Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem spotted after oven install

Hoping someone can help with this one. SWMBO ordered a new built-in
double oven to replace a 15 year old existing one. No problems getting
the old one out and the new oven in and the mains cable was in excellent
condition. It is a 3 core, 4mm, Butyl multistrand fitted during a
kitchen refit 3 - 4 years ago. The old oven had a maximum rating of 5.5
KW with everything on.

So far so good until we used the new grill for the first time and saw
the energy meter showing 6 KW. The manual says to use 6mm T&E cable and
I just thought this was being overcautious but I'm not so sure now.

The RCD is 32 Amp and the whole circuit up to the cooker terminals is
4mm T&E so, do I have a major problem rearing its head?
--
James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 7:13*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/01/2011 06:27, James Noble wrote:

Hoping someone can help with this one. SWMBO ordered a new built-in
double oven to replace a 15 year old existing one. No problems getting
the old one out and the new oven in and the mains cable was in excellent
condition. It is a 3 core, 4mm, Butyl multistrand fitted during a
kitchen refit 3 - 4 years ago. The old oven had a maximum rating of 5.5
KW with everything on.

So far so good until we used the new grill for the first time and saw
the energy meter showing 6 KW. The manual says to use 6mm T&E cable and
I just thought this was being overcautious but I'm not so sure now.

The RCD is 32 Amp and the whole circuit up to the cooker terminals is
4mm T&E so, do I have a major problem rearing its head?

The short answer is no, not a problem.

The OSG says, a 32A circuit is usually adequate for household cookers of
a rating of up to 15kW (65A). This is because diversity plays a
significant part in reducing the average load. So the diverse load for a
6kW (26A) cooker is taken as 10A + 30% of the remaining actual load. So
in this case 10 + 30% of 16A = 14.8A. Add another 5A if your cooker
point has a socket.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...le#Cable_Sizes

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tabby writes
[...]

My thanks to you and John Rumm for the very useful information. My
original measurement of the grill power was far too high due, as I now
know, to failing batteries on my power meter, I found the rating plate
this morning and it says that the maximum load is 6.2 KW so using the
formula this would mean approximately 18 Amps if I have done the maths
correctly.

As it happens the oven is being replaced tomorrow as it has 4 faults on
it, sticky light switch on main oven door, scratched inner door glass,
rumbling fan and a grill that is wired up incorrectly. Considering it
retails at over GBP 800, I'm not impressed!

Thanks again!
--
James Noble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 8:20*am, James Noble wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes

[...]

6.2kW = 26A
I'm not sure you'll gain much by changing it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Noble wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes
[...]

Yes 18A is the value that applies for diversity. However you need not worry
about that in this case as even without diversity you would be running at
27A which is below your 32A supply. Quite often the manuals are written to
cover the manufactures arse and overengineer things.

Cheers
--
Adam