Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing m/c reluctant to start

I normally set the machine to start via a timer to make use of Economy
7.

In that past few weeks the machine hasn't started up immediately, and
it may be several hours or even next day before it kicks in.

I've taken the timer off and last week I switched the machine on at
9am. Nothing happened until it came to life at 10pm the next evening!

Power is there - it will kick off on a spin cycle for instance.

What is likely to be the problem?

TIA

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I normally set the machine to start via a timer to make use of Economy
7.

In that past few weeks the machine hasn't started up immediately, and
it may be several hours or even next day before it kicks in.

I've taken the timer off and last week I switched the machine on at
9am. Nothing happened until it came to life at 10pm the next evening!

Power is there - it will kick off on a spin cycle for instance.

What is likely to be the problem?

TIA

I would hazard a guess it's the door thermal interlock to stop it opening
and throw a contact to start the program. In mine there were a couple of
thermister disks which had trouble making contact, and hence didn't heat up
the bimetalic ,mechanical (inter) lock.

I took mine apart and after a few scrapes and cleaning up surfaces I've had
trouble free operation. Getting a hand between the drum and machine front
is fraught if you have large arms!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:13:52 -0000, "Fredxx" wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I normally set the machine to start via a timer to make use of Economy
7.

In that past few weeks the machine hasn't started up immediately, and
it may be several hours or even next day before it kicks in.

I've taken the timer off and last week I switched the machine on at
9am. Nothing happened until it came to life at 10pm the next evening!

Power is there - it will kick off on a spin cycle for instance.

What is likely to be the problem?

TIA

I would hazard a guess it's the door thermal interlock to stop it opening
and throw a contact to start the program. In mine there were a couple of
thermister disks which had trouble making contact, and hence didn't heat up
the bimetalic ,mechanical (inter) lock.

Wouldn't that prevent any cycle from operating though? It's just the
wash cycle that's playing up. I can turn the dial to a spin cycle and
that will work every time.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, you said the machine wouldn't start.

On mine there's also mechanical interlock which is engaged when rotating the
programmer.

The programmer has to be in one of a number of physical positions otherwise
I can't open the door, so that when power's off, I can't inadvertently open
the door when it's full of water. It could be that these two interlocks
interact in some way or another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

I also said

Power is there - it will kick off on a spin cycle for instance.

Thanks for responding nonetheless.

Anyone else have any ideas please? Is it likely to be the dial,
voltage issues, water inlet, water pressure?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Its hard to see how it would be anything other than the programmer,
aka the main pcb nowadays. You might get an identical scrapped machine
for the part.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

I was a bit hasty in dismissing your diagnosis. The machine would
sometimes work if I kicked the door shut, but still other times it
might take 24-48 hrs before it decided to start the wash cycle. Once
started it was fine.

The door interlock showed signs of overheating (there's a brilliant
videojug video showing how to get the lock out), and with some help
from the folk at www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk the correct part for this 17yr
old machine was identified, received and fitted next day and machine
is now working.

Thanks for the pointers.

--
AnthonyL