Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody tradesmen :-)

With our existing built in leccy oven looking worse for wear, we
treated ourselves to a new gas double. It was delivered on Wednesday,
and I called a gas fitter recommended by the MiL, who said he'd be
there on Thursday to look at the job, between 9 and 10.

9:30, doorbell rings, I show the nice man (from Stourbridge) the job.
Immediately he says no problem, gives me a quote (£70 + parts), and
starts work. Declines offer of cup of tea, but his mate takes one
(white, sugar).

He cut off the existing gas outlet, made a "T" shaped spur, and
rejoined the bayonet connection for the hob, and put a new one for the
oven in. He placed it to the left of the oven, so I can disconnect the
oven without removing it.

He even wired in the plug (which I said I would do, but he wanted to
leave it all working).

Pressure tested too.

Left before 10:30 with £70 + £20 for the hose. The job is neat, no
mess.

What the hell is the world coming to ? I feel cheated. I was expecting
missed appointments, late arrivals, lots of sucking of breath, a final
charge that bore no relation to the quote, a messy job ....

How much discount do tradesmen get? Martin Wiseman UK diy 27 April 23rd 21 01:53 PM
Tradesmen mark UK diy 6 November 7th 09 01:36 PM
Tradesmen! Am I Being Ripped Off!!!! handypandy UK diy 49 April 21st 07 08:42 AM
Complaining about tradesmen.... magpie UK diy 14 October 8th 06 05:23 PM
OT : Recommended tradesmen Chris Styles UK diy 1 May 17th 06 09:31 AM