Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning painted walls

Tiny bungalow in MO. I painted the kitchen with Lucite semi-gloss about
20 years ago. No chip, peel, little/no fading. But, of course, it's dirty.
Not super-bad, but dirty enough that it streaks badly when a spot is
cleaned.

I don't wanna re-paint. I got a roll-a-matic mop, tried "Grease Relief"
and Mr. Clean on it. Mr. Clean cleaned most of a test area, but the
1954 plaster-on-steel-lathe is a little rough, and some spots won't
clean. "Grease Relief" wasn't up to the task at all.

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

Thx,
Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2008 4:47 PM Peetie Wheatstraw spake thus:

Tiny bungalow in MO. I painted the kitchen with Lucite semi-gloss about
20 years ago. No chip, peel, little/no fading. But, of course, it's dirty.
Not super-bad, but dirty enough that it streaks badly when a spot is
cleaned.

I don't wanna re-paint. I got a roll-a-matic mop, tried "Grease Relief"
and Mr. Clean on it. Mr. Clean cleaned most of a test area, but the
1954 plaster-on-steel-lathe is a little rough, and some spots won't
clean. "Grease Relief" wasn't up to the task at all.

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

For stubborn *spots* of grease (not the entire wall), I'd try one of my
favorite solvents, naphtha (aka charcoal lighter fluid). Or paint
thinner or mineral spirits: basically same stuff. Followed by whatever
water-based cleaner you normally use. It won't harm the paint. Will
smell a little for a little while, but should work well.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

Tiny bungalow in MO. I painted the kitchen with Lucite semi-gloss about
20 years ago. No chip, peel, little/no fading. But, of course, it's dirty.
Not super-bad, but dirty enough that it streaks badly when a spot is
cleaned.

I don't wanna re-paint. I got a roll-a-matic mop, tried "Grease Relief"
and Mr. Clean on it. Mr. Clean cleaned most of a test area, but the
1954 plaster-on-steel-lathe is a little rough, and some spots won't
clean. "Grease Relief" wasn't up to the task at all.

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

Thx,
Peetie

I used to use Fantastic on my kitchen walls and ceiling - even
wallpaper. In my case the paper must
have been extremely good, as it was never affected (vinly coated).
Fantastic is tough stuff and I would not recommend
it on wallpaper ) My kitchen paint was Ben Moore semi-gloss alkyd and
it stood up to all kinds of
abuse. Fantastic really cuts grease. Formula 409 is also good, perhaps
not as strong as Fan. Spic
n' Span is good.

I had a ceiling with combed texture, so spray cleaner and a terry cloth
rag were the only way to go.
Nasty job, swirling a rag around the textured thingies on the ceiling
) It has to be rinsed with rag
wrung out in plain water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:16:27 -0400, Norminn wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

Thx,
Peetie

I used to use Fantastic on my kitchen walls and ceiling - even
wallpaper. In my case the paper must
have been extremely good, as it was never affected (vinly coated).
Fantastic is tough stuff and I would not recommend
it on wallpaper ) My kitchen paint was Ben Moore semi-gloss alkyd and
it stood up to all kinds of
abuse. Fantastic really cuts grease. Formula 409 is also good, perhaps
not as strong as Fan. Spic
n' Span is good.

I gotta bad back, can't spot clean everything by hand with rag/sponge.
Apply with long-handled mop thingness or not at all. Ceiling needs
done, too (AAaarrgghh!).

So, how did you apply Fantastic? Rag/sponge?

Peetie

I stood on a short ladder and sprayed it on - from a height and directed
horizontally, it doesn't rain
down on me. I would let it soak a while and then clean up with clear
water and a rag. I had no
kitchen vent fan, so part of the ceiling really got dirty and greasy.
Also did a lot of cooking in those
days ) It is really tough for me to do overhead work, but I just took
it in small spells. Fantastic is
very strong, so it really does all of the work, other than the rinse.
The ceiling was a real pain due to
the circular combed texture.

Scrubbing Bubbles is also a very good cleaner and comes in an aerosol.
You would probably have
to wear a mask and goggles, but spraying it on and using the mob thingy
might work. Also, the mop-
squeegies for washing windows might work if you put down a drop cloth of
some kind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:16:51 -0400, Norminn wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

So, how did you apply Fantastic? Rag/sponge?

Peetie

I stood on a short ladder and sprayed it on - from a height and directed
horizontally, it doesn't rain
down on me. I would let it soak a while and then clean up with clear
water and a rag. I had no
kitchen vent fan, so part of the ceiling really got dirty and greasy.
Also did a lot of cooking in those
days ) It is really tough for me to do overhead work, but I just took
it in small spells. Fantastic is
very strong, so it really does all of the work, other than the rinse.
The ceiling was a real pain due to
the circular combed texture.

Mine'd be just as bad. Maybe worse.

I could work several hours off a ladder .... 20 years ago. :-)

Scrubbing Bubbles is also a very good cleaner and comes in an aerosol.
You would probably have
to wear a mask and goggles, but spraying it on and using the mob thingy
might work. Also, the mop-
squeegies for washing windows might work if you put down a drop cloth of
some kind.

The wall finish is too rough for a squeegie. Either I get one of
these solvents to work from the roll-a-matic sponge, or I'll
(latex) paint the damned thing again.

Thx,
Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2008 8:51 AM Peetie Wheatstraw spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

So, how did you apply Fantastic? Rag/sponge?

Scrubbing Bubbles is also a very good cleaner and comes in an
aerosol. You would probably have to wear a mask and goggles, but
spraying it on and using the mob thingy might work. Also, the mop-
squeegies for washing windows might work if you put down a drop
cloth of some kind.

The wall finish is too rough for a squeegie. Either I get one of
these solvents to work from the roll-a-matic sponge, or I'll
(latex) paint the damned thing again.

Except that in order to repaint it, you're going to need to get that
crud off first ...

How about some other kind of mop-rag thingie on a handle? Must be
something that'll get into little crevices.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

So, how did you apply Fantastic? Rag/sponge?

Scrubbing Bubbles is also a very good cleaner and comes in an
aerosol. You would probably have to wear a mask and goggles, but
spraying it on and using the mob thingy might work. Also, the mop-
squeegies for washing windows might work if you put down a drop
cloth of some kind.

The wall finish is too rough for a squeegie. Either I get one of
these solvents to work from the roll-a-matic sponge, or I'll
(latex) paint the damned thing again.

Except that in order to repaint it, you're going to need to get that
crud off first ...

How about some other kind of mop-rag thingie on a handle? Must be
something that'll get into little crevices.

There is a mop-like thingy for washing windows that might work and can
be put on a long handle. It is wide,
like a rubber squeegy, but is fiber that will soak up some water and can
be wrung out. Or, spray on soapy cleaner,
let it soak, rinse by spraying with a garden sprayer with plain water,
let dry? Messy )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:47:00 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw
wrote:

Tiny bungalow in MO. I painted the kitchen with Lucite semi-gloss about
20 years ago. No chip, peel, little/no fading. But, of course, it's dirty.
Not super-bad, but dirty enough that it streaks badly when a spot is
cleaned.

I don't wanna re-paint. I got a roll-a-matic mop, tried "Grease Relief"
and Mr. Clean on it. Mr. Clean cleaned most of a test area, but the
1954 plaster-on-steel-lathe is a little rough, and some spots won't
clean. "Grease Relief" wasn't up to the task at all.

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

Thx,
Peetie

A heavy duty detergent will clean walls. Mr Clean is a good cleaner
and should clean walls well, and the tough areas use Fantastic. If
you can find it use TSP. Rinse the walls at least 2 times. Use
rubber gloves and eye protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sooooooooooooo, what's the best way to clean dirt/grease off of a good
semi-gloss paint finish?

Thx,
Peetie

A heavy duty detergent will clean walls. Mr Clean is a good cleaner
and should clean walls well,

Never failed me before.

and the tough areas use Fantastic. If
you can find it use TSP.

I think I got some in the basement. But it didn't do so good when
I tested it years ago.

Rinse the walls at least 2 times. Use
rubber gloves and eye protection.

1.) I appreciate your and the others help.

2.) Here are the parameters of the problem:

a.) Walls and ceiling.
b.) Textured paint, rough, uneven surface.
c.) My poor health.

In a nutshell, if it's just standing and scrubbing (little/no
ladder) with a sponge-mop (roll-o-matic), I can do 20 min. here, 20
min. there, and get it done in under a week.

Otherwise I fear I'm outa luck.

Cheers,
Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

In a nutshell, if it's just standing and scrubbing (little/no
ladder) with a sponge-mop (roll-o-matic), I can do 20 min. here, 20
min. there, and get it done in under a week.

Otherwise I fear I'm outa luck.

Cheers,
Peetie

Perhaps you can make a deal with a neighbor or relative who is more able
to do the most difficult
part for you, in trade for work that is easier for you to do. Make a
deal. Good luck! )