Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fix leaks under garage walls..?

I have an old concrete-section garage. Water pools outside at the base
in a couple of places and eventually works it's way between the walls
and the base to the inside.
I've had a stab at filling the gap with a bit of crude pointing to no
avail - it may delay it slightly but it still comes in.

Might 'trowel mastic' be the answer?
Any other bright ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jhiker" wrote in message
I have an old concrete-section garage. Water pools outside at the base
in a couple of places and eventually works it's way between the walls
and the base to the inside.
I've had a stab at filling the gap with a bit of crude pointing to no
avail - it may delay it slightly but it still comes in.

Might 'trowel mastic' be the answer?
Any other bright ideas?

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:11:09 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Jim K

It's a concrete floor and I'm not drilling holes anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jhiker wrote:

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Jim K

It's a concrete floor and I'm not drilling holes anywhere.

If the garage was erected on a pre-cast slab, you can add a slope to the
outside bit with some sand/cement, this will take water away from the base
of the walls

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

Not if he drills through the base.
The water will just drain into the soil. I've done it.

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 2:29*pm, jhiker wrote:
I have an old concrete-section garage. Water pools outside at the base
in a couple of places and eventually works it's way between the walls
and the base to the inside.
I've had a stab at filling the gap with a bit of crude pointing to no
avail - it may delay it slightly but it still comes in.

Might 'trowel mastic' be the answer?
Any other bright ideas?

These garages normally have a cement fillet all the way round on the
inside against the walls. This can be painted with epoxy paint. As
someone else said, drill hole through the base where the water puddles
on the outside & let it drain away. Also have gutters and down pipe to
convey the water well clear of the slab.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Jim K

Good idea.

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jhiker" wrote in message

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Jim K

It's a concrete floor and I'm not drilling holes anywhere.

Only very small holes.

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Drill some small holes in the floor and let the water drain away.
Out of sight - out of mind.

Visions of low-lying garage with little fountains inside... :-)

--
Geo

except holes would be outside? ;)

Aah - I see - our floor is on the inside...

--
Geo