Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default isolating and non return valves

I am about to install a new mixer tap to a small basin in a small
cloakroom. The tap comes with flexible hot & cold "pipes". As the
cold supply is mains, non return valves are required by the regs, but
I also want isolation valves for future convenient maintenance. As
there isn't much room, I was wondering if you can buy a non return
valve with a built in isolator. I haven't been able to find such a
thing on the internet. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 4:04*pm, kent wrote:
I am about to install a new mixer tap to a small basin in a small
cloakroom. *The tap comes with flexible hot & cold "pipes". *As the
cold supply is mains, non return valves are required by the regs, but
I also want isolation valves for future convenient maintenance. *As
there isn't much room, I was wondering if you can buy a non return
valve with a built in isolator. *I haven't been able to find such a
thing on the internet. *Any other suggestions? *Thanks.

You don't need non-return valve except on certain mixer taps where the
hot and cold water come together inside the spout of the tap. You can
buy flexible connectors with isolator valves attached.
I sometime wonder if it's worth the trouble, the b*******d valve
things seem to be corroded/scaled up when you want them. When you try
to operate them, the screw head breaks off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2011 16:04, kent wrote:
I am about to install a new mixer tap to a small basin in a small
cloakroom. The tap comes with flexible hot& cold "pipes". As the
cold supply is mains, non return valves are required by the regs, but
I also want isolation valves for future convenient maintenance. As
there isn't much room, I was wondering if you can buy a non return
valve with a built in isolator. I haven't been able to find such a
thing on the internet. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

The non-return valve can a few feet back along the supply pipe - as long
as the pipe it's in serves *only* that tap.

Get isolator valves with a decent handle, like this: [1]
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89226/...th-Handle-15mm
They're much easier to operate than those requiring a screwdriver.

[1] You can also get them with red and blue handles to make it easy to
distinguish between hot and cold.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get isolator valves with a decent handle, like this: [1]http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89226/Plumbing/Brassware/Flowflex-Isola...
They're much easier to operate than those requiring a screwdriver.

[1] You can also get them with red and blue handles to make it easy to
distinguish between hot and cold.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Thanks for your advice, guys. It has been really useful and I have
sorted out in my head what I will do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:33:07 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 13/01/2011 16:04, kent wrote:
I am about to install a new mixer tap to a small basin in a small
cloakroom. The tap comes with flexible hot& cold "pipes". As the
cold supply is mains, non return valves are required by the regs, but
I also want isolation valves for future convenient maintenance. As
there isn't much room, I was wondering if you can buy a non return
valve with a built in isolator. I haven't been able to find such a
thing on the internet. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

The non-return valve can a few feet back along the supply pipe - as long
as the pipe it's in serves *only* that tap.

Get isolator valves with a decent handle, like this: [1]
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89226/...th-Handle-15mm
They're much easier to operate than those requiring a screwdriver.

[1] You can also get them with red and blue handles to make it easy to
distinguish between hot and cold.

Depends if those are decent handles or not Some makes have the
handles made of plastic that disintegrates when they have been left a
few years without been moved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13/01/2011 16:04, kent wrote:
[...]

True. That usually leaves a metal lug which you can turn with a pair of
pliers, though. But when the type with a recessed screw gives up, you're
stuffed!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 15 Jan,
Roger Mills wrote:

True. That usually leaves a metal lug which you can turn with a pair of
pliers, though. But when the type with a recessed screw gives up, you're
stuffed!

I've found the odd one (on my boiler) that has sheared the shaft so just as
bad as a recessed screw type.

I've recently used Pegler full bore ones with handles, no failures yet, but
too soon to tell.

One advantage of handles is you can easily exercise them without a
screwdriver, ensuring that they will work when needed. The ones in the airing
cupboard get done, the ones above the boiler need steps so don't get done --
I must do so!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Concreting in Isolating Valves TheScullster UK diy 2 May 23rd 09 07:13 AM
Isolating valves David UK diy 9 March 30th 09 09:09 PM
Isolating ball valves John UK diy 1 August 30th 08 01:19 PM
CH pump and isolating valves. Paul Kelly UK diy 2 June 1st 08 10:23 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM