Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolation valve positions for Combi to avoind heat damage

I'm upgrading the plumbing prior to having a Combi installed. I'm going to
put in a number of (full bore) isolation valves on both the DHW and heating
circuits in order to make it easier to do additions/changes later, without
having to drain down the whole system.

How near the boiler can the valves be? I know the last metre or so of
pipework to the boiler should be in copper (not plastic); since the valves
have a rubber (neoprene?) seal, is there a recommended minimum distance from
the boiler to a valve?

Also, if the engineer wants to make a soldered joint, is there a minimum
distance between the joint and the valve, to avoid heat damage to the valve
during soldering?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm upgrading the plumbing prior to having a Combi installed. I'm going

put in a number of (full bore) isolation valves on both the DHW and

heating
circuits in order to make it easier to do additions/changes later, without
having to drain down the whole system.

I don't think that you will find many combi boilers that do not have
isolating valves as part of the boiler installation.

How near the boiler can the valves be? I know the last metre or so of
pipework to the boiler should be in copper (not plastic); since the valves
have a rubber (neoprene?) seal, is there a recommended minimum distance

from
the boiler to a valve?

No.
Valves are usually compression fit so make the solder joint first then fit
valve.
With drain cocks and the like then these are dismantled prior to soldering.

Also, if the engineer wants to make a soldered joint, is there a minimum
distance between the joint and the valve, to avoid heat damage to the

valve
during soldering?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm upgrading the plumbing prior to having a Combi installed. I'm going

put in a number of (full bore) isolation valves on both the DHW and

..
snip
..
Valves are usually compression fit so make the solder joint first then fit
valve.
With drain cocks and the like then these are dismantled prior to
soldering.

Thanks. But my problem is I need to fit all the valves before the engineer
installs the boiler. So any soldering he does will have to be with the
valves already in the system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm upgrading the plumbing prior to having a Combi installed. I'm

going
put in a number of (full bore) isolation valves on both the DHW and

.
snip
.
Valves are usually compression fit so make the solder joint first then

fit
valve.
With drain cocks and the like then these are dismantled prior to
soldering.

Thanks. But my problem is I need to fit all the valves before the

engineer
installs the boiler. So any soldering he does will have to be with the
valves already in the system.

Then fit the valves BEFORE any branches/tees that you think may be made in
the future.

A plumber that knows what he is doing can solder the joints and connect to a
compression fitting on completion.

It is a lost cause fitting isolators close to the boiler as there will
already be valves there.

You would most certainly have a stopcock on the incoming mains supply so you
could valve off where the branch goes to the boiler which could be many feet
from the boiler.

It is not usual to fit isolators to hot outlet as stopping the water in must
stop the water out. However, if you feel the need you could fit isolators to
the individual branches to the various hot outlets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. That's useful.

15mm tee fitting with isolation valve(s)? jkn UK diy 35 July 20th 05 06:04 PM
Combi boiler and fitting isolation valves chopsaw UK diy 4 May 14th 05 12:33 AM
Gas Isolation Valve Arthur UK diy 3 August 8th 04 08:10 PM
Location of isolation valve for gas hob? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 2 March 4th 04 09:10 PM