Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx Fredxx is offline

Default Washing m/c reluctant to start

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:13:52 -0000, "Fredxx" wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I normally set the machine to start via a timer to make use of Economy
7.

In that past few weeks the machine hasn't started up immediately, and
it may be several hours or even next day before it kicks in.

I've taken the timer off and last week I switched the machine on at
9am. Nothing happened until it came to life at 10pm the next evening!

Power is there - it will kick off on a spin cycle for instance.

What is likely to be the problem?

TIA

I would hazard a guess it's the door thermal interlock to stop it opening
and throw a contact to start the program. In mine there were a couple of
thermister disks which had trouble making contact, and hence didn't heat
up
the bimetalic ,mechanical (inter) lock.

Wouldn't that prevent any cycle from operating though? It's just the
wash cycle that's playing up. I can turn the dial to a spin cycle and
that will work every time.

Sorry, you said the machine wouldn't start.

On mine there's also mechanical interlock which is engaged when rotating the
programmer.

The programmer has to be in one of a number of physical positions otherwise
I can't open the door, so that when power's off, I can't inadvertently open
the door when it's full of water. It could be that these two interlocks
interact in some way or another.