Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolating valves

Hi there,

Stupid questions here.

What is the difference between a standard isolating valve and a full
bore isolating valve?

What is the best type of isolating valve used to isolate a sink?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

What is the difference between a standard isolating valve and a full
bore isolating valve?

Std have a flow restriction, typically around a 10mm diameter bore, full
bore have 15mm bore - thus not restricting the flow at all.
For a downstairs sink, I have found no problem with using std. iso
valves. If you have a poor flow from your present taps, then full bore
may be the better choice. If both hot and cold are at mains pressure,
then std. will be fine.

What is the best type of isolating valve used to isolate a sink?

I've been using the type with a handle recently, much quicker to turn
off.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16505

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar, 19:11, (A.Lee) wrote:
David wrote:
What is the difference between a standard isolating valve and a full
bore isolating valve?

Std have a flow restriction, typically around a 10mm diameter bore, full
bore have 15mm bore - thus not restricting the flow at all.
For a downstairs sink, I have found no problem with using std. iso
valves. If you have a poor flow from your present taps, then full bore
may be the better choice. If both hot and cold are at mains pressure,
then std. will be fine.

What is the best type of isolating valve used to isolate a sink?

I've been using the type with a handle recently, much quicker to turn
off.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16505

Lol, check out the review.

Alan.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
On 29 Mar, 19:11, (A.Lee) wrote:
David wrote:
What is the difference between a standard isolating valve and a full
bore isolating valve?

Std have a flow restriction, typically around a 10mm diameter bore,
full bore have 15mm bore - thus not restricting the flow at all.
For a downstairs sink, I have found no problem with using std. iso
valves. If you have a poor flow from your present taps, then full
bore may be the better choice. If both hot and cold are at mains
pressure, then std. will be fine.

What is the best type of isolating valve used to isolate a sink?

I've been using the type with a handle recently, much quicker to turn
off.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16505

Lol, check out the review.

I wonder if the reviewer fitted it the right way around?

I use the SF 79p cheapies, never had the sightest problem with them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote

Std have a flow restriction, typically around a 10mm diameter bore, full
bore have 15mm bore - thus not restricting the flow at all.

The so called "service" valves with a screw slot shut off tend to have a
smaller bore than 10mm in my experience.
If you have the traditional gravity hot water, then I would always fit full
bore valves on this to maintain flow.
If you have mains pressure cold, then the reduced bore service valves will
be fine.
Only gripe I have with the service valves is that they seem inclined to
develop a leak passed the valve stem IME

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 09:15, "TheScullster" wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote

Std have a flow restriction, typically around a 10mm diameter bore, full
bore have 15mm bore - thus not restricting the flow at all.

The so called "service" valves with a screw slot shut off tend to have a
smaller bore than 10mm in my experience.
If you have the traditional gravity hot water, then I would always fit full
bore valves on this to maintain flow.
If you have mains pressure cold, then the reduced bore service valves will
be fine.
Only gripe I have with the service valves is that they seem inclined to
develop a leak passed the valve stem IME

Phil

Cheers for the replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 30 Mar,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

wrote:
On 29 Mar,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

I wonder if the reviewer fitted it the right way around?

Which way is that? The last ones I bought were full bore pegler ones.
I'd exect them to be marked if it mattered.

The ones I use have an arrow denoting the direction of flow, fitted the
wrong wya around they don't shut off properly.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67670/...5mm-Pack-of-10

I've had trouble with cheap ones leaking when the wrong way round. The
ones I
fitted recently weren't marked, so I've assumed (until I know better) that
they can be fitted eithr way.

Which way round would one be fitted in the return from CH radiators?

Why would you want one there?

I have them fitted to isolate parts of the system so that it can be
drained
independantly (and the downstairs bog (on whenever anything else is) can
be
isolated in the summer). The one on the return is fitted in the direction
of
the flow, but then leaks when it is used for isolation (just like the gate
valve it replaced!).

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Think about where the head of water is - irrespective of the flow direction.

Isolating ball valves John UK diy 1 August 30th 08 01:19 PM
replacing bathroom suite - isolating valves benpost UK diy 25 August 25th 08 08:22 PM
CH pump and isolating valves. Paul Kelly UK diy 2 June 1st 08 10:23 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM
Best Isolating valves for Central Heating Pumps?? Frank Sweeting UK diy 9 October 3rd 03 08:45 AM