Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wondering why all my sockets went off?

Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French writes:
Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together

Some RCDs/RCBOs also trip on other fault conditions, such as
disconnected neutral (requires that the device has an earth
tail connection). It may also be that some type of voltage
spike triggered them, either on the supply, or in the ground
where your rod is (will look like a disconnected neutral),
due to someone else's earth fault or lightning strike.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together

Earth neutral short?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 11:40*am, chris French
wrote:
Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together
--
Chris French

Also, some are effected by transients in the mains (glitches or spikes
caused by faults elsewhere.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 9, 11:40 am, chris French
wrote:
Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together
--
Chris French

Also, some are effected by transients in the mains (glitches or spikes
caused by faults elsewhere.)

Wrong. They are effected my manufacturers and electricians.

Transients may affect them, but never effect them, unless you are a
creationist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 6:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Mar 9, 11:40 am, chris French
wrote:
Sitting here drinking my coffee about an hour ago, when 'click' the
sockets power goes off.

There are 4 sockets circuits, 3 each have their own RCBO, one via a
separate 100ma time delayed RCD. In a new CU installed about a year ago,
no problems since then. TT earth.

All three RCBO's had switched off.

Turned them back on, and everything is fine, but left wondering why all
3 would go off like that together
--
Chris French

Also, some are effected by transients in the mains (glitches or spikes
caused by faults elsewhere.)

Wrong. They are effected my manufacturers and electricians.

Transients may affect them, but never effect them, unless you are a
creationist.- Hide quoted text -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2011 12:15, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some RCDs/RCBOs also trip on other fault conditions, such as
disconnected neutral (requires that the device has an earth
tail connection).

That's pretty-well all of the single-module solid-neutral types now.
They trip if the voltage between the neutral and functional earth tails
exceeds 50 volts (in practice about 42 volts for an MK branded one I
tested recently).

It may also be that some type of voltage spike triggered them, either
on the supply, or in the ground where your rod is (will look like a
disconnected neutral), due to someone else's earth fault or lightning
strike.

Agreed. I'd expect the RCBOs to have some low-pass filtering to protect
against tripping on 'spikes' (fast transients), so we're most likely
looking at a 'surge' on the supply neutral. As you say a line-earth
fault in the supply network or someone else's installation could lift
the neutral enough to do this.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
[...]

RCBOs work by monitoring the differential current between line and neutral.

If, anywhere within the installation, there is a neutral earth short,
some current will be diverted to the earth path.

If that causes a big earth spike with respect to the neutral anything
(and tehse dauys athats most electronics wit RFI filtering) that has an
AC path between live, neutral an earth, will screw with the balance and
cause things to trip.

As will a major sure on the live line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RCBOs work by monitoring the differential current between line and neutral.

Yes all types of RCD do that. Additionally the modern RCBOs also
monitor the voltage between neutral and earth, and trip if it exceeds 50
V, or if the neutral goes o/c.

If, anywhere within the installation, there is a neutral earth short,
some current will be diverted to the earth path.

Yes, but that won't cause tripping of other final circuits. Here three
final ccts tripped together. That's far more likely to be caused by a
common fault, viz. something causing earth and neutral to move more then
50 V apart. Bearing in mind that this is a TT-earthed installation it's
either something dumping current into the local earth electrode, or
something remotely lifting the neutral. The latter seems more likely
since local current diverted to earth should trip an RCD well before the
rise in earth potential reaches 50 V.

If that causes a big earth spike with respect to the neutral anything
(and tehse dauys athats most electronics wit RFI filtering) that has an
AC path between live, neutral an earth, will screw with the balance and
cause things to trip.

Those sorts of transients don't usually cause RCD tripping problems,
unless the situation is already marginal with respect to leakage. And
then they will only tend to affect a single circuit.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Wade
writes

[...]

Ok, thanks folks, some external event then seems likely. shall file it
away in list of odd things that have happened.

Though it didn't trip the 3 x lighting circuits or the boiler circuit
RCBO's
--
Chris French

just wondering nefletch Home Repair 23 September 3rd 09 04:26 AM
Wondering Why charlieb Woodturning 23 May 22nd 07 04:30 AM
I was wondering... Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 28 December 27th 06 12:09 AM
Just wondering. Sam Clayton Metalworking 16 July 21st 05 10:34 AM
We were wondering if . . . foggytown Woodworking 8 January 4th 05 01:46 PM