Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concreting in Isolating Valves

Hi all

Following on from my Serendipity post, as repairs were being done to my
in-floor piping, the plumber capped off hot and cold water feeds with
isolating valves.
As we had been turning water on and off, this seemed a sensible temporary
measure. But then he started to offer pipe up to these valves as though he
intended to leave these in place. I must have looked visibly shocked when
questioning him about this, because he offered to remove them and use only
solder fittings.
All the piping (and these valves had I not been there) were to be concreted
into the floor!
Has anyone seen compression valves concreted in like this before (albeit
covered with Denso tape) - any comments?
The plumber claimed that it was acceptable, except on gas.

In hindsight, I'm well glad that I insisted on removal of these, as they
were reduced bore and therefore a *very* inaccessible place where pipe
blockage would be more likely to occur.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Has anyone seen compression valves concreted in like this before

What the eye don't see the chef gets away with (Fawlty Towers).

Probably fairly minor in the can't be bothered to do it properly stakes.
I have the roof of an extension that's spreading because the builders
couldn't be ar$ed to rip up a flat roof that was underneath to put some
joists in.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
[...]

I saw something similar on a extension last week.

I would not be happy if it was my extesion and you were right to ask for
their removal.

Adam

Isolating valves David UK diy 9 March 30th 09 09:09 PM
Isolating ball valves John UK diy 1 August 30th 08 01:19 PM
replacing bathroom suite - isolating valves benpost UK diy 25 August 25th 08 08:22 PM
CH pump and isolating valves. Paul Kelly UK diy 2 June 1st 08 10:23 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM