Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Future planning: Propane alternative to oil

MM wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:39:43 +0000, Scott M
wrote:

MM wrote:

I laugh at your gas hobs; I poke fun at your halogen hobs; induction
really is cooking Nirvana.
Yeah, like all the professional cooks in the country, who use gas, are
laughing at you!

shrug (again) The professional world and the domestic world are two
completely different things.

Gas hobs are the only ones that'd survive in an industrial environment.
Thumping great heavy pans of food around in a tearing hurry is going to
wreck anything other than a gas hob since they're effectively just lumps
of pig iron rather than being glass or ceramic. They've also got to cope
with fluid being spilled all over them.

Seems to be an apt description of my cooking! Never mind, the food
tastes fine.

In a similar vein, professional cooks use uncoated pans.

So do I.

But, ask them
what they recommend as a good purchase and they'll say non-stick. Reason
being a Teflon pan wouldn't survive a week in a restaurant but that
doesn't mean it's in some way inferior for home use.

You're obviously desperate to prove something but I have no idea why.

I don't need to prove anything because no proof is needed. Like I
said, cooks professional and otherwise mostly prefer gas hobs, end of.

elfin safety as well,.

Plus speed.

gas is self sterilising, and fast warmup times.

Many professional chefs use agas at home.

Professional F1 drivers don't drive those cars on the public roads either..

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Gas hobs are the only ones that'd survive in an industrial environment.
Thumping great heavy pans of food around in a tearing hurry is going to
wreck anything other than a gas hob since they're effectively just lumps
of pig iron rather than being glass or ceramic. They've also got to cope
with fluid being spilled all over them.

ITYF that the biggest difference - and the real reason why pros always
use gas - is the instant variability of heat. None of the alternatives
are anything like as flexible.

In a similar vein, professional cooks use uncoated pans. But, ask them
what they recommend as a good purchase and they'll say non-stick. Reason
being a Teflon pan wouldn't survive a week in a restaurant but that
doesn't mean it's in some way inferior for home use.

But they are. I'd _far_ rather use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet than
a teflon frying pan, or a good solid stainless saucepan than a teflon
one. Teflon is used as a get-out-of-jail card on cheap pans that would
otherwise burn easily because they're so thin and flimsy they get
hotspots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-12-21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:16:46 +0000, MM wrote:

I don't need to prove anything because no proof is needed. Like I
said, cooks professional and otherwise mostly prefer gas hobs, end of.

Gas is much cheaper than electricity. Gas hobs are cheaper than
induction ones. Gas hobs are more robust that induction. All factors
that are important to a business but less so in the home.

We have a solid plate electric hob and I *DETEST THE F'CKING THING*.

Good man. Our last house had one which lasted until we could get gas plumbed
in, and my feelings were exactly the same as yours.

I'd like to play with an induction hob before buying one, though.

sold electric hobs are the worst of all possible worlds.

An always n aga hob is far far fsater..and with two to play with and to
wepennies to make a simmer hob, they weork well enough.

I haver used gas and radiant and ring element electrics. OK, radiant
electric is slower than gas, so you need to think ahead, but otherwise
there isn't much difference until you want to use a wok. They are almost
useless as they need hot gases up the sides: gas only really.

You also need better pans for electric with solid copper or alloy slugs
in the base. Lighweight pans are useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2010 10:19, Dave Liquorice wrote:

We have a solid plate electric hob and I *DETEST THE F'CKING THING*.

Took us about 6 months of having one to ditch it and replace with
bottled gas. What's stopping you doing the same?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
Thank goodness I don't need heating oil at the moment. But for next
year, what about using propane gas in a bottle as a stopgap?

According to the radio, that's up **** creek at the moment too.
Stockists are only getting partial deliveries at the moment,
due to lack of empty bottles to be refilled, which people haven't
been able to return in this weather. (Not sure I believe the reason
given.) People who have their own garden tanks (LPG?) also having
problems getting them refilled and price has rocketed.

--
Andrew Gabriel