Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] which music device in car??

The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill ) wibbled on Tuesday 04 January 2011
11:06:

The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

MP3 player would be very suitable - you should be able to find one that has
a wireless remote that can be stuck on the dash or steering wheel for safer
and easier track shifting.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which music device in car??

On Jan 4, 6:06*am, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? *how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music. Beware of
tiny displays.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 11:06, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

My old car (Volvo V70) had a really neat after market IPOD interface
which presented the contents of the IPOD in a way that could be searched
and selected through the car ICE. It was very neat and the fidelity was
fantastic.

My current car has no such option, just has a 3.5mm input jack but to me
the sound quality is so ****ty it's unusable.

Out of interest have you tried inserting a data (not audio) disk with CD
tracks "ripped" to MP3? If this works, you can get 10 or so CD's onto a
data CD and no hassle at all.

If you are inclined towards an MP3 player of some kind borrow one and
test the quality first, bear in mind that MP3 functionality exists in
most newer mobile phones for free....it may be that a nice phone and
suitable car holder will be a more elegant solution....plus bring bonus
brownie points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 11:24*am, Tabby wrote:

MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music. Beware of
tiny displays.

NT

Agreed, I gave up trying this method as it was too darned dangerous
messing about with an MP3 player whilst driving. A phone with a big
display could be a better bet; personally I went for a cheapo car
stereo with USB stick playback functionality. Not perfect but easier
to navigate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/4/2011 11:06 AM, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that
I can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific
tune from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

Aren't there any devices with Flash memory cards like a camera?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
airsmoothed writes
On Jan 4, 11:24*am, Tabby wrote:

MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music. Beware of
tiny displays.

NT

Agreed, I gave up trying this method as it was too darned dangerous
messing about with an MP3 player whilst driving. A phone with a big
display could be a better bet; personally I went for a cheapo car
stereo with USB stick playback functionality. Not perfect but easier
to navigate.

I've not found navigating it a problem, even on one with a smallish
display, depends on the interface though. Though something with a nice
big display can be easier. Though not while driving but then I'm more
likely to just set off a playlist and leave it too it.

most annoying thing using an MP3 player is that it doesn't stop when the
radio/CD player turns off. OK with music, annoying with an audiobook
when you forget to stop it.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

Ipod with Harman/Kardon car interface works well for me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harman-kardo.../dp/B000DZ834W
(these can be found much cheaper with a bit of searching, I paid about £50
on ebay a few years back).

Solves the issue of navigating the ipod easily, and stops the ipod when you
turn off the ignition.

Some aftermarket head-units have reasonable ipod control functionality also.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JMB JMB is offline

On Jan 4, 12:03*pm, Donwill wrote:

Aren't there any devices with Flash memory cards like a camera?

Not many (although recent Audis allow you to use an SD card).

For Christmas I got a Sony CDX-GT35U which plays CDs loaded with MP3s
and also allows you to plug in a usb device. I now need a tiny usb
stick to go into it - the Lacie Moskeyto seems to fit the bill. This
means I can have loads of music without having to mess about with CDs.
I also got an adapter that allows the Renault steering wheel controls
to control it.

I'm less keen on using a MP3 player via the AUX-IN because (as someone
else pointed out) you need to change the album by fiddling with the
player and it doesn't stop when you stop the car. I think more
expensive units can control the Ipod for you.

JB.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 12:57*pm, JMB wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:03*pm, Donwill wrote:

Aren't there any devices with Flash memory cards like a camera?

Not many (although recent Audis allow you to use an SD card).

For Christmas I got a Sony CDX-GT35U which plays CDs loaded with MP3s
and also allows you to plug in a usb device. I now need a tiny usb
stick to go into it - the Lacie Moskeyto seems to fit the bill. This
means I can have loads of music without having to mess about with CDs.
I also got an adapter that allows the Renault steering wheel controls
to control it.

I'm less keen on using a MP3 player via the AUX-IN because (as someone
else pointed out) you need to change the album by fiddling with the
player and it doesn't stop when you stop the car. I think more
expensive units can control the Ipod for you.

JB.

Most decent car radio/CDs now seem to have a USB port, so if you
already have mp3 music on your computer, it's simple to transfer it to
a data stick and plug that in. No need for an mp3 player as such.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 :
Out of interest have you tried inserting a data (not audio) disk with
CD tracks "ripped" to MP3? If this works, you can get 10 or so CD's
onto a data CD and no hassle at all.

I'll second that suggestion.

My Audi even shows the names of the artist, album, and track on the
radio display. Navigation is a doddle.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
On 1/4/2011 11:06 AM, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio. The car radio has a 3.5mm jack
socket and a power socket close to. Carrying many CD's in the car is a
pain, so I would like a device that I can record my collection of CDs
on to it, how difficult would that be? I assume they have a large
memory? how many CDs will they hold? Would a so called MP3 player be
suitable? can you select a specific tune from them as you drive? Any
other recommendation? Don

Aren't there any devices with Flash memory cards like a camera?

My Blaupunkt DAB radio has one. You can record to it too. Handy if you're
in the middle of listening to a play etc when you get to your destination.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 11:06*am, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device that I
can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult would that be?
I assume they have a large memory? *how many CDs will they hold?
Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select a specific tune
from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

Any MP3 player would suffice, from iPod touch to Bush.
The Sandisk Sansa (from Amazon for example) accepts Micro/mini sd
cards and has quite a clear display.
I'm fortunate that my in car system plays MP3s off CDs and all 6 of
them in my CD changer do so. That's nearly 10 times the capacity per
CD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 4:52*pm, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
[...]

Oh and as per capacity? 2Gb could fit say 200-300 songs depending on
the 'bit rate' of the MP3s.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
On 1/4/2011 11:06 AM, Donwill wrote:
The wife wants to buy me (impending birthday) a small music player
(MP3?)to plug into the car radio.
The car radio has a 3.5mm jack socket and a power socket close to.
Carrying many CD's in the car is a pain, so I would like a device
that I can record my collection of CDs on to it, how difficult
would that be? I assume they have a large memory? how many CDs
will they hold? Would a so called MP3 player be suitable? can you select
a specific
tune from them as you drive?
Any other recommendation?
Don

Aren't there any devices with Flash memory cards like a camera?

Sansa Fuze takes micro-SD Cards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 4ddb49b5-2e1a-44c6-96f1-
, says...
MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music.

Mine will take zillions via a USB stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Out of interest have you tried inserting a data (not audio) disk with
CD tracks "ripped" to MP3? If this works, you can get 10 or so CD's
onto a data CD and no hassle at all.

I'll second that suggestion.

My Audi even shows the names of the artist, album, and track on the
radio display. Navigation is a doddle.

Third it. E46 BMW 3 series onwards does it too.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article , newspost-c-
says...
most annoying thing using an MP3 player is that it doesn't stop when the
radio/CD player turns off. OK with music, annoying with an audiobook
when you forget to stop it.

Very dependent on model. My JVC KD-G731 stops the mp3 when you change to
a different and restarts from where you left off when you resume. Same
when you switch off.
Had it not been so, I shouldn't have bought it; mostly all it gets used
for is audiobooks.

If it's playing from memory stick/card or if you are using an
ipod/iphone with a head unit that has an ipod specific interface and
can control the player, then yes they will.

but if you are playing back from a 'generic' MP3 player plugged in via
the AUX or then there isn't a way for it to control the player (which
will be the OP's situation by the sound of it unless they buy anew head
unit).
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/4/2011 10:22 PM, Skipweasel wrote:
In article4ddb49b5-2e1a-44c6-96f1-
, says...

MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music.

Mine will take zillions via a USB stick.

Trouble is there's no obvious USB port available on my Sound system.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 10:40, Donwill wrote:
On 1/4/2011 10:22 PM, Skipweasel wrote: In article4ddb49b5-2e1a-44c6-96f1-
, says...

MP3 player is ok if you only have a small amount of music.

Mine will take zillions via a USB stick.

Trouble is there's no obvious USB port available on my Sound system.
Don

FWIW my Sony radio/CD, with USB port, cost about 90 quid from
Halfords. How much would spend on an mp3 player?

I had an 8GB data stick lying around, which at a rough calculation
would play solidly for a week if stuffed with mp3s.

Display of track and artist is dependent on your mp3s having the
appropriate ID3 tags in them, which depends on how they were ripped.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 11:06, Donwill wrote:

Any other recommendation?
Don

Gave up. Went back to cassettes. Less fiddly to change than other things ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 1:19*pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 04/01/2011 11:06, Donwill wrote:

Any other recommendation?
Don

Gave up. Went back to cassettes. Less fiddly to change than other things ;-)

But all cassettes eventually end up flung out of the window after
disgorging their innards into the player.

There is also the Gaiman-Pratchett theory that all cassettes, if kept
long enough in a car glove-box, turn into copies of "Queen's Greatest
Hits".

--
Halmyre