ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 9:09 pm, John Rumm wrote:

In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had been
forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

Perhaps they were both super cooled to below freezing, but only one had
a suitable nucleation point[1] for ice crystals to start forming.

[1] Freezing normally needs a trigger point for the first crystal to
form. This can be a spec of dust or other impurity, a shock, a scratch
in the can etc.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

May have a lower freezing point and hence not be affected.

but its a chiller not a freezer?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 16:49, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:09 pm, John wrote:

In our conservatory we have a beer chiller sitting on top of the
freezer. Alas no beer in it at present, but 2 small cans of Morrisons
own label Red Bull.

Just opened it to find one of the cans on its side, frozen absolutely
solid. The liquid had expanded to the point where the ring pull had been
forced off the can.

The other can - right next to it - was perfect - I'm drinking it now.

Perhaps they were both super cooled to below freezing, but only one had
a suitable nucleation point[1] for ice crystals to start forming.

[1] Freezing normally needs a trigger point for the first crystal to
form. This can be a spec of dust or other impurity, a shock, a scratch
in the can etc.

6 bottles of Lucosade also perfect.

May have a lower freezing point and hence not be affected.

but its a chiller not a freezer?

Yup. Like this; http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEC-Wine-Bee.../dp/B000Y9MOMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 16:49, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:09 pm, John wrote:

[...]

Possibly you had your cans in contact with the back plate - evaporator
plate?
Even so, they should not have frozen up.
I will not sleep tonight due to this issue.

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 21:30, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 13/03/2011 16:49, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:09 pm, John wrote:

[...]

Nope.

Even so, they should not have frozen up.

I know.

I will not sleep tonight due to this issue.

Quite right.

Pc freeze [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 June 9th 06 04:49 PM
Freeze Dried? charlie b Woodturning 34 April 27th 06 05:09 PM
air conditioner freeze up GGF3 Home Repair 9 May 19th 05 01:53 PM
Fridges: weird "fast freeze" switch The Question Asker UK diy 9 August 12th 03 04:55 PM