Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I was wondering...

....what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started flickering,
then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the staff
congregating near the doors. Every year something like this happens!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started
flickering, then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the
staff congregating near the doors. Every year something like this
happens!
Si

I assumed that one of your sheds would be full of every conceivable spare
part to cover such an eventuality! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started flickering,
then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the staff
congregating near the doors. Every year something like this happens!

Si

You were wondering, but were you thinking?
Think about it now.
What is everyone doing at 3pm on a Christmas eve?
clue: in the kitchen.
What's that likely to do to the electricity supply?
You have a dodgy fluorescent on its last legs.

Eureka.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-24 19:48:09 +0000, Owain said:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
....what would happen this year.

Emergency trip to Tesco for washing-up liquid. It was either that or
wash the crocks with my L'Occitan En Provence shower gel.

Owain

Didn't you want your teapot to have the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started flickering,
then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the staff
congregating near the doors. Every year something like this happens!

Si

so you bought a tube only to find later that it was a dead starter?
Pretty minor thanks to table lamps.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started flickering,
then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the staff
congregating near the doors. Every year something like this happens!

Si

My laserprinter has developed a BER type fault...anyone with an old HP
laserjet 6P they don't need...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Emergency trip to Tesco for washing-up liquid. It was either that or
wash the crocks with my L'Occitan En Provence shower gel.

You've got David Guest doing the washing up?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot wrote:
....what would happen this year.

Visit to mate on way back from final Xmas shopping. He's got a
visitor in the house talking about "cheap fags", so my mate suggests we
go up to wherever to stock up. As we're leaving he slips a large
pointed pair of scissors to me and passes his wallet and phone to his
missus.
I'll draw a veil over the next couple of hours, save to say that
there was a confidence trick going on, and I managed to prevent said
mate from acquiring a murder/ GBH conviction without getting more than
a few bumps and bruises myself. And Plod don't seem inclined to stir up
the hornet's nest any further, so I can un-bag my clothes and put them
through the wash without too much fear of being done for wilfully
destroying evidence.
"You can choose you friends, but you can't choose your family",
they say. But that doesn't stop you from making bad choices.

I'm not really looking forward to the stag night.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
SNIP I'll draw a veil over the next couple of hours, save to say that
there was a confidence trick going on,

What was the con?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started
flickering, then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the
staff congregating near the doors. Every year something like this
happens!
Si

I assumed that one of your sheds would be full of every conceivable
spare part to cover such an eventuality! g

You'd think! I know there's at least 5 starters in one of them but no spare
tubes at all.

One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly sizeable
motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named Freecycle so it's
more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I won't be changing my name to
reflect this but I have had to... *sob* ...throw some stuff away and do some
compacting. It hurt.

Si

[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:
...what would happen this year.

You were wondering, but were you thinking?
Think about it now.
What is everyone doing at 3pm on a Christmas eve?
clue: in the kitchen.
What's that likely to do to the electricity supply?
You have a dodgy fluorescent on its last legs.

Eureka.

*Slaps head*

If only I had your foresight - I would have replaced the tube the day
before.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo Two Sheds Toadfoot wrote:
Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot wrote:

[...]

Lol

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Medway Handyman wrote:
What was the con?

Guy was repeatedly trying the "Give me the XX quid and I'll just
nip up to the stockist's flat and bring the fags down to you.
The surprise was that he kept on and on and on trying the same
line. It was getting to the point of street theatre at one point.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Aidan Karley wrote:
SNIP I'll draw a veil over the next couple of hours, save to
say that
there was a confidence trick going on,

What was the con?

But what was the con/scam? I colllect info on these, I would really like to
know.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman wrote:
What was the con?

Guy was repeatedly trying the "Give me the XX quid and I'll just
nip up to the stockist's flat and bring the fags down to you.

Deffo a scam then - no fags existed. Not a very sophisticated scam.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-26 00:34:46 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman wrote:
What was the con?

Guy was repeatedly trying the "Give me the XX quid and I'll just
nip up to the stockist's flat and bring the fags down to you.

Deffo a scam then - no fags existed. Not a very sophisticated scam.

A service to him I would have thought. Parted from his XX quid, he
wouldn't have had it to spend on fags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly sizeable
motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named Freecycle so it's
more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I won't be changing my name to
reflect this but I have had to... *sob* ...throw some stuff away and do some
compacting. It hurt.

[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html

You got *that* from *freecycle*?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly
sizeable motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named
Freecycle so it's more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I
won't be changing my name to reflect this but I have had to... *sob*
...throw some stuff away and do some compacting. It hurt.

[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html

You got *that* from *freecycle*?

David

'Fraid so

It had lived in the original purchaser's garage, untouched, for the last ten
of its eighteen years and was filthy but not particularly rusty apart from
the inside of the fuel tank. After a lot of cleaning and polishing, changing
of oil and fork seals, cleaning of tank and carbs, off it went!

To say I am chuffed with it is an enormous understatement.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Medway Handyman wrote:
Deffo a scam then - no fags existed. Not a very sophisticated scam.

Street theatre.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Lobster wrote:
[...]

There's only one word to say really

*******

and seasonal greetings, of course

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

There's only one word to say really

*******

and seasonal greetings, of course

Happy new year, Geoff

Si the (lucky) *******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
raden wrote:
"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html
You got *that* from *freecycle*?
'Fraid so
To say I am chuffed with it is an enormous understatement.

There's only one word to say really
*******

I can think of two words.

Jammy bastart.

and seasonal greetings, of course

Oh aye, them an aw.

Owain

Yeah right; I've got to pay to get it MOT'd myself y'know!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Owain wrote:
raden wrote:
"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html
You got *that* from *freecycle*?
'Fraid so
To say I am chuffed with it is an enormous understatement.
There's only one word to say really
*******

I can think of two words.

Jammy bastart.

and seasonal greetings, of course

Oh aye, them an aw.

Owain

Yeah right; I've got to pay to get it MOT'd myself y'know!

My heart bleeds for you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly
sizeable motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named
Freecycle so it's more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I
won't be changing my name to reflect this but I have had to... *sob*
...throw some stuff away and do some compacting. It hurt.
[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html

You got *that* from *freecycle*?

'Fraid so

You know, just after I posted the above I thought to myself, "Duh, he
meant it as a joke - how stupid will I look now in front of the rest of
the uk.d-i-y fraternity...."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:
Guy was repeatedly trying the "Give me the XX quid and I'll just
nip up to the stockist's flat and bring the fags down to you.

Deffo a scam then - no fags existed. Not a very sophisticated scam.

A service to him I would have thought. Parted from his XX quid, he
wouldn't have had it to spend on fags.

Like I said, by this point we were treating it as street theatre.
Then we gave up and went for a pint instead. Should've called (the
mate's) home then, to tell his missus that we'd aborted the mission and
were having a pint instead. Which left Mr Scrote the opportunity to try
the con one last time back at the house (on the missus).

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Lobster wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly
sizeable motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named
Freecycle so it's more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I
won't be changing my name to reflect this but I have had to... *sob*
...throw some stuff away and do some compacting. It hurt.
[1] http://www.arcl40.dsl.pipex.com/virago/index.html
You got *that* from *freecycle*?

'Fraid so

You know, just after I posted the above I thought to myself, "Duh, he
meant it as a joke - how stupid will I look now in front of the rest of
the uk.d-i-y fraternity...."

So ?

what's wrong with that - everyone does it from time to time

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

You know, just after I posted the above I thought to myself, "Duh, he
meant it as a joke - how stupid will I look now in front of the rest
of the uk.d-i-y fraternity...."

Um...no, I didn't.

"Yamaha 'Virago' VX 535 (E-Reg 0ne of the first in this country)
This fantastic bike has not been ridden for 10 years and is slowly
decaying in my garage. It is rusty and badly in need of restoration
BUT, if anyone has the time and energy I'm sure the engine and gearbox
are sound. It could be a fantastic bike. I have the original handbook
for it."

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y