Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gloss painted walls - How to fix them

I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls
were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them
with gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Sand it down (with an angle grinder).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

I had a similar problem in my bathroom (not with the tenants). Tried
multiple times to paint over it with various emulsions but nothing would
strip, even with thorough sanding first.

Finally stripped it as best I could with this stuff:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/e/ECOHS/

which seemed to do a good enough job with a bit of scrubbing to enable
me to paint with vinyl matt which is still holding strong.

Of course a lounge may be quite a bit bigger.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/10 12:47, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Assuming the gloss is well bonded to the wall:

Rough it up, some sort of primer maybe(?) then emulsion???

As long as you can get it into a state where emulsion will stick stably,
can't see the need to remove it.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns. There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge
walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have
painted them with gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun?
Has anyone had to fix this before and had success with any
particular method?

I had a similar problem in my bathroom (not with the tenants). Tried
multiple times to paint over it with various emulsions but nothing
would strip, even with thorough sanding first.

Finally stripped it as best I could with this stuff:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/e/ECOHS/

which seemed to do a good enough job with a bit of scrubbing to enable
me to paint with vinyl matt which is still holding strong.

Of course a lounge may be quite a bit bigger.

Yep, it is a lounge/diner with high ceilings. So we would be looking at
least £100 of the stuff to do one coat. Plus the time needed to do it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2010 13:38, ARWadsworth wrote:
Andrew wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

IME emulsion sticks to gloss just fine, providing the first coat is
wiped on sparingly and not allowed to form a film.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 16, 12:47*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2010 14:41, Tabby wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:47 pm,
wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT

The fumes from covering whole walls with oil based paint would be
something awful, although the original perpetrators obviously survived.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT

The fumes from covering whole walls with oil based paint would be
something awful, although the original perpetrators obviously survived.

I use a couple of fans, sit them in an open window. I suspect not
doing that could be a real safety problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

--
Adam

does that surface prep stuff )e.g. "ESP" ) allow emulsion to stick to
gloss?
ISTR it etches the top layer of the finish to give it a key for
refinishing? "wipe on wipe off" is alleged.....
maybe worth a go before anything more tedious?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

I use a couple of fans, sit them in an open window. I suspect not
doing that could be a real safety problem.

I'm sure it will keep your spirits up to have a couple of fans cheering
you on while you work, [and YES, he's sloshed on another square yard of
paint stripper, isn't the sweeping motion of his forearm just MASTERFUL?],
but sitting them in an open window is the real safety problem -- they might
fall out, especially if they get too enthusiastic! And make sure they
don't throw any beer cans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge
walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have
painted them with gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun?
Has anyone had to fix this before and had success with any
particular method?

--
Adam

does that surface prep stuff )e.g. "ESP" ) allow emulsion to stick to
gloss?
ISTR it etches the top layer of the finish to give it a key for
refinishing? "wipe on wipe off" is alleged.....
maybe worth a go before anything more tedious?

Now that looks interesting. Not cheap but it looks easy to use.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:47 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns.

I'm sure there's more to that story!

As if.....

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge
walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have
painted them with gloss.

Oh gawd.

That's not what my mate said!

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun?
Has anyone had to fix this before and had success with any
particular method?

Is the fire insurance premium up-to-date? ;-)

I don't think skimming would stick on top of gloss. Wallpaper might,
with appropriate glue, but that's just storing up problems for later.

hack back to brick and replaster might be the answer. Did the outgoing
tenants volunteer any cash or valuables to pay for the damage?

How much are 6 female cannabis plants worth?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 16/12/2010 18:05, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I am probably going to regret this... but how do you tell the sex of a
cannabis plant? (and does it matter - assuming you are not a cannabis
plant that is)

Well you check their internodes. YOUR firm should know that:-)

The female plants produce the stuff that sad people like to smoke.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I'm reliably informed that the sex is important if you want to get off
your face.

But I have no idea how to tell. I do also know that there is something
growing naturally in my garden that can wobble your eyeballs - as the
reliable informant asked if he could have some! I thought they were just
weeds (not weed - I do know what that looks like).

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns..

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT

Mate`s a decorator, thats what they do with heavy nicotine or cooking
staining,oil based undercoat obliterates everything, stops it grinning
through subsequent emulsion.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Or happy people depending when you assess them!

I'd legalise it, if only to put one section of the production and sales
chain out of business. If people want to bend their brains, that's upto
them AFAIAC as long as it doesn't statistically make them turn into
violent nutters (which is odd as alcohol is legal).

Funny how tradition trumps all. If Sir Walt had brought back a sack of
wacky from the New World, we'd all be stoning off on fat cubans at every
special occasion, whilst the chavs were knocking 5 quid in the pub
machine for a pack of 20 "Hemp Lights".

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/10 18:54, Jim K wrote:
On Dec 16, 6:05 pm,
[...]

Plant them by night in your most hated neighbour's greenhouse, then tip
the police off anon.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 16, 7:00 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/12/10 18:54, Jim K wrote:

On Dec 16, 6:05 pm,
[...]

nice ;)
after all tis the season to be jolly tra la la la .......

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Dec 16, 6:05 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Owain wrote:
[...]

Brilliant idea.

Actually we did have our suspicions about them before we evicted them. The
snow melted faster on their roof than the neighbours, I was not allowed in
to fit smoke alarms, my IR thermometer showed a very warm window in the back
bedroom when the house was empty, they got a good beating by strangers "for
no apparent reason", a 51 plate BMW etc.

My mate was not prepared for the police to arrive with the big red key to
open the double glazed door and do their own investigations so we asked them
to leave.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns. There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge
walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have
painted them with gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun?
Has anyone had to fix this before and had success with any
particular method?

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT

The fumes from covering whole walls with oil based paint would be
something awful, although the original perpetrators obviously
survived.

The smell of the weed would have overpowered the smell of the paint :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
[...]

We did indeed pinch the name from a botanical dictionary... but did
not do that much reading beyond thinking - "that sounds ok!" ;-)

The female plants produce the stuff that sad people like to smoke.

Interesting...

(In the fields around here they quite often grow hemp. They had to
put a sign on one field saying low THC content - please don't bother
pinching it!)

And builders have a sign on their vans saying "No tools kept in the van
overnight".

I have a sign that says "Well driven? - If yes then call the police as the
van is stolen"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

The lounge walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in
but they have painted them with gloss.
Any tips as to how to fix it

Wallpaper instead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Same with me in bathroom, but at least there one can get thick wet caustic
on and hose down after: any other room a disaster (Incidentally though - as
I've noted before - gloss on top of lining paper treated with antifungals
worked very well in my bathroom, once I'd got the gloss off the plaster.).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 16/12/10 12:47, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls
were
just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them
with
gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Assuming the gloss is well bonded to the wall:

Rough it up, some sort of primer maybe(?) then emulsion???

As long as you can get it into a state where emulsion will stick stably,
can't see the need to remove it.

--
Tim Watts

Good thinking: so long as the room is fairly condensation free, it would
paper over too. The problem comes with damp: then it all peels back from the
edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

The lounge walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in
but they have painted them with gloss.
Any tips as to how to fix it

Wallpaper instead?

I would have thought that a bit of a roughening-up with something
abrasive would suffice. What about scouring pads, Vim, wire wool etc?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Owain wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:47 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns.

I'm sure there's more to that story!

As if.....

Well, the way you put it certainly had me thinking some gentle
persuasion might have been involved (baseball bats came to mind).

How much are 6 female cannabis plants worth?

Dunno. They don't lay their resin eggs until after the prize
male plant has been in to get them in the mood. And the stud
fees are enormous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronald Raygun wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Owain wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:47 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he
owns.

I'm sure there's more to that story!

As if.....

Well, the way you put it certainly had me thinking some gentle
persuasion might have been involved

There was some gentle persuasion "Do you want to leave now or shall we call
the police?". I doubt the police would ignore the cannabis plants and the
bypassed electric meter.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
At least they didn't run out of credit ...

That's ok, there's a five-year-old who can fix that

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:47:27 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has
anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Similar situation: oil-based paint on plaster, well-painted, i.e. thinned and
allowed to soak in.

I tried paint stripper, a hot-air gun, and open flame. Isn't worth the expense,
time and trouble, which is considerable. I hacked it off and reskimmed.

If doing it again, I'd hire one of these:
http://www.protool.de/Produkte/Seiten/Produktvergleich.aspx?foc=pt_renovierungsfraesen_7 783

....which is in German, but you'll be able to figure it out. It's a slow-running
angle grinder with stars picking off a bit off the surface, and ring to set to
take off only so much.

Thomas Prufer