Stephen Gower

Default Vinyl Tile "repair"

Once we finally got the many layers of carpet up, we discovered
that the concrete floor is covered throughout with vinyl tiles.
Now, basically, these provide a decent surface for laying new
surfaces (carpet/laminate/whatever) on, and I really don't want to
lift the lot of them. However, some of them have broken and come
away (mostly where the previous carpets were nailed down), so I'm
left with a 1/2-tile. I'm hoping to fill the gaps with a
self-leveling compound of some sort. Does anyone have any
recommendations of what to use, or is this a stupid thing to be
attempting?

Many thanks!
--
Selah
Mike Faithfull

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
Once we finally got the many layers of carpet up, we discovered
that the concrete floor is covered throughout with vinyl tiles.
Now, basically, these provide a decent surface for laying new
surfaces (carpet/laminate/whatever) on, and I really don't want to
lift the lot of them. However, some of them have broken and come
away (mostly where the previous carpets were nailed down), so I'm
left with a 1/2-tile. I'm hoping to fill the gaps with a
self-leveling compound of some sort. Does anyone have any
recommendations of what to use, or is this a stupid thing to be
attempting?

Just been there, done that, and been disappointed. The self-levelling
compound was judged unnecessary by the local builders merchants, and they
advised me to use a cement-rich mortar mix which would "do the job and be
much less expensive". On reflection, I *should* have gone with my first
instinct to buy some cheap self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles from one of the
sheds and cut them to size to fill the gaps. I would commend that approach
to you. With new carpet or vinyl over the top of them, the odd few mm gap
won't be noticed, so the cutting and fitting need not be overly painstaking
and time-consuming.

cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 03:01 PM
Removing tile transfers Barb UK diy 6 July 13th 03 01:25 PM
Chrome tile edging strip. Dave Plowman UK diy 1 July 13th 03 12:55 PM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 12:01 PM