Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More mortice lock questions

Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending me
some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can cut through
the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to find an identical
sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown origin or is more carpentry
likely to be needed? I have no idea if locks have some sort of standardised
range of sizes or if every manufacturer does their own thing.

It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the same
hole in the door.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending me
some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can cut through
the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to find an identical
sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown origin or is more carpentry
likely to be needed? I have no idea if locks have some sort of standardised
range of sizes or if every manufacturer does their own thing.

It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the same
hole in the door.

It's probably a standard size. What brand is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending
me some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can
cut through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to
find an identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown
origin or is more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if
locks have some sort of standardised range of sizes or if every
manufacturer does their own thing.
It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the
same hole in the door.

It will be a "standard" size - but there are *lots* of standards - so you
need to measure all the dimensions - length, width, offsets, etc. and find
another one the same.

Does yours look anything like this?
http://www.idealhomeaccessories.co.u...tise_Lock.html
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending me
some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can cut
through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to find an
identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown origin or is
more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if locks have some
sort of standardised range of sizes or if every manufacturer does their
own thing.

It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the same
hole in the door.

It's probably a standard size. What brand is it?

If I could get it out I could maybe tell you but at present "unknown origin"
is my best guess.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote:

Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending
me some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can
cut through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to
find an identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown
origin or is more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if
locks have some sort of standardised range of sizes or if every
manufacturer does their own thing.
It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the
same hole in the door.

It will be a "standard" size - but there are *lots* of standards - so you
need to measure all the dimensions - length, width, offsets, etc. and find
another one the same.

Does yours look anything like this?
http://www.idealhomeaccessories.co.u...tise_Lock.html

It's that kind of thing yes. Mortice at the bottom, latch at the top. My key
has only 3 prongs on it though and I've just had a measure and it's exactly
45mm from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole. So it's looking
like a standard 67mm lock then? Every dimension will be the same in a new
lock?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending me
some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can cut
through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to find an
identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown origin or is
more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if locks have some
sort of standardised range of sizes or if every manufacturer does their
own thing.

It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the same
hole in the door.

It's probably a standard size. What brand is it?

If I could get it out I could maybe tell you but at present "unknown origin"
is my best guess.

OK, best to take it to the shop when you do finally get it out and
compare directly with potential replacements. If it is a well known
brand, you should consider starting with that brand.

If you want to upgrade to a higher spec., e.g. Chubb BS3621 Insurance
Approved, then you should be aware that Chubb do the 3K74 and the 3U74,
which are notionally identical apart from the fact that the 3U74 case is
sized to replace "standard" Union/Yale locks and copies thereof.

http://www.mul-t-lock.co.uk/uploads/...Mortice_LR.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:50:49 +0100, "Dave Baker" wrote:

My key
has only 3 prongs on it though and I've just had a measure and it's exactly
45mm from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole. So it's looking
like a standard 67mm lock then? Every dimension will be the same in a new
lock?

Union 3-lever lock dimensions on this page. (Note that 3 lever locks are fairly
easy to pick)
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Lockshop_Warehouse_UNION_Three_Lever_Mortice_Locks _11.html
or shorter:- http://tinyurl.com/yz6clka

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending
me some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can
cut through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to
find an identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown
origin or is more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if
locks have some sort of standardised range of sizes or if every
manufacturer does their own thing.
It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the
same hole in the door.

I'm fortunate in having a large speciality lock shop quite near. When I
replace locks I always take the old one there & so far they have always been
able to supply an exact match.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 4:55*pm, Geo wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:50:49 +0100, "Dave Baker" wrote:
My key
has only 3 prongs on it though and I've just had a measure and it's exactly
45mm from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole. So it's looking
like a standard 67mm lock then? Every dimension will be the same in a new
lock?

Union 3-lever lock dimensions on this page. (Note that 3 lever locks are fairly
easy to pick)
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Lockshop_Warehouse_UNION...
or shorter:-http://tinyurl.com/yz6clka

very easy - get yourself a 5 lever for external doors.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:41:20 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending me
some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can cut through
the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to find an identical
sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown origin or is more carpentry
likely to be needed? I have no idea if locks have some sort of standardised
range of sizes or if every manufacturer does their own thing.

It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the same
hole in the door.

It's probably a standard size. What brand is it?

IME Often the new lock is a standard-ish size but the box staple (?)
(the bit the bolt locks into) isn't.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Does yours look anything like this?
http://www.idealhomeaccessories.co.u...tise_Lock.html

It's that kind of thing yes. Mortice at the bottom, latch at the top.
My key has only 3 prongs on it though and I've just had a measure and
it's exactly 45mm from the edge of the door to the centre of the
keyhole. So it's looking like a standard 67mm lock then? Every
dimension will be the same in a new lock?

That's a good start, but there are other dimensions which might vary - like
the vertical distance between keyhole and latch. They're all shown in the
link posted by 'Geo'.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Dave Baker wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Does yours look anything like this?
http://www.idealhomeaccessories.co.u...r_Mortise_Lock.

html

It's that kind of thing yes. Mortice at the bottom, latch at the top.
My key has only 3 prongs on it though and I've just had a measure and
it's exactly 45mm from the edge of the door to the centre of the
keyhole. So it's looking like a standard 67mm lock then? Every
dimension will be the same in a new lock?

That's a good start, but there are other dimensions which might vary - like
the vertical distance between keyhole and latch. They're all shown in the
link posted by 'Geo'.

I think the strike side will almost certainly need opening up, the
deadbolt width increased a bit with the 2004 revision of BS3621 so
things had to move to accommodate it. At least the strike side is the
easier one to modify. The strike box will be deeper to take the longer
throw too.
--
fred

Seized mortice lock patrick j[_2_] UK diy 27 December 2nd 15 05:55 PM
Yale Mortice Lock John UK diy 2 February 28th 08 09:08 PM
Everest mortice lock broken [email protected] UK diy 1 February 16th 08 03:23 PM
Mortice lock removal chudford UK diy 32 January 2nd 08 01:26 PM