Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trace heating

Does anyone here have experience of self-regulating trace heating
cable within domestic settings? Keen to prevent future 'occurrences'
if December's conditions are repeated, I've been looking at my options
to protect a mixture of 15 and 22mm copper in our eaves.
I have found the following 10W/m cable:
http://www.qvsdirect.com/Trace-J-Sel...-pr-16688.html
What does “Maximum exposure temperatu 85°C - intermittent, 65°C
continuous” actually mean? I'm thinking along the lines of don't power
it up in free air unattached to a pipe. Am I correct?
I notice that the same company sells a connection and end seal kit:
http://www.qvsdirect.com/Frostop-Con...-pr-16689.html
Is this expensive for what it is if I was to install several separate
cable runs? Could I just purchase heatshrink etc of appropriate
diameters instead.
I have read of the need for C type MCBs due to inrush currents,
thermostats, etc.

Would anyone care to do a wiki page along the lines of the one on SWA:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...erminating_SWA

Thank you very much.