foggytown

Default We were wondering if . . .

One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third six
pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and
how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years
old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Leon

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third six
pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and
how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years
old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Not illegal but Pink Ivory is tough to get permission to harvest.

SonomaProducts.com

I think Koa ia at least extremely limited if not totally protected.

On 3 Jan 2005 08:23:01 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third six
pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and
how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years
old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Well, there are a number of endangered species that can't be imported
if they were cut after a certain date. I recall seeing a piece in one
of the woodworking magazines about a new source of 'legal' Brazilian
Rosewood. Small pieces were being milled from the stumps of trees cut
down more than 30 years ago. The wood was considered to have been cut
before the ban went into effect.

I don't know of any kind of wood which is as closely controlled as
elephant ivory.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Patriarch

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
oups.com:

I think Koa ia at least extremely limited if not totally protected.

Koa is available in Oakland, CA at Earthsource. Large, beautiful slabs,
and priced accordingly...

Patriarch

foggytown wrote:
One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third

six
pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and
how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years
old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that

was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Harveting of teak in Thailand is a capital offense.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

whether there was any kind of rare wood that was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

(Assuming USA.)
Cuban Mahogony from Cuba?

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
George

wrote in message
ups.com...

foggytown wrote:
One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third

six
pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and
how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years
old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that

was
in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Harveting of teak in Thailand is a capital offense.

You can follow the bull at http://www.cites.org/

Walrus ivory, for instance, and ivory sold from culling is still available.

As to the harvest of _wild_ teak, it is indeed a criminal offense in
Thailand. Plantation teak is another matter.
http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cd...E/x4565e10.htm

Same problems arise as with ivory, however, as there is no differentiation
between the baby and bathwater.