Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Keyhole (mortice) draught (rubber) excluder/stopper (for mortice lock)??

Ronald Raygun wrote:
One should only ever
lock the door on the mortice from the outside (when one is out and
no-one is in). Locking it from the inside is dangerous - you don't
want to have to be finding and fiddling with a key in a panic when
there's a fire and you need to get out in a hurry.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who lock the front door from inside while
they are at home. Very often when I ring the bell it takes them several
minutes to find the keys & open the door. Those minutes could kill you in a
fire as you say.

I often mention the fire risk, but it seems to go straight over their heads.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Ronald Raygun wrote:
One should only ever
lock the door on the mortice from the outside (when one is out and
no-one is in). Locking it from the inside is dangerous - you don't
want to have to be finding and fiddling with a key in a panic when
there's a fire and you need to get out in a hurry.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who lock the front door from inside
while they are at home. Very often when I ring the bell it takes them
several minutes to find the keys & open the door. Those minutes could
kill you in a fire as you say.

I often mention the fire risk, but it seems to go straight over their
heads.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user, they
encourage people to get trapped.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user, they
encourage people to get trapped.

So are you a fire expert this week? I'll add that to your list of made up
talents.

--
Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user, they
encourage people to get trapped.

So are you a fire expert this week? I'll add that to your list of made up
talents.

Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user,
they encourage people to get trapped.

So are you a fire expert this week? I'll add that to your list of
made up talents.

Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

No, I am just claiming that you are a man with no talents.

--
Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news
Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

No, I am just claiming that you are a man with no talents.

So you don't disagree with what I said then?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news
Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

No, I am just claiming that you are a man with no talents.

So you don't disagree with what I said then?

I disagree with your drama queen statement about fire extiguishers.

--
Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news
Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

No, I am just claiming that you are a man with no talents.

So you don't disagree with what I said then?

I disagree with your drama queen statement about fire extiguishers.

So what level of expertise do you claim to have to backup your idea that
fire extinguishers are safe in the hands of untrained householders?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news
Are you claiming to be an expert and disagreeing with what I said?

No, I am just claiming that you are a man with no talents.

So you don't disagree with what I said then?

I disagree with your drama queen statement about fire extiguishers.

So what level of expertise do you claim to have to backup your idea
that fire extinguishers are safe in the hands of untrained
householders?

Your problem is that you think everyone is a retard and needs a certificate
to use any piece of equipment.

My experience of fires is

a) put a car fire out on the M1 with the dry powder extinguisher in my van,
b) put out a wheelie bin fire using a similar extinguisher out where the
wheelie bin was shoved up to a front door
c) used a hoze pipe to put a house fire out

So what is your experience than?

I have never been on a training day to get a nice signed off piece of paper
to say that I am allowed to use an extinguisher.

--
Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 9:33*pm, Tim Streater wrote:

Certainly if you're in a room and the furniture catches fires, you've
got a minute or two *at most* before you're gonna be dead.

Firstly, my furniture won't do that.

Secondly, I can put the fire out with one of my extinguishers (at
least one on each floor) and take my time.

In a world of Dennis' stupidity, that's probably his best so far.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

No experience of house fires then?
So I guess you don't have any experience to say that I was wrong in quoting
what the fire service say about household extinguishers.

I don't have much experience of fires, the last one I went into was in flat
at some sheltered housing and I had to remove the occupant as she was trying
to open the windows to let the smoke out of her flat. No need for an
extinguisher, turning the power off to the microwave was enough. That was
about 10 weeks ago.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 10:53*am, Tim Streater wrote:

Certainly if you're in a room and the furniture catches fires, you've
got a minute or two *at most* before you're gonna be dead.

Firstly, my furniture won't do that.

What, won't catch fire? What's it made of? I'm talking about yer
standard furniture, e.g. a sofa with foam rubber filling or whatever it
is.

The beds are foam rubber, but that's not a bad fire hazard.
_Polyurethane_ foam is the real risk, and I don't have any. Sofas are
traditional.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 10:37*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:

So I guess you don't have any experience to say that I was wrong in quoting
what the fire service say about household extinguishers.

"Get out" isn't at all the same thing as "Fire extinguishers are bad".
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Dec 14, 9:33�pm, Tim Streater wrote:

Certainly if you're in a room and the furniture catches fires, you've
got a minute or two *at most* before you're gonna be dead.

Firstly, my furniture won't do that.

What, won't catch fire? What's it made of? I'm talking about yer standard
furniture, e.g. a sofa with foam rubber filling or whatever it is.

There is an odd belief that modern furniture is fire proof.
Its actually flame resistant.
Its hard to ignite it with stuff like cigarettes. (Hmm? that's another
expense thrust upon us by smokers. Non smokers get little benefit from fire
proof furniture IMO.)
It certainly burns in the right circumstances and gives out toxic smoke.

Secondly, I can put the fire out with one of my extinguishers (at
least one on each floor) and take my time.

Perhaps, but most folks don't have them.

What he means is he can try and put it out.
If it works fine.
If it doesn't he has wasted time which could have been used to get to
safety.
That's why the fire service doesn't recommend extinguishers in homes, people
think they can tackle a blaze and get killed.
I think that if you want to protect the building from fire there are far
better ways than putting a few hand operated extinguishers in. You can fit
domestic sprinklers and fire proof as much of the contents as possible,
remove ignition sources, etc.

They do say a fire blanket can be useful to smother chip pan fires, I
personally don't have a chip pan as putting them out can be really scary and
I had to when I was about 14 using a wet towel.

I will stick with the idea of getting out fast and letting the insurance
company worry about the damage.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user, they
encourage people to get trapped.

They are 1st aid.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Fire extinguishers are too dangerous for the untrained home user, they
encourage people to get trapped.

So are you a fire expert this week? I'll add that to your list of made up
talents.

--
Adam

I am a fire protection expert.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

It's rocket science.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 10:37 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:

So I guess you don't have any experience to say that I was wrong in
quoting
what the fire service say about household extinguishers.

"Get out" isn't at all the same thing as "Fire extinguishers are bad".

I know many professional fire fighters. Brave courageous men.
They have absolutely no idea of portable fire extinguishers.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 1:53*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

There is an odd belief that modern furniture is fire proof.
Its actually flame resistant.

Most of mine isn't (and as someone who sells upholstered furniture
commercially, yes I know the difference). I don't smoke, if I do set
the house on fire it's far more likely to be the carpet with a spark
from the fireplace than a fag down the furniture.

The real difference between "Is this sofa going to kill you very
quickly or not" is the toxicity of the smoke it produces. It's not the
reason I don't have any PU foam furniture, but all the same I'm not
unhappy that I don't (actually I do - I found one small ex-office
chair).

It certainly burns in the right circumstances and gives out toxic smoke.

Rubbberised horsehair and feathers are highly unpleasant, they're even
toxic in concentration, but they're nowhere like the toxicity at low
concentrations thay you have from the cyanides in PU smoke. This is
the biggie.

What he means is he can try and put it out.

If I can't put it out, I'll get a bigger extinguisher. If that doesn't
put it out, I'll use the BCF. If the BCF doesn't put it out, my
biggest hazard is then the fumes from that, no longer the fire.

They do say a fire blanket can be useful to smother chip pan fires,

Having used them four times (two of these within minutes, on the same
pan) I wouldn't bother again and would use an extinguisher.

I personally don't have a chip pan

For once I'd agree with you. There's no excuse for a chip pan. If you
want chips, use a thermostatic self-contained fryer.

Or get an Actifry, and then you really can test out your fire
precautions.

I will stick with the idea of getting out fast and letting the insurance
company worry about the damage.

That's OK Dennis, Nanny will make it all better.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 11:17*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I have never been on a training day to get a nice signed off piece of paper
to say that I am allowed to use an extinguisher.

You should do, they're a right laugh. If I was organising one I used
to use the (nearby) oilrig training school, as they had a particularly
generous attitude to how big a training fire needed to be, and if you
were lucky they even let us ride the lifeboat drop (swapped that for
letting some of them loose in our cars on a race track day).

I really must do the video format conversion and YouTube our DIY
safety video entitled "Two idiots and a bucket of magnesium turnings
demonstrate why you shouldn't use a hosepipe to (try to) extinguish
it".

I am George Goble and I claim my T1 of bandwidth.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have never been on a training day to get a nice signed off piece of
paper
to say that I am allowed to use an extinguisher.

You should do, they're a right laugh. If I was organising one I used
to use the (nearby) oilrig training school, as they had a particularly
generous attitude to how big a training fire needed to be, and if you
were lucky they even let us ride the lifeboat drop (swapped that for
letting some of them loose in our cars on a race track day).

I really must do the video format conversion and YouTube our DIY
safety video entitled "Two idiots and a bucket of magnesium turnings
demonstrate why you shouldn't use a hosepipe to (try to) extinguish
it".

I am George Goble and I claim my T1 of bandwidth.

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 10:21*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

It's a Class D (burning metal) fire, so you can't.

The US Navy have two techniques for class D fires: the first is to use
"Purple K", a dry powder, but not the usual dry powder. This doesn't
work (we demonstrated this). Their second technique is to throw
whatever is burning (up to and including whole aircraft) into the
Pacific.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have never been on a training day to get a nice signed off piece of
paper
to say that I am allowed to use an extinguisher.

You should do, they're a right laugh. If I was organising one I used
to use the (nearby) oilrig training school, as they had a particularly
generous attitude to how big a training fire needed to be, and if you
were lucky they even let us ride the lifeboat drop (swapped that for
letting some of them loose in our cars on a race track day).

I really must do the video format conversion and YouTube our DIY
safety video entitled "Two idiots and a bucket of magnesium turnings
demonstrate why you shouldn't use a hosepipe to (try to) extinguish
it".

I am George Goble and I claim my T1 of bandwidth.

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

I'm guessing, but I should think sand or dry powder or CO2.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Monnex.
It is powder but would be better than ABC dry powder.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:21 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

It's a Class D (burning metal) fire, so you can't.

The US Navy have two techniques for class D fires: the first is to use
"Purple K", a dry powder, but not the usual dry powder. This doesn't
work (we demonstrated this). Their second technique is to throw
whatever is burning (up to and including whole aircraft) into the
Pacific.

Bit of a bummer if you happen to be in the Atlantic.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Ronald Raygun" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:21 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Tell me, which extinguisher did you use to extinguish a magnesium fire?

It's a Class D (burning metal) fire, so you can't.

Can't what?

The US Navy have two techniques for class D fires: the first is to use
"Purple K", a dry powder, but not the usual dry powder. This doesn't
work (we demonstrated this). Their second technique is to throw
whatever is burning (up to and including whole aircraft) into the
Pacific.

Bit of a bummer if you happen to be in the Atlantic.

Keyhole (mortice) draught (rubber) excluder/stopper (for mortice lock)?? Ronald Raygun UK diy 0 December 14th 10 02:31 PM
More mortice lock questions Dave Baker UK diy 11 October 20th 09 01:27 PM
Yale Mortice Lock John UK diy 2 February 28th 08 09:08 PM
Mortice lock removal chudford UK diy 32 January 2nd 08 01:26 PM