Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NICEIC Q

If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to be
NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 1:12 pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to be
NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

ask em if a Periodic Inspection Cert will do? Adam may have a solution
- (perhaps practical if you're northerly M1 located?)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 1:12*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to be
NICEIC *approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

I suspect that BC are supposed to do this as part of your BN.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to be
NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

If you applied and built it before Part P (which came in about 6
years ago, but I can't remember the date), then they shouldn't
need anything as electrical work wasn't covered by building regs.

If it was after Part P, then it was their responsibility to inspect
and certify it as it was wired up, although lots of LA's try to
wriggle out of this. All you can do at this point if that didn't
happen is get an inspection certificate done (which they should
pay for, but probably won't). It's up to them if they accept an
inspection certificate produced by you, or require one from a
certified body (of which NICEIC is one, but they can't insist on
any specific one). They could be really arsy are refuse to
accept an Inspection Cert, but I don't think there's any other
option at this point.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you
have to be NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you
self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to
close loop on final completion (Building Regs) they want an
electrical installation certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

If you applied and built it before Part P (which came in about 6
years ago, but I can't remember the date), then they shouldn't
need anything as electrical work wasn't covered by building regs.

If it was after Part P, then it was their responsibility to inspect
and certify it as it was wired up, although lots of LA's try to
wriggle out of this.

It is only the LA's responsibility if he asked the LA to certify the
electrics. And it would not be possible to do that prior to part P (1st Jan
2005 ISTR)

All you can do at this point if that didn't
happen is get an inspection certificate done (which they should
pay for, but probably won't). It's up to them if they accept an
inspection certificate produced by you, or require one from a
certified body (of which NICEIC is one, but they can't insist on
any specific one). They could be really arsy are refuse to
accept an Inspection Cert, but I don't think there's any other
option at this point.

An inspection certificate seems to be suitable solution for both sides if
the work was done prior to part P.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 17/02/2011 13:12, Rick Hughes wrote:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to
be NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

Major or minor work in the part P sense?

For minor works I have had a BCO happy to accept my test results on a
standard minor works cert.

For a part P major work (i.e. a "notifiable" one), then you would normally
need to be a member of a body that allows self cert, or which NICEIC is
one of several.

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close
loop on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical
installation certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

If you started the work prior to part P kicking in, then I expect your own
(or none at all) should be acceptable - since it would not have been a
requirement at the outset. (generally in these cases you can elect to go
by the rules as they are now, or as they were at the time the work was
done).

yep started work prior to Part P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 1:12 pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to
be
NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

I suspect that BC are supposed to do this as part of your BN.

BCO can offer to do this, or accept a certificate.

I was in TLC and they were selling packs of these proformas ... awfully
tempting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
[...]

This was a SelfBuild and all this was all prior Part P ... and BCO fees at
that time did not include electrical inspection fees, just requiring a
certificate that it has been done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
[...]

You should be able to issue your own certificate in that case.

You do know that the certificate will never be looked at, you could probably
send in the side of a cornflakes packet for all they are really worth.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Rick Hughes wrote:

This was a SelfBuild and all this was all prior Part P ... and BCO
fees at that time did not include electrical inspection fees, just
requiring a certificate that it has been done.

You should be able to issue your own certificate in that case.

You do know that the certificate will never be looked at, you could probably
send in the side of a cornflakes packet for all they are really worth.

I recently sold my house, that had post-Part P uncertificated wiring
done in the kitchen.

The buyer's solicitor's questionnaire asked:

Q: Has any electrical work been carried out after 2005 Y/N

A: Y

Q: Is a certificate available for this work Y/N

A: N

It would appear that lack of certification is no bar to selling.

TF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:56:14 +0000 Terry Fields wrote :
I recently sold my house, that had post-Part P uncertificated wiring
done in the kitchen.

The buyer's solicitor's questionnaire asked:

Q: Has any electrical work been carried out after 2005 Y/N

A: Y

Q: Is a certificate available for this work Y/N

A: N

Yes, I sold my UK home in 2008 and was quite honest about unapproved
electrical and gas work. Electric question answered as above, gas by
offering a Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate. TBH I do believe that
requiring the latter on sales (as well as annually on tenanted
properties) might genuinely improve safety, unlike Part P.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to
be NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop
on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation
certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

I spoke to BCO this morning.

First off to explain further ..... as well as main house which had Building
Regs submission in 1998, there was a second build of a car/port boat shed
outside that had submission date of 2005.

The house does not need any form of certification ... as it commenced prior
to Dec 2004

The Outbuilding does need BS7671 "Part P Domestic Installation Certificate"
They normally receive an on-line notification via the approved contractor
scheme, but will also accept manual certificates from an approved person ..
NICEIC registration being one such accepted approval.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You do know that the certificate will never be looked at, you could
probably send in the side of a cornflakes packet for all they are really
worth.

now now .... don't get temperamenatal ..

I know the same is true for Gas installs ... I did all my own install other
than gas connection to boiler.
The guy only did up the union nut, on bolier and at meter, and did a gas
test with a naked flame over the union (I though that was stuff of myths)

He issued CORGI safety certificate though so I had what I want .... cost was
200 ciggarettes.

NICEIC periodic testing Andrew Mawson UK diy 2 December 11th 08 10:40 PM
NICEIC gone bust? John Stumbles UK diy 8 June 21st 07 10:28 PM
NICEIC rewire, how many faults? ARWadsworth UK diy 6 December 3rd 06 09:20 PM
NICEIC Contractors ElectriciansForum UK diy 7 June 23rd 05 08:41 AM
Scaremongering (NICEIC) Martin Angove UK diy 51 June 13th 05 01:06 AM