Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Should I put a thermometer in the loft?

With the external temperature hovering around -2C and nighttime temps
below -8, should I be concerned about the pipes in the loft? The house
was built in 2004 and is well insulated.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

My local lidl has a wireless weather station in that has inside and outside
temps. You can put the outside one in the loft if you want.
They were about £10.

They also had ones with built in digital picture frame and a complete
weather station with rainfall, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
wrote

So what make/model is yours?

Example Maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...e&U=34745&T=Mo
dule
However I regard Maplin as expensive toys for boys shop and you should
be able to get similar elsewhere for around half the price.

I have a couple of Lidl or Aldi indoor/outdoor remote thermometers that
probably cost a lot less than £10.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2010 17:33, MM wrote:

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

I got one almost like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34745

as it was being replaced by the new model you see here and was
discounted. Cost me a tenner

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:46:25 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

My local lidl has a wireless weather station in that has inside and outside
temps. You can put the outside one in the loft if you want.
They were about £10.

They also had ones with built in digital picture frame and a complete
weather station with rainfall, etc.

Good to know. We have a Lidl in Spalding, though these special offers,
which the weather station no doubt is, are usually gone in a flash.
I'll try tomorrow (Monday).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:36:49 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , MM
wrote

So what make/model is yours?

Example Maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...e&U=34745&T=Mo
dule

One reviewer said:

"I found this unit extremely difficult to set up. Like most foreign
made electronics these days the instructions aren't exactly simple to
follow. To make matters worse , the set up buttons are on the rear
making it impossible to operate them and see the settings screen at
the same time. Once operational the temperature calibration appears
quite accurate , and reception from the remote sensor was strong. In
view of the difficulty of setting up I would not recommend this unit."

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:46:25 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

My local lidl has a wireless weather station in that has inside and outside
temps. You can put the outside one in the loft if you want.
They were about £10.

Actually, I just checked the Lidl web site for the Spalding branch and
the "Radio-controlled Weather Station" they show is £39.99 They
didn't show a cheaper model.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

My local lidl has a wireless weather station in that has inside and outside
temps. You can put the outside one in the loft if you want.
They were about £10.

I got one of those a few years back. Often have it a shed but it's been in
the loft for a few weeks. There's no water up there, but I've been taking
crude measurements of temp. at various places to see how effective the
insulation is. When the air temp. in the loft was -1, the top of the loft
hatch was +5!

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 18 Dec 2010 17:21:05 GMT, wrote:

Thus spake MM ) unto the assembled multitudes:
With the external temperature hovering around -2C and nighttime temps
below -8, should I be concerned about the pipes in the loft? The house
was built in 2004 and is well insulated.

My house is now 42 years old, brick built throughout. I've had a thermometer
up in my loft for several years - a wireless one that I can monitor
downstairs (thinks: must get some new batteries for it :-). It sits just
above my cold water storage tank, about 5 feet above the roof joists. I have
rockwool insulation underneath tongue-and-groove floorboards fixed across the
joists, except underneath the CWS tank, which sits in the roof space directly
above my airing cupboard containing my hot water tank. The coldest I've ever
registered up there is about -1C, but if all your pipes are properly lagged
you should be fine.

I've just been up in the loft to check since I hung a greenhouse
thermometer up there yesterday. It read +2.5C. I noticed that while
the builders lagged the pipes with that preshaped foam rubber tubing,
they'd not bothered to treat the elbows and junctions, so I added some
spare insulation around them. I also ripped up some of the loft
insulation to wrap around, well, blanket in really, the pipes to and
from the two water tanks. I'm going to get some more of that foam
rubber stuff tomorrow because I also noticed that the overflow pipes
(to the outside wall) are not lagged at all. A few drops of water in
there building up, then freezing, could mean an overflow causing
flooding.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:46:25 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..

Do you know, only the other day I was wondering whether there was such
a thing as a wireless thermometer! I did a bit of Googling and found
some far too fancy wireless gizmo for the garden. It measured
windspeed, dew point and a load of other stuff. I would only need to
monitor the temperature.

So what make/model is yours?

My local lidl has a wireless weather station in that has inside and
outside
temps. You can put the outside one in the loft if you want.
They were about £10.

Actually, I just checked the Lidl web site for the Spalding branch and
the "Radio-controlled Weather Station" they show is £39.99 They
didn't show a cheaper model.

I know, I was in the shop and they were there, they may be leftovers from
previous weeks.
They don't keep the stuff forever and sometimes send it back to their
distribution depot but I have no idea when it happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

The one in my loft (which I relocated last night to the floor close to my
CW
tank) is measuring 7.7C now (8am) (I keep the base station in my kitchen),
which is
actually a bit on the warm side in my opinion, but I think it must be
getting
some heat from the airing cupboard almost directly below, so I'd better
move
it to get a more realistic reading.

Or perhaps you need some better loft and/or cylinder insulation..

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 10:39*am, MM wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:36:49 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , MM
wrote

So what make/model is yours?

Example Maplin
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...oogle&U=34745&...
dule

One reviewer said:

"I found this unit extremely difficult to set up. Like most foreign
made electronics these days the instructions aren't exactly simple to
follow. To make matters worse , the set up buttons are on the rear
making it impossible to operate them and see the settings screen at
the same time. Once operational the temperature calibration appears
quite accurate , and reception from the remote sensor was strong. In
view of the difficulty of setting up I would not recommend this unit."

MM

So? A hell of a lot more people probably had no problems whatsoever.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One reviewer said:

"I found this unit extremely difficult to set up.

So? A hell of a lot more people probably had no problems whatsoever.

I find it surprising that there seem to be no reasonably-priced
WiFi thermometers or weather stations,
connecting to a PC rather than a "base station".

I would have thought that would actually be easier to manufacture,
since the WiFi interface is used so widely.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net