GGF3

Default air conditioner freeze up

Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Travis Jordan

GGF3 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a
central air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice
and a puddle of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit.

Restricted airflow (ie: dirty filters) or refrigerant undercharge. If
the latter, you likely have a leak.

JimL

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:53:25 GMT, "GGF3"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Either low on Refrigerant or air flow.

Robert Allison

GGF3 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Probably low on freon, very dirty cooling coils, very dirty
filter, or a combination of the above.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Ed

"GGF3" wrote

Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Others gave good answers. It can also ice up if the outside temperature is
too low. Some people here in the NE are already calling with the problem.
Nights here are in the 40's. Misdirected air can also cause it. I've seen
people try to run these behind draperies and curtains.

Stormin Mormon

The temperature of the coil dropped below the freezing point. Humidity froze
on the coil, and the air flow was restricted. And finally stopped.

Call an HVAC guy, and have the system serviced.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"GGF3" wrote in message
news Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Lyle Meier

One other outside possiblity is that the outside unit is running all the
time, even when no
cooling is called for- thus no fan in the ultimate case of restricted air
flow.
I had a unit that was mis-wired, and it did this, as stated if the outside
unit runs and
no blower you have the ultimate restricted airflow case

It could be mis-wiring or a stuck contactor in this case.
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
GGF3 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a
central air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice
and a puddle of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit.

Restricted airflow (ie: dirty filters) or refrigerant undercharge. If
the latter, you likely have a leak.

TURTLE

"GGF3" wrote in message
news
Can anyone tell me what causes the coils in the interior unit of a central
air conditioning system to freeze up? They are covered in ice and a puddle
of about 2 inches of water is at the base of the unit. Any ideas?
Thanks!

This is Turtle.

Here is your best possible of it being one or bunch of these.

Low of freon.

Dirty Filter

Dirty or plugged up evaperator coil or Dirty blower wheel of blower.

Evaperator fan motor failing at times but maybe a fan relay.

Inefficent Compressor with just the right inefficentiness to freeze the coil.

Sticking Condenser contractors to keep condenser running all the time while
evaperator section cycles off.

Thermostat set below 58ºF and let to run all nite.

The thermostat not turning on evaperator blower at times and turning on the
condenser.

That is it for now but there could be some more.

TURTLE

stretch

Good list Turtle. That covers the most likely causes.

Stretch

ill second the opinion that the air filter is totally clogged or the
coil isclogged. the blower fan gets pretty packed also causing lower air
flow .you gotta move alot of air over the coil to keep it from freezing.
lucas