Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp Garage

My garage is conventionally built of concrete blocks with an asbestos
roof. It suffers from a high amount of damp (not just in the winter!
I'd apppreciate advice on methods of reducing this problem. I can make
a winter project based upon your ideas . In advance, thank you!

Jon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The damp could be from below, through the mortar joints, through the
chrysotile roof, from air blowing through bringing moisture in which
condenses on unheated surfaces below the air's dew point - or all the
above.

Reducing damp is a continuum.
Sealing off the draughts (there are expensive foam pieces if the roof
is corrugated and open, plus door seals). Then rubbery-bitumen paint
coating the block walls on the inside to stop moisture tracking in.
Examining if moisture is coming up from below. Basic dessicant
dehumidifier to strip moisture out of the air at low temps, but these
cost money to run. Screwing 25mm polystyrene insulation to the walls,
or better 25mm celotex seconds (seconds meaning dented, off-size,
whatever going cheap) insulation boards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathon wrote:
My garage is conventionally built of concrete blocks with an asbestos
roof. It suffers from a high amount of damp (not just in the winter!
I'd apppreciate advice on methods of reducing this problem. I can make
a winter project based upon your ideas . In advance, thank you!

Jon.

Jonathon,

Presumably the garage is of single wall construction with no dpc built on a
concrete base with no dpm and the underside if the roof is exposed?

Just to kick off, you will have problems with heavy condensate on the
underside of the roof, rain penetration from through the walls and risind
damp.

Could you be more specific about where the damp is showing?

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 4:22*pm, Jonathon wrote:
My garage is conventionally *built of concrete blocks with an asbestos
roof. It suffers from a high amount of damp (not just in the winter!
I'd apppreciate advice on methods of reducing this problem. I can make
a winter project based upon your ideas . In advance, thank you!

Jon.

You can get moisture repellent chemicals to paint on the outside of
the walls or you could clean the exterior up and give it coat of
masonarybitumous paint.
The floor can be painted with the same chemical. It's called
Thompson's ware seal or some such name.
You can drill holes into the blockwork at low level and pour this
stuff in. DPC. Don't go all the way through and slope them so the
stuff doesn't run out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 5:52*pm, harry wrote:
On Dec 13, 4:22*pm, Jonathon wrote:

My garage is conventionally *built of concrete blocks with an asbestos
roof. It suffers from a high amount of damp (not just in the winter!
I'd apppreciate advice on methods of reducing this problem. I can make
a winter project based upon your ideas . In advance, thank you!

Jon.

You can get moisture repellent chemicals to paint on the outside of
the walls or you could clean the exterior up and give it coat of
masonarybitumous paint.
The floor can be painted with the same chemical. * It's called
Thompson's ware seal or some such name.
You can drill holes into the blockwork at low level and pour this
stuff in. DPC. *Don't go all the way through and slope them so the
stuff doesn't run out.

Thompson's water seal that is. It's a stupid price.
The other thing you could do is screw vertical battens to the exterior
and clad with shiplap or feather edge boards. Fair degree of skill
needed sround doors, corners and windows etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message
"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 5:52 pm, harry wrote:
[...]

HARRY IS A SELF-PROCLAIMED BOYTOY, YA KNOW!

LMFAO at you having to resort to other peoples threads
Hilarious, what a fine example of a yankee troll.
I'm gonna start billing you for the tissues, sonny Jim, so funny

Damp in garage part II --s-p-o-n-i-x-- UK diy 7 February 27th 06 07:18 PM
Damp in Garage Alec UK diy 2 November 12th 05 05:44 PM
Damp in garage sPoNiX UK diy 38 November 8th 05 12:37 PM
Garage damp problem. jez UK diy 3 June 13th 05 08:36 AM
Damp garage Jon Read UK diy 6 August 29th 03 04:18 PM