Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More mortice lock questions

Dave Baker wrote:
Following on from my earlier thread I've hopefully got a mate sending
me some 1.2mm thick cutoff discs for my angle grinder soon so I can
cut through the jammed mortice. After that am I likely to be able to
find an identical sized lock to replace this 25 y/o one of unknown
origin or is more carpentry likely to be needed? I have no idea if
locks have some sort of standardised range of sizes or if every
manufacturer does their own thing.
It would be ideal to get one that just slots straight back into the
same hole in the door.

I'm fortunate in having a large speciality lock shop quite near. When I
replace locks I always take the old one there & so far they have always been
able to supply an exact match.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk