Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolation valve not closing

Hi

We have a screwdriver-operated, quarter-turn isolation valve for the
outside tap. It was turned off until I fitted the tap on the external
screw fitting, so it worked two tears ago. Last year, I turned it off
until the Spring and all was OK. This year, I turn it a quarter turn
and there is no effect. Is it possible for an isolation valve to fail
in this way? If so, is there any solution apart from tedious
replacement?

Ta

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Hi

We have a screwdriver-operated, quarter-turn isolation valve for the
outside tap. It was turned off until I fitted the tap on the external
screw fitting, so it worked two tears ago. Last year, I turned it off
until the Spring and all was OK. This year, I turn it a quarter turn
and there is no effect. Is it possible for an isolation valve to fail
in this way? If so, is there any solution apart from tedious
replacement?

Ta

David

No repair option really - just replace with the lever type with a sheet
metal handle NOT a cast one as they can break.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 11:27*am, David wrote:
Hi

We have a screwdriver-operated, quarter-turn isolation valve for the
outside tap. *It was turned off until I fitted the tap on the external
screw fitting, so it worked two tears ago. Last year, I turned it off
until the Spring and all was OK. *This year, I turn it a quarter turn
and there is no effect. *Is it possible for an isolation valve to fail
in this way? *If so, is there any solution apart from tedious
replacement?

Ta

David

Yup - I've seen a cheap washing machine valve fail this way. Replace,
and spend a few quid on a quality part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No repair option really - just replace with the lever type with a sheet
metal handle NOT a cast one as they can break.

Yup - I've seen a cheap washing machine valve fail this way. Replace,
and spend a few quid on a quality part.

Thanks guys. I'm mystified really - surely the Wickes fitter will
have used a qual... er OK...

Ta

David

Is this an isolation valve? Alan[_7_] UK diy 14 October 8th 10 08:41 AM
Isolation valve positions for Combi to avoind heat damage Steve UK diy 4 September 7th 09 09:52 PM
15mm tee fitting with isolation valve(s)? jkn UK diy 35 July 20th 05 06:04 PM
Gas Isolation Valve Arthur UK diy 3 August 8th 04 08:10 PM
Location of isolation valve for gas hob? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 2 March 4th 04 09:10 PM