Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mapei keraflex equivalent products?

having issues locating a reasonably priced local distributor of
keraflex in 20kg bags - so - what are keraflex's competitors in the
market?

(I think I need powdered, cementitious, flexible, normal set (not
rapid))

TIA
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 10:08*am, Jim K wrote:
having issues locating a reasonably priced local distributor of
keraflex in 20kg bags - so - what are keraflex's competitors in the
market?

(I think I need powdered, cementitious, flexible, normal set (not
rapid))

TIA
Jim K

Ardex and BAL, for two. You'll have to look up the products as I tend
to use Mapei.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K ) wibbled on Saturday 05 March 2011 10:08:

having issues locating a reasonably priced local distributor of
keraflex in 20kg bags - so - what are keraflex's competitors in the
market?

(I think I need powdered, cementitious, flexible, normal set (not
rapid))

TIA
Jim K

I've used keraquick + isolastic additive to produce a fast set flexible
adhesive. With Mapei, there are sometimes alternative ways to get the same
basic product. If you don't want "quick" I think there are other Mapei
adhesives that can be mixed with isolastic.

Tile Giant can order in any Mapei product, if you have one accessible.

And according to this:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?cli...N&hl=en&tab=wf

Screwfix sell Keraflex.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 2:27 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Jim K ) wibbled on Saturday 05 March 2011 10:08:

having issues locating a reasonably priced local distributor of
keraflex in 20kg bags - so - what are keraflex's competitors in the
market?

(I think I need powdered, cementitious, flexible, normal set (not
rapid))

TIA
Jim K

I've used keraquick + isolastic additive to produce a fast set flexible
adhesive. With Mapei, there are sometimes alternative ways to get the same
basic product. If you don't want "quick" I think there are other Mapei
adhesives that can be mixed with isolastic.

Tile Giant can order in any Mapei product, if you have one accessible.

mmm for a fee!
20kgs of grey from them is £26 incl VAT....

I've seen it online for £16 odd but "darn sarf" so plus £8.50
delivery :(

And according to this:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?cli...fs&q=keraflex&...

Screwfix sell Keraflex.

well they do in 5 kg bags ~~ £36 for 20kgs (4 bags) :(

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K ) wibbled on Saturday 05 March 2011 17:03:

[...]

I got mine from

http://lilleytileandstone.co.uk/catalog/34

Theirs is 11.92 + VAT + 5.99 delivery - but you need a £100 minimum order.

If you really only want one bag, I'd either just pay the extra tenner - or
have a look at BAL (which Topps Tiles can get) - they will have something
equally good, but you may be in the same position of having to order.

If you want loads, I'd go with Lilley - they were the cheapest I could find
for a bigger job.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 5:30 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

it's for my homebrew thermal tile backer board tests -
a lateral google took me to B&Q (cough spit) and 20kgs of mildly
rebadged Mapei flexible for £24 (incl VAT) - in my workshop now
waiting ;)

that'll do for now but cheers for the Lilley link you never know ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K ) wibbled on Saturday 05 March 2011 19:02:

it's for my homebrew thermal tile backer board tests -
a lateral google took me to B&Q (cough spit) and 20kgs of mildly
rebadged Mapei flexible for £24 (incl VAT) - in my workshop now
waiting ;)

What was it rebadged as?

That's a useful bit of info...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
having issues locating a reasonably priced local distributor of
keraflex in 20kg bags - so - what are keraflex's competitors in the
market?

(I think I need powdered, cementitious, flexible, normal set (not
rapid))

When I tiled the kitchen floor our local tile warehouse recommended Gran
Fix which costs about half the price of Keraflex. In Italy we are using
Keraflex. TBH I can't tell any difference in use between the two.

Keraflex in Italy costs ‚¬15 a bag. So there's a huge markup for the UK.

Gran Fix is about £12 a bag but our supplier charged £10.

http://www.tile-dealerhq.co.uk/scrip...?idProduct=158

Although sold as fast set, this is a 3 hour setting cement.

I've also got a memory of a tiler telling me that it was cheaper to buy
flexible latex and to use cement rather than the tile cement powder. He
also said that for uneven floors it's possible to add cement and coarse
sand to fill up to 20mm. I've never tried this so I don't know if he was
suffering from "tradesman's mouth".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 11:44 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Jim K ) wibbled on Saturday 05 March 2011 19:02:

it's for my homebrew thermal tile backer board tests -
a lateral google took me to B&Q (cough spit) and 20kgs of mildly
rebadged Mapei flexible for £24 (incl VAT) - in my workshop now
waiting ;)

What was it rebadged as?

That's a useful bit of info...
--
Tim Watts

Buildfix - but still had mapei on the bag....

other obviously Mapei gear too:-

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...earch=buildfix

along with "profeshunal tilas" moaninng a bit here ;)

http://www.tileforums.com/index.php?...pic=8005&st=15

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 1:31 am, Steve Firth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
[...]

ta i'll investigate

Jim K

Dremel or equivalent? [email protected] UK diy 3 December 5th 05 06:11 PM
Help: equivalent FBT Slang Electronics Repair 0 August 9th 05 05:59 PM
Mos fet equivalent Funfly3 Electronics Repair 1 May 7th 05 01:52 PM
Bobcat or equivalent Mark Metalworking 4 April 21st 05 03:53 AM
WTB: MBR1545CT or equivalent Kalman Rubinson Electronics Repair 2 October 18th 04 01:19 AM