Phil Schuman

Default oven gas line install - questions

We just had a new stove installed (gas),
and have a couple of questions.

#1 -
I noticed that the stainless flex hose needed a sizing adapter
that was "straight cut" on the end that connected into the stove.
But the other end that connected into the flex hose
was "beveled/pointed/flared cut"...
The installer used pipe compound on the "straight" end into the stove,
but did not put any on the "flared" end threads.
WHY ?
That end had a tiny pin-hole leak
we discovered a week later with "blowing bubbles".

#2 -
I used my kids blowing bubbles to track down that very tiny leak...
We would just get a whiff of gas around the stove every so often.
Any other techniques or liquids to track down these kinds of things ??
Also - to find the leak on the vertical stove connection,
how the heck do you put the liquid UP onto the connector
ie - male flare is pointing up, and the female flex hose screws onto
it.
hhmmm - never knew gas lines could be so erotic
Anyway... I was spooning the bubbles over the connector
and it was really hard to get it UP into the screw adapter connector
area -
Almost needed a "bubble thickener" - maybe just a Q-tip vs a spoon -

tnx for any comments - Phil -

Michael Daly

On 7-Oct-2005, "Phil Schuman" wrote:

I used my kids blowing bubbles to track down that very tiny leak...

Who installed this? That shouldn't happen with a reputable gas
installer. He should have checked it before leaving.

Call your gas company and complain if it's one of their techs and
compain about the installer if it's an independent - the gas company
should check this guy out.

Mike
Stormin Mormon

"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
news We just had a new stove installed (gas),
and have a couple of questions.

#1 -
I noticed that the stainless flex hose needed a sizing adapter
that was "straight cut" on the end that connected into the stove.
CY: Probably pipe thread.

But the other end that connected into the flex hose
was "beveled/pointed/flared cut"...
CY: sounds like flare fitting.

The installer used pipe compound on the "straight" end into the stove,
but did not put any on the "flared" end threads.
WHY ?
CY: The flared end (should be) gas tight.

#2 -
I used my kids blowing bubbles to track down that very tiny leak...
We would just get a whiff of gas around the stove every so often.
Any other techniques or liquids to track down these kinds of things ??
CY: Yes, several companies make electronic detectors. Tif and TPI are good.
I like my TPI better, the one time I needed customer service, they were
excellent.

Also - to find the leak on the vertical stove connection,
how the heck do you put the liquid UP onto the connector
ie - male flare is pointing up, and the female flex hose screws onto
it.
CY: Turn stove on side. Or, use a beeper.

hhmmm - never knew gas lines could be so erotic
Anyway... I was spooning the bubbles over the connector
and it was really hard to get it UP into the screw adapter connector
area -
Almost needed a "bubble thickener" - maybe just a Q-tip vs a spoon -
CY: One type of leak detector does use a fuzzball on a wire, inside the cap.

tnx for any comments - Phil -
CY: Glad you found the leak.

Phil Schuman

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Anyway... I was spooning the bubbles over the connector
and it was really hard to get it UP into the screw adapter connector
area -
Almost needed a "bubble thickener" - maybe just a Q-tip vs a spoon -
CY: One type of leak detector does use a fuzzball on a wire, inside

the cap.

any specific name or brand - I didn't see ANYTHING at Home Deport -

Stormin Mormon

http://www.myjohnstone.com/ProductDe...ockNum=B81-166

You might not find anything at HD. They aren't a refrigeration wholesale
supply.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
. ..

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Anyway... I was spooning the bubbles over the connector
and it was really hard to get it UP into the screw adapter connector
area -
Almost needed a "bubble thickener" - maybe just a Q-tip vs a spoon -
CY: One type of leak detector does use a fuzzball on a wire, inside

the cap.

any specific name or brand - I didn't see ANYTHING at Home Deport -

Berkshire Bill

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
http://www.myjohnstone.com/ProductDe...ockNum=B81-166

You might not find anything at HD. They aren't a refrigeration wholesale
supply.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
It's longer in the short run
but shorter in the long run.
.
.

What's a gas stove got to do with refrigeration ?

Phil Schuman

"Berkshire Bill" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
http://www.myjohnstone.com/ProductDe...ockNum=B81-166

You might not find anything at HD. They aren't a refrigeration

wholesale
supply.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
It's longer in the short run
but shorter in the long run.
.
.

What's a gas stove got to do with refrigeration ?

after seeing the web pages - it's basically all the same -
testing for a "leak" from some kind of pressurized gas line,
regardless of what is running in the line - well, cold vs warm -
see here - scroll down a bit - a liquid used on the connections
that will create bubbles from the "gas" escaping -
http://www.supco.com/Chemicals%20pg2.htm