Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling plasterboard holes

Removed a radiator.

Holes in PB from 15mm pipework. Holes a little over-sized and rough.

These seem too small for a normal plasterboard patch + skim, but look a
bit big for a a simple filler like you'd use on screw/nail sized holes.
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Considering cutting out a small square, and doing a normal PB patch 'n'
skim.

Is that overkill?
Can I just fill the the thing?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 10:58 pm, Ron Lowe wrote:
Removed a radiator.

Holes in PB from 15mm pipework. Holes a little over-sized and rough.

These seem too small for a normal plasterboard patch + skim, but look a
bit big for a a simple filler like you'd use on screw/nail sized holes.
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Considering cutting out a small square, and doing a normal PB patch 'n'
skim.

Is that overkill?
Can I just fill the the thing?

--
Ron

lightweight readymix filler - Red Devil. Wickes Master One Hit filler,
others~~~~~~
first pass - do what you can easily in one "wipe"
let set
2nd pass do the rest
finish with a quick sand if necessary
paint.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 11:05*pm, Jim K wrote:

lightweight readymix filler - Red Devil. Wickes Master One Hit filler,
others~~~~~~
first pass - do what you can easily in one "wipe"
let set
2nd pass do the rest
finish with a quick sand if necessary
paint.

Fully concur with this approach. I've had great success with Red Devil
OneTime - completely invisible repair once painted.

Note I've always primed the filler prior to emulsioning although I
must admit I've never tried it without.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2011 23:05, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 11, 10:58 pm, Ron wrote:
Removed a radiator.

Holes in PB from 15mm pipework. Holes a little over-sized and rough.

These seem too small for a normal plasterboard patch + skim, but look a
bit big for a a simple filler like you'd use on screw/nail sized holes.
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Considering cutting out a small square, and doing a normal PB patch 'n'
skim.

Is that overkill?
Can I just fill the the thing?

lightweight readymix filler - Red Devil. Wickes Master One Hit filler,
others~~~~~~
first pass - do what you can easily in one "wipe"
let set
2nd pass do the rest
finish with a quick sand if necessary
paint.

That's certainly what I would do myself. Though have to say I was well
impressed at the efforts of a pro decorator I witnessed working
recently: he filled a hole in a ceiling, a bit bigger than that, with
one pass of a powdered filler. The result was completely invisible
below the paint.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though
with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the
first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to
provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good
24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with
the second pass.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Removed a radiator.

Holes in PB from 15mm pipework. Holes a little over-sized and rough.

These seem too small for a normal plasterboard patch + skim, but look a
bit big for a a simple filler like you'd use on screw/nail sized holes.
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Considering cutting out a small square, and doing a normal PB patch 'n'
skim.

Is that overkill?
Can I just fill the the thing?

Best way I have found is to insert a piece of PB or wood behind the
hole. You need to cut a strip longer than the hole but narrower (so it
will pass through). Tie a bit of string round the middle and poke it
through - hold onto the end of the string!! Then pull it back up. Oh,
forgot to say coat it with PVA first so it will stick to the back of
your wall. Tie the string to a weight to hold in place for 1/2 hr till
the PVA sets, then fill as normal, or cut a small piece of PB to fit and
glue it in. Obviously finish off with filler.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 11:30*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though
with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the
first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to
provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good
24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with
the second pass.

Thats the best option IME. It will slump, so just allow for it on the
first fill. Doing it like that can take 3 goes each a day apart, but
if youre not in a big rush its the easiest and cheapest option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:
Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though
with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the
first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to
provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good
24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with
the second pass.

Thats the best option IME. It will slump, so just allow for it on the
first fill. Doing it like that can take 3 goes each a day apart, but
if youre not in a big rush its the easiest and cheapest option.

NT

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Fill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:30:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though
with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the
first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to
provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good
24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with
the second pass.

Yup - I've managed a hole in the ceiling that was about 1"x2" by building up
the edges to be sloping and rough, leaving to dry and repeating. Took 3
stages plus the final smooth bit but, if you have the time, it works.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2011 09:13, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:30:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:58:23 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Concerned that filler would slump and not work properly.

Make it a stiff mix and don't try to complete in one pass, though
with a stiff enough mix you might get away with one pass. Squidge the
first load in but leave a small depression and roughen the surface to
provide a key for the second pass. Probably worth leaving a good
24hrs between first and second so you don't push the middle out with
the second pass.

Yup - I've managed a hole in the ceiling that was about 1"x2" by building up
the edges to be sloping and rough, leaving to dry and repeating. Took 3
stages plus the final smooth bit but, if you have the time, it works.

I wanted to leave a bit of clearance round a hot water pipe, so I taped
a plastic sleeve round it, greased the plastic, and filled up to it.
Removed the sleeve when set, so I now have a neat but slightly oversized
hole to allow for expansion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2011 23:09, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:05 pm, Jim wrote:

lightweight readymix filler - Red Devil. Wickes Master One Hit filler,
others~~~~~~
first pass - do what you can easily in one "wipe"
let set
2nd pass do the rest
finish with a quick sand if necessary
paint.

Fully concur with this approach. I've had great success with Red Devil
OneTime - completely invisible repair once painted.

Yup. Gets my vote as well. Incredible stuff.

Filling small holes in Gyproc/plasterboard/drywall [email protected] UK diy 2 August 22nd 07 12:17 PM
Taping and Filling Plasterboard - Materials Richard Conway UK diy 2 September 6th 06 12:16 PM
Filling Holes J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 08:48 PM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM