Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pikey Radar

"JTM" wrote in message
In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
New washing machine delivered Sunday late morning,
installed early afternoon, old one left on drive.

8:45 this morning pikey's turned up asking (?) if they
could take it away!

We live in a cul-de-sac, no passing traffic - have they
got some kind of radar to detect scrap metal?

Perhaps they follow delivery vans.

Colin Bignell

- or noticed it when they were checking out your shed /
vehicle / frontdoor at 3am

John

--

What a bloody sad state of affairs this country is in.
I could continue but that might take many, many pages.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check the
driver, and apparently local council staff now check for correct
licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/..._licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check the
driver, and apparently local council staff now check for correct
licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...ess/4376401.Pl
umber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

If you go to that website, and click on the link
'Environment Agency'
this takes you to
http://www.environment-agency.org.uk/
where there is a photograph of two men exchanging a 'funny' handshake.
Maybe Mr Jolly didn't shake hands properly with the guys who apprehended
him!
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check the
driver, and apparently local council staff now check for correct
licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...ess/4376401.Pl
umber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

According to the article £150 (pa i presume), he can then dump waste at
the tip for no extra charge
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message ,
writes
In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check
the driver, and apparently local council staff now check for
correct licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...ess/4376401.Pl
umber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are
despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

According to the article £150 (pa i presume), he can then dump waste
at the tip for no extra charge

I don't think it as simple as that now. Personally I make sure my waste is
disposed of legally so I will not buy a license.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 8:24 pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message ,
writes

In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

perhaps they meant the real one

www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message ,
writes
In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

I could not find a way past the hand shake picture to find
anything ;(

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Jim K wrote:

On Jan 25, 8:24 pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message ,
writes

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

If you go to that website, and click on the link
'Environment Agency'
this takes you tohttp://www.environment-agency.org.uk/
where there is a photograph of two men exchanging a 'funny' handshake.
Maybe Mr Jolly didn't shake hands properly with the guys who apprehended
him!
--
Ian

perhaps they meant the real one

www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Jim K

I had a browse through the environment website but it didn't
easily seem to lead to a reference to the actual cost, I thought
someone here would know roughly the cost.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
chris French wrote:

In message ,
writes

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

According to the article £150 (pa i presume), he can then dump waste at
the tip for no extra charge

That's not an unreasonable (yearly) amount if you regularly need
to dump stuff at the tip.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

http://www.environment-agency.org.uk/

I could not find a way past the hand shake picture to find
anything ;(

No problems here. Is your computer working?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article ,
says...
I don't think it as simple as that now. Personally I make sure my waste is
disposed of legally so I will not buy a license.

Commonest way is to tell the customer it's their problem.

There are no problems, only challenges

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article ,
says...
I don't think it as simple as that now. Personally I make sure my waste is
disposed of legally so I will not buy a license.

Commonest way is to tell the customer it's their problem.

There are no problems, only challenges

That's old terminology. In recent years, it has become obligatory to
refer to 'problems' as 'issues'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:12:54 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

That's old terminology. In recent years, it has become obligatory to
refer to 'problems' as 'issues'.

Argh! I hate that.

"Problems" can have solutions or work arounds.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/problem

"Issues"? WTF has that got to do with something that is faulty, out
of alignment or otherwise not preforming as expeced?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/issue

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

I had a browse through the environment website but it didn't
easily seem to lead to a reference to the actual cost, I thought
someone here would know roughly the cost.

********************

Fees are here
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...rs/121789.aspx
£154 to register as a waste carrier.

Charges for dumping said waste would be completely separate.

Members of the 'schemes' (eg niceic/napit) are encouraged to have waste
disposal policies and licences. For the one-man-bands the best policy seems
to be leave it with your customer as domestic waste!

Regards
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-01-26, BruceB wrote:

Members of the 'schemes' (eg niceic/napit) are encouraged to have waste
disposal policies and licences. For the one-man-bands the best policy
seems
to be leave it with your customer as domestic waste!

Something I will generally not accept, except for tiny quantities. Taking
away the waste is part of the job. And no, I don't mind paying for it.

*********************
For which I admire and agree with your attitude, except the paying bit.
I do resent paying yet another tax.
It is just a job and revenue creation scheme without any benefit to the
environment.

Regards
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-01-26, BruceB wrote:

Members of the 'schemes' (eg niceic/napit) are encouraged to have
waste disposal policies and licences. For the one-man-bands the
best policy seems to be leave it with your customer as domestic
waste!

Something I will generally not accept, except for tiny quantities.
Taking away the waste is part of the job. And no, I don't mind paying
for it.

Personally I'm happy to take rubbish (within reasonable limits) to the
council tip myself knowing that it avoids having to pay someone else to do
it who may well NOT actually do it, but fly tip it instead.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:

And solutions. Ugh.

Our local supermarket has "meal solutions" written on a placard attached
to the ready meal section of the fridge. Now call me daft, but isn't
that soup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , %steve%
@malloc.co.uk says...
And solutions. Ugh.

Our local supermarket has "meal solutions" written on a placard attached
to the ready meal section of the fridge. Now call me daft, but isn't
that soup?

Possibly dishwater. Or Guiness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 20:25, chris French wrote:
In message ,
writes
In message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

It was one of those roadside checks where the police pull you over
after a number plate recognition camera has checked for Tax etc ,
DVLA staff then check the vehicle, VOSA staff check for safety
issues, Customs staff check the diesel, Immigration staff check the
driver, and apparently local council staff now check for correct
licenses for waste etc.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...ess/4376401.Pl
umber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine/

Jobsworth arseholes. Christ, is it any wonder these people are despised?

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

According to the article £150 (pa i presume), he can then dump waste at
the tip for no extra charge

Don't you believe it! You can't go to a council tip & you have to pay
every time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-01-26, wrote:

Members of the 'schemes' (eg niceic/napit) are encouraged to have waste
disposal policies and licences. For the one-man-bands the best policy seems
to be leave it with your customer as domestic waste!

Something I will generally not accept, except for tiny quantities. Taking
away the waste is part of the job. And no, I don't mind paying for it.

Its a problem for little guys like me. £150 for the license, payment to
dump stuff & the nearest private tip is 12 miles away.

Most of my jobs involve either no, or very little waste - which I bag &
let the customer dispose of. I find 99% accept that if you explain
things in advance. Anything bigger & I have to ask the customer to get
a skip - or turn the job down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message ,
writes

http://www.environment-agency.org.uk/

I could not find a way past the hand shake picture to find
anything ;(

No problems here. Is your computer working?

Yes its the javascript.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Chris Wilson wrote:

wrote in :

In message
chris French wrote:

In message ,
writes

That's scandalous, but for curiosity how much would it cost said
plumber for a waste license?

According to the article £150 (pa i presume), he can then dump waste at
the tip for no extra charge

That's not an unreasonable (yearly) amount if you regularly need
to dump stuff at the tip.

That's the cost for the transport licence ... not what you may be charged
at the tip.

So you pay to have a waste licence and still have to pay at the
tip.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
"BruceB" wrote:

wrote in message ...

I had a browse through the environment website but it didn't
easily seem to lead to a reference to the actual cost, I thought
someone here would know roughly the cost.

********************

Fees are here
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...rs/121789.aspx
£154 to register as a waste carrier.

Charges for dumping said waste would be completely separate.

Members of the 'schemes' (eg niceic/napit) are encouraged to have waste
disposal policies and licences. For the one-man-bands the best policy seems
to be leave it with your customer as domestic waste!

Regards
Bruce

Thanks for providing the info, I couldn't find it.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

I suspect this is the sort of thing that varies from council to council.
I was just quoting what the council bod in the article was saying.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:12:54 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

That's old terminology. In recent years, it has become obligatory to
refer to 'problems' as 'issues'.

Argh! I hate that.

"Problems" can have solutions or work arounds.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/problem

"Issues"? WTF has that got to do with something that is faulty, out
of alignment or otherwise not preforming as expeced?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/issue

IF you have water issuing from your heat exchanger you have a problem
.... and a challenge

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:35:52 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

So you pay to have a waste licence and still have to pay at the
tip.

You do round here - weighbridge at the entrance and you pay for the
difference.

And here at just under £50/tonne (inc land fill tax) for "general
waste" with a minimum load of 1.5 tonne... And it has to be one of
the three land fill sites in the county not one of the large HWRCs.

--
Cheers
Dave.