Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Trace heating

On Feb 4, 10:42*pm, Part timer wrote:
Does anyone here have experience of self-regulating trace heating
cable within domestic settings? Keen to prevent future 'occurrences'
if December's conditions are repeated, I've been looking at my options
to protect a mixture of 15 and 22mm copper in our eaves.
I have found the following 10W/m cable:http://www.qvsdirect.com/Trace-J-Sel...g-Cable-pr-166...
What does “Maximum exposure temperatu 85°C - intermittent, 65°C
continuous” actually mean? I'm thinking along the lines of don't power
it up in free air unattached to a pipe. Am I correct?
I notice that the same company sells a connection and end seal kit:http://www.qvsdirect.com/Frostop-Con...-pr-16689.html
Is this expensive for what it is if I was to install several separate
cable runs? Could I just purchase heatshrink etc of appropriate
diameters instead.
I have read of the need for C type MCBs due to inrush currents,
thermostats, etc.

Would anyone care to do a wiki page along the lines of the one on SWA:http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...erminating_SWA

Thank you very much.

At £6.75 PER METRE it aint cheap.
I would be concerned that it seems to be intended for maintaining hot
water pipes hot rather than cold water pipes warm enough to prevent
freezing. Most trace heating suppliers offer two versions of self
regulating tape to cater for the two different requirements. Google
Raychem and follow their links.