Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pikey Radar

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Perhaps they follow delivery vans.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike ) wibbled on Monday 24 January 2011 09:29:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it
away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

Mike

At least they asked!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Not a cul-de-sac, but they certainly drive round here regularly.
If I have metal odds and ends to get rid of, I just leave them on
the lawn with "scrap" written on or near them, and within 24
hours they are gone.

When I (foolishly I now realise) paid the council to have a
fridge-freezer removed, it was one of these pick-ups (complete
with documentation - I checked) who collected it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning,
installed early afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they
could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they
got some kind of radar to detect scrap metal?

Perhaps they follow delivery vans.

Colin Bignell

- or noticed it when they were checking out your shed /
vehicle / frontdoor at 3am

John

--
John Mulrooney

Being with you forever just wouldn't be long enough
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Twenty years ago I visited a customer who had a TV shop in South London with
a service road and car park at the rear. He had an extensive TV and VCR
rental business and when he had sufficient defunct units he would put them
out at the back of the shop in preparation for taking a vanload to the local
rubbish dump. He told me that on 95% of occasions he did not need to take
them as they had gone within a short while. He illustrated this by putting a
dozen scrap Betamax and huge Phillips VCRs out. Half an hour latter they had
all vanished. These days you need to be cautious because a licence is
required to carry waste for third parties and if the pikey is stopped and
the goods are traceable to you then the fines can be quite large.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 9:49*am, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[...]

Surely the licence and fine is with the carrier ?
Mind you in the topsy turvy world of GB, a homeowner would probably
be fined if a burgler was found carrying his telly.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Plumber replacing by brother's bath (in London).
Drags the old one down the staircase, outside, and props it against
the railings. Pops back upstairs to get the feet, and back down to
put them with the bath, but it's gone. He left the feet outside in
case they came back, but a few days later the feet were still there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 02:00:33 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:49Â*am, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Twenty years ago I visited a customer who had a TV shop in South London with
a service road and car park at the rear. He had an extensive TV and VCR
rental business and when he Â*had sufficient defunct units he would put them
out at the back of the shop in preparation for taking a vanload to the local
rubbish dump. He told me that on 95% of occasions he did not need to take
them as they had gone within a short while. He illustrated this by putting a
dozen scrap Betamax and huge Phillips VCRs out. Half an hour latter they had
all vanished. These days you need to be cautious because a licence is
required to carry waste for third parties and if the pikey is stopped and
the goods are traceable to you then the fines can be quite large.

Peter Crosland

Surely the licence and fine is with the carrier ?

In any sane society that would be the obvious implementation.
However, this is England we're talking about and yes, in that
case you'd be fined (too).
So whenever you get any building work done, it's something
you have to check that the contractor is licensed for.
In that particular case; where stuff had been taken away without
the owners permission the blame would be far from clear cut - at
least you'd hope so!

Mind you in the topsy turvy world of GB, a homeowner would probably
be fined if a burgler was found carrying his telly.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

If the item was taken without the permission of the householder then it
would technically be theft so the householder would not be liable. I don't
see any problem in making the householder responsible for ensuring that he
used a licensed carrier if it prevents fly tipping which is what happens to
a lot of unauthorised waste collections.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland ) wibbled on Monday 24 January 2011 09:49:

[...]

So it's probably better not to put a sign on them saying "scrap" or similar.
Then you can just say you put them out ready to load the car and by the time
you got the car ready, someone had nicked them!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2011 10:28, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
The Medway writes:
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Plumber replacing by brother's bath (in London).
Drags the old one down the staircase, outside, and props it against
the railings. Pops back upstairs to get the feet, and back down to
put them with the bath, but it's gone. He left the feet outside in
case they came back, but a few days later the feet were still there.

In a way this thread sums up modern Britain. A straightforward
transaction made endlessly complicated
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Of course the householder should be responsible for where his waste ends up.
A few years ago virtually every job I worked on had a couple of cold callers
offering to take the waste away (not scrap) for less than the cost of a
skip. Had we used them then I doubt that the waste would have been disposed
of properly and we would have been as guilty as the unlicensed carrier for
dumping the stuff.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 11:04*am, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
"pete" wrote in message

[...]

Yes but the householder has to take the word of the carrier. Unless
the householder can ask for a copy of the license to prove it - is
that what is supposed to happen?
In that case its like with building regs - responsibility of the
householder, even if they have know knowledge of how the system works.
What if your builder employs some pikeys without a licence. Is the
householder liable or the builder ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Answered in other post !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

...These days you need to be cautious because a licence is
required to carry waste for third parties and if the pikey is stopped and
the goods are traceable to you then the fines can be quite large.

That supposes that they were taking the washing machine away in order
to scrap it.

You, the householder, might very well believe they were taking it away
for reuse, repair or resale.

Although Freecycle can be a pain in the arse - it would put you in a
strong position to claim that you didn't believe it was going to scrap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

I live in a cul-de-sac and the pikeys go around it several times a day.
I have even seen three of them following each other (I wonder if they fight
over stuff?).
If you have a security camera pointing at the street you will see just how
many drive around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 11:53 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"MuddyMike" wrote in message

om...

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

I live in a cul-de-sac and the pikeys go around it several times a day.
I have even seen three of them following each other (I wonder if they fight
over stuff?).
If you have a security camera pointing at the street you will see just how
many drive around.

maybe they are goading you to dob em in Dennis?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2011 09:49, Peter Crosland wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
[...]

I don't think there's much to worry about with what amounts to scrap
metal because it has commercial value and doesn't attract disposal
costs. These small scrap collectors provide a useful service, and it is
one type of business which should be allowed to continue without being
regulated as it allows perhaps poorly educated and unskilled folk to
earn an honest crust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
[...]

That depends if they are burning the insulation off the cables.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it
away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

required to carry waste for third parties and if the pikey is stopped and
the goods are traceable to you then the fines can be quite large.

Peter Crosland

I don't think there's much to worry about with what amounts to scrap metal
because it has commercial value and doesn't attract disposal costs.

I think I have told this tale here in the past.
A builder friend told me a tale of a plumber he uses being stopped at a
roadside checkpoint and amongst other things asked for his waste licence to
cover the old radiator and scrap pipe in the back of the van. As he did not
have one he was duly summoned and fined for carrying waste without a
license.

Madness!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2011 12:46, MuddyMike wrote:

I think I have told this tale here in the past.
A builder friend told me a tale of a plumber he uses being stopped at a
roadside checkpoint and amongst other things asked for his waste licence to
cover the old radiator and scrap pipe in the back of the van. As he did not
have one he was duly summoned and fined for carrying waste without a
license.

JOOI, when does it become waster? If he had it in his van because he was
intending to reuse it in his workshop would an old radiator still be
covered by the directive?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
On 24/01/2011 12:46, MuddyMike wrote:

I think I have told this tale here in the past.
A builder friend told me a tale of a plumber he uses being stopped at a
roadside checkpoint and amongst other things asked for his waste licence
cover the old radiator and scrap pipe in the back of the van. As he did
not
have one he was duly summoned and fined for carrying waste without a
license.

JOOI, when does it become waster? If he had it in his van because he was
intending to reuse it in his workshop would an old radiator still be
covered by the directive?

He knows that now!
Sadly when first asked what they were he apparently answered truthfully
"just junk from a job"

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over after a
number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc , DVLA staff then
check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety issues, Customs staff check
the diesel, Immigration staff check the driver, and apparently local council
staff now check for correct licenses for waste etc.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway *wrote in message
[...]

And leaving the unsaleable bits scattered around the park where
they're squatting for the Council (i.e. the taxpayers) to foot the
clear-up bill, which is always quoted as some enormous figure, along
with FUDding about "hazardous material".

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/..._licence_fine/

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 11:53 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"MuddyMike" wrote in message

om...

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind
of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

I live in a cul-de-sac and the pikeys go around it several times a day.
I have even seen three of them following each other (I wonder if they
fight
over stuff?).
If you have a security camera pointing at the street you will see just
how
many drive around.

maybe they are goading you to dob em in Dennis?

For what? Even a HD camera can't see if they have a transfer license and
they never get anything to take anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Djornsk" wrote in message

I don't think there's much to worry about with what amounts to scrap metal
because it has commercial value and doesn't attract disposal costs. These
small scrap collectors provide a useful service, and it is one type of
business which should be allowed to continue without being regulated as it
allows perhaps poorly educated and unskilled folk to earn an honest crust.

They tend to remove all the plastic and stuff and burn it in an uncontrolled
manner causing dioxins and other nasty stuff to pollute near where they
live.
They should *not* be encouraged as they dishonestly earn the crust in most
cases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
[...]

That never occured to me, although I do remember it being quite common
40 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They should *not* be encouraged as they dishonestly earn the crust in
most cases.

Who doesn't?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 12:23*pm, Djornsk wrote:

I don't think there's much to worry about with what amounts to scrap
metal

Would you like to give me a hand removing the pile of hoses, plastic
tubs and breeze blocks from stripped out washing machines that is
dumped at a corner of a country back lane just near here? Clearly one
of our (many!) itinerant "scrap" collectors has picked up a few dead
washing machines, stripped out the saleable scrap and fly-tipped the
remainder.

I've now buried three of these plastic tubs as part of my SUDS rig for
the garage. Better than buying new plastic, although I expect the
VolksDenPo on the doorstep any minute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
MuddyMike ) wibbled on Monday 24 January 2011
09:29:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it
away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some
kind of radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac
on a Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY
activity. Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

Mike

At least they asked!

Have you ever told them no?

I remember a job a few years ago and the plumber told the pikey he could not
have the scrap. And thats what it became, a good scrap. We had half of the
Notts Police force out dealing with that one.

We ended up with a police escort off the estate and I very nearly got
arrested for threatening behaviour (I had made some comment about petrol
bombs and caravans).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On Jan 24, 11:53 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"MuddyMike" wrote in message

om...

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Its the "early bird" syndrome. They probably tour every cul-de-sac on a
Monday morn to pick up anything thrown out by the weekend DIY activity.
Think yourself honoured they bothered to ask first.

I live in a cul-de-sac and the pikeys go around it several times a day.
I have even seen three of them following each other (I wonder if they fight
over stuff?).
If you have a security camera pointing at the street you will see just how
many drive around.

maybe they are goading you to dob em in Dennis?

Why would denise want to do that to his neighbours?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

No, they just drive along every road they can find.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:20:16 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Are you complaining? :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway writes:
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning, installed early
afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they got some kind of
radar to detect scrap metal?

Plumber replacing by brother's bath (in London).
Drags the old one down the staircase, outside, and props it against
the railings. Pops back upstairs to get the feet, and back down to
put them with the bath, but it's gone. He left the feet outside in
case they came back, but a few days later the feet were still there.

Last year I had to replace the flashing above two porches on an
industrial building. The pikeys had just ripped the lead out, damaging
the sheet metal roof's in the process.

I removed the residue of the lead flashing from the front, left it on
the floor & then went to the back of the building to do the same.

20 mins later I went back round the front and it had gone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check the
driver, and apparently local council staff now check for correct
licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/..._licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:

Last year I had to replace the flashing above two porches on an
industrial building. The pikeys had just ripped the lead out, damaging
the sheet metal roof's in the process.

I removed the residue of the lead flashing from the front, left it on
the floor & then went to the back of the building to do the same.

20 mins later I went back round the front and it had gone!

Neighbour having a new roof put on his house.
The roofer got a roll of flashing out of his van and had
unrolled a few feet along some scafold planks. He went back up
onto the roof to look at something, and saw the pikey legging it
across the road with the roll of flashing. He said it's happened
a few times before and the last thing you do is give chase,
unless you want all the windows smashed at 3am next day...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 17:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
The Medway writes:

Last year I had to replace the flashing above two porches on an
industrial building. The pikeys had just ripped the lead out, damaging
the sheet metal roof's in the process.

I removed the residue of the lead flashing from the front, left it on
the floor& then went to the back of the building to do the same.

20 mins later I went back round the front and it had gone!

Neighbour having a new roof put on his house.
The roofer got a roll of flashing out of his van and had
unrolled a few feet along some scafold planks. He went back up
onto the roof to look at something, and saw the pikey legging it
across the road with the roll of flashing. He said it's happened
a few times before and the last thing you do is give chase,
unless you want all the windows smashed at 3am next day...

A strong pikey to be legging it with a roll of that stuff