Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to tile over painted walls

Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen,
painted in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface
really well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?

Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially
appreciated.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I find adhesive fine for walls, especially in kitchens where there is no
water spray as you get in a shower. I only use thinset for shower areas and
where I have to match other levels where I have used thinset. The adhesive
will work fine on semigloss if you sand the surface to add a little tooth
for the glue to stick to.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen, painted
in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface really
well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?

Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially
appreciated.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen,
painted in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface
really well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?

Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially
appreciated.

Some thinsets say that they are suitable for use on paint I believe.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen,
painted in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface
really well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?

Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially
appreciated.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

There is a thinset for every situation. There's even a thinset for
bonding tile to unscarified formica. Just make sure that the thinset
you choose says that it will bond to painted walls and that it is
appropriate for the moisture level that it will see, and you'll be
fine. I recommend NOT using other adhesives. My home builder did that
and the tiles are falling off the walls :-(

BRW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen, painted
in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface really
well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?

Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially
appreciated.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

I used mastic. My usual advice is go to a tile store. That is one where tile
is he only business. Tell them what you want to do and buy what they
recommend.

Charlie