sPoNiX

Default Damp in garage

I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.

When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
checked the roof etc for leaks)

Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
nil.

I can buy liquid especially for waterproofing brickwork. Is it any
good? If I were to apply it liberally to the bottom of the wall on the
outside where the water is soaking through...would it work?

Alternatively, I was thinking of applying some sort of
flashing/weather strip along the area where the patio meets the
garage. Would that work?

I'm after the lowest cost/least effort solution possible.

sponix

GARAGE | PATIO
|_______________

-----------

Water runs from patio, through the brickwork and onto garage floor.
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:56:55 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

| I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
| butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.
|
| When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
| wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
| checked the roof etc for leaks)
|
| Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
| the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
| nil.
|
| I can buy liquid especially for waterproofing brickwork. Is it any
| good? If I were to apply it liberally to the bottom of the wall on the
| outside where the water is soaking through...would it work?
|
| Alternatively, I was thinking of applying some sort of
| flashing/weather strip along the area where the patio meets the
| garage. Would that work?
|
| I'm after the lowest cost/least effort solution possible.
|
| sponix

| |
| |
| |
| GARAGE | PATIO
| |_______________
| |
| -----------
|
| Water runs from patio, through the brickwork and onto garage floor.

Your garage will be wholly on your land, as will any overhang of the roof,
so your neighbour has put part of his patio on your land. This should
give you leverage in discussions.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:04:34 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Your garage will be wholly on your land, as will any overhang of the roof,
so your neighbour has put part of his patio on your land. This should
give you leverage in discussions.

The overhang is minimal (2" perhaps, it's a flat roof) and it would be
impossible to determine where the boundary lies to that degree of
accuracy.

What I'm looking for is a cheap and easy solution to the immediate
problem, which is the penetrating damp..

sponix
Brian Sharrock

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:56:55 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

| I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
| butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.
|
| When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
| wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
| checked the roof etc for leaks)
|
| Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
| the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
| nil.
|
| I can buy liquid especially for waterproofing brickwork. Is it any
| good? If I were to apply it liberally to the bottom of the wall on the
| outside where the water is soaking through...would it work?
|
| Alternatively, I was thinking of applying some sort of
| flashing/weather strip along the area where the patio meets the
| garage. Would that work?
|
| I'm after the lowest cost/least effort solution possible.
|
| sponix

| |
| |
| |
| GARAGE | PATIO
| |_______________
| |
| -----------
|
| Water runs from patio, through the brickwork and onto garage floor.

Your garage will be wholly on your land, as will any overhang of the roof,
so your neighbour has put part of his patio on your land. This should
give you leverage in discussions.

My 'deeds' state that I can't discharge water from
my property onto either neighbours' property.
It seem to be a standard clause in English
property conveyance documents. Your deeds
might contain an equivalent clause -as should your neighbours,
Consult a solicitor.

--

Brian

sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:45:34 GMT, wrote:

Near neighbour had a similar problem. We observed very heated words on the
completion of the drive, abutting a wall above the DPC. It now terminates
short of the wall, and is at the correct level WRT the DPC at the wall. I
would think the council would enforce compliance with building regs if
required.

Would brick sealer or perhaps a weatherstrip solve the problem?

sponix

sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:45:34 GMT, wrote:

Near neighbour had a similar problem. We observed very heated words on the
completion of the drive, abutting a wall above the DPC. It now terminates
short of the wall, and is at the correct level WRT the DPC at the wall. I
would think the council would enforce compliance with building regs if
required.

Anyone any ideas which bit of the building regs would cover this?

sponix
RzB

I posted a little while on a similar subject ... see..

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L23D54D1C

It all appears to be working superbly at the
moment - time will tell ...

However none of it was cheap... Perhaps you
should get your neighbour to pay...?

Roy

sPoNiX

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:22:12 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

I posted a little while on a similar subject ... see..

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L23D54D1C

It all appears to be working superbly at the
moment - time will tell ...

However none of it was cheap... Perhaps you
should get your neighbour to pay...?

The water is only getting through the bottom two courses of brickwork
so is it worth painting them with bitumen/sealant?

sponix
Chris Bacon

sPoNiX wrote:
I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.

When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
checked the roof etc for leaks)

Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
nil.

You can bodge it by applying tanking as described in the recent
"ancient garage" thread - the OP there used some sort of vertical
DPC other than the bitumen emulsion/sand blinding that was another
option - however, your neighbour is not within his rights to cause
this problem, and simply asking him to remedy matters in view of
this might resolve the situation. You can but try.
sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:11:31 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

sPoNiX wrote:
I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.

When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
checked the roof etc for leaks)

Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
nil.

You can bodge it by applying tanking as described in the recent
"ancient garage" thread - the OP there used some sort of vertical
DPC other than the bitumen emulsion/sand blinding that was another
option - however, your neighbour is not within his rights to cause
this problem, and simply asking him to remedy matters in view of
this might resolve the situation. You can but try.

I'll try getting him to remedy the situation but think it'll fall on
deaf ears.

I could then sue but this will take time and money and obviously wish
to avoid spending money if I don't have to.

sponix

Chris Bacon

sPoNiX wrote:
The water is only getting through the bottom two courses of brickwork
so is it worth painting them with bitumen/sealant?

Hang on, is it running through the courses, or are the bricks just damp?
Chris Bacon

sPoNiX wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I would take a large angle grinder to the two inches of patio on your land,
after giving him 28 days notice of what you intend to do. This will allow
drainage backwards under his patio and probably cure the problem.

Access is the problem. Locked gate

Angle grinder.

and big dog.

Angle grinder.

sponix

Use a lawyer. Issue him with an angle grinder.

RzB

This surely breaks building regs ? Yes/no?

Is it perhaps worth talking to your local building
inspectors office?

I'm sure they would advise the best approach...

Roy

sPoNiX

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:47:05 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

This surely breaks building regs ? Yes/no?

Is it perhaps worth talking to your local building
inspectors office?

I'm sure they would advise the best approach...

Just emailed local BCO and he doesn't know if it's against regs or
not! However, he does agree that it's bad practice.

Can anyone point me to the section of the building regs that advise on
such matters? I could then email him back and say "look at section
blahblah".

sponix
Chris Bacon

Matt wrote:
Its not your problem to rectify its clearly your neighbours (assuming
the garage is in the right place) You'll really only get physical
solutions here and while they may be useful the best place for a start
would be uk.legal.

I'd add "moderated".
Chris Bacon

Martin Bonner wrote:
Matt wrote:
(sPoNiX) wrote:
I'm after the lowest cost/least effort solution possible.

Its not your problem to rectify its clearly your neighbours (assuming
the garage is in the right place) You'll really only get physical
solutions here and while they may be useful the best place for a start
would be uk.legal.

I don't know about uk.legal, but if you post to uk.legal.moderated, the
main advice you will get is DON'T RESORT TO LAW! Apart from anything
else, when you come to sell your house, you will have to advise your
purchasers of any disputes with your neighbours and doing so will have
a /very/ nasty effect on the value of your house.

Why, unless the "dispute" was on-going? Once the matter is settled,
that's that.

I would have thought your best solution is something like tanking
applied to the OUTSIDE of your garage. (Which will mean that you need
to get your neighbour's permission).

You'd also have to dig up his chuffin' prize "patio"!
AlexW

sPoNiX wrote:

Ignoring the well explored get the neighbor to...

I have a garage built from brick. The neighbour has built a patio that
butts up to my garage wall. See my attempted ASCII drawing below.

When it rains heavilly the water runs off his patio, soaks through the
wall of my garage and floods it to about 1/4" deep! (Yes, I have
checked the roof etc for leaks)

Are there any small holes / dodgy pointing that can be made good, that
may help a bit?

Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
nil.

I can buy liquid especially for waterproofing brickwork. Is it any
good? If I were to apply it liberally to the bottom of the wall on the
outside where the water is soaking through...would it work?

It may help but, AIUI waterseal is not perfect and has to be reapplied
periodically, and if it floods after the floor after heavy rain there is
a good chance it won't be 100% effective. Its cheap, invisible and may
give a bit of respite though.

Alternatively, I was thinking of applying some sort of
flashing/weather strip along the area where the patio meets the
garage. Would that work?

Again this might help, but how much water is seeping into or under his
patio and then though the wall? Does the area accumulate standing water,
if so and his patio is not 100% waterproof then again the solution might
not be perfect.

I'm after the lowest cost/least effort solution possible.

sponix

GARAGE | PATIO
|_______________

-----------

Water runs from patio, through the brickwork and onto garage floor.

Have you considered raising the floor internally above the external
level? DPM and concrete perhaps or if the garage is not used for
vehicles you could line the floor and use timber perhaps. Maybe in
conjunction with external flashing/tanking the first couple of courses
on that side.

Not exactly cheap, but maybe the neighbor would contribute to avoid
retro-fitting drainage to his patio?

Alex.
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On 7 Nov 2005 08:43:40 -0800, "Martin Bonner"
wrote:

Its not your problem to rectify its clearly your neighbours (assuming
the garage is in the right place) You'll really only get physical
solutions here and while they may be useful the best place for a start
would be uk.legal.

The garage is in the correct place.

I don't know about uk.legal, but if you post to uk.legal.moderated, the
main advice you will get is DON'T RESORT TO LAW! Apart from anything
else, when you come to sell your house, you will have to advise your
purchasers of any disputes with your neighbours and doing so will have
a /very/ nasty effect on the value of your house.

It's only a garage on a separate deed to the house! With a sale of
that size I'm pretty sure you don't have to reveal anything about the
neighbour.

I would have thought your best solution is something like tanking
applied to the OUTSIDE of your garage. (Which will mean that you need
to get your neighbour's permission).

The problem is the neighbour took it upon himself to paint the end
wall of my garage a month or so ago using some form of gloss paint.
The advice from uk.legal was, as always, "Ignore it". (This is despite
the fact it amounts to criminal damage)

Whilst I don't think the paint has caused the current damp/flooding
problem as the water literally gushes through the brick, it's the
latest thing in a long line of things the neighbour has done to p1ss
me off such as parking in front of the garage and going away for the
weekend etc.

I was after an ffective solution so that I could go up to the guy and
bargain with him. "Repair the damp problem this way otherwise I'll
take you to court about the paint (Criminal damage)" sort of thing. As
the paint will cost oodles to remove I want to use it as a bargaining
tool.

However, before I do that I want to know what the options are. I'm a
reasonable person and wouldn't insist he does it an expensive way if a
cheap way is just as effective. All I want is a dry garage again.

sponix

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:51:00 +0000, AlexW
wrote:

Are there any small holes / dodgy pointing that can be made good, that
may help a bit?

Dunno. I'll check.

Whilst I realise the neighbour should have left a drainage channel,
the chances of him digging up his patio and fitting one is virtually
nil.

I can buy liquid especially for waterproofing brickwork. Is it any
good? If I were to apply it liberally to the bottom of the wall on the
outside where the water is soaking through...would it work?

Does anyone have any links to how patios should be constructed,
especially with a gap round the edge, that I may print out and show
the guy?

In addition any links to Building regulations documents that refer to
this would be gratefully received!

sponix
John Cartmell

In article ,
--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:
However, before I do that I want to know what the options are. I'm a
reasonable person and wouldn't insist he does it an expensive way if a
cheap way is just as effective. All I want is a dry garage again.

He needs to stop the water flowing before it reaches the garage wall. The
option is to rebuild the garage when it collapses AND stop the water before it
reaches the garage wall.

Chris Bacon

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
sPoNiX writes:
(Neighbours new "patio" causing damp)

What's the seal between the patio and the wall (if there is one)?
I'm not sure what to suggest in that gap, but something flexible,
possibly bitumenous might be best here.

The problem here is that AIUI the "patio" butts up against the
garage wall. It should have a drain at least 6" below DPC. The
best bet is probably to edge off the "patio", including a drain
(possibly perforated plastic) in a pea gravel trench, possibly
incorporating a vertical DPC, at the side of the "patio". The
water seems to be running off the new flat raised surface of
the "patio" and seeping into the OPs garage. The neighbour would
get a nice decorative edge, the OP would get a dry garage. Try
Cormaic's site for ideas.

Cicero

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
[...]

=================
Water 1/4" deep isn't damp - it's nearly a paddling pool!

As a short term measure you could reduce the possibility of damage to the
brickwork by making some bleed holes in the bottom course of bricks. If it's
a single brick wall you would only need to remove the vertical mortar
between a few bricks to provide an easy passage for the incoming water. As a
more long term measure you might consider cutting a drainage channel in the
floor close to the wall inside the garage to stop the floor flooding.

Cic.

Chris Bacon

Cicero wrote:
As a short term measure you could reduce the possibility of damage to the
brickwork by making some bleed holes in the bottom course of bricks.

How does that help at all?

If it's
a single brick wall you would only need to remove the vertical mortar
between a few bricks to provide an easy passage for the incoming water. As a
more long term measure you might consider cutting a drainage channel in the
floor close to the wall inside the garage to stop the floor flooding.

Cutting into the new "patio" sounds a better bet...
Cicero

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:
As a short term measure you could reduce the possibility of damage to

the
brickwork by making some bleed holes in the bottom course of bricks.

How does that help at all?

If it's
a single brick wall you would only need to remove the vertical mortar
between a few bricks to provide an easy passage for the incoming water.

As a
more long term measure you might consider cutting a drainage channel in

the
floor close to the wall inside the garage to stop the floor flooding.

Cutting into the new "patio" sounds a better bet...

======================
Bleed holes are frequently used in walls which are earthed up - such as
garden walls. They help to prevent a build-up of water behind the wall, thus
reducing damage to a certain extent . In the present case the OP hasn't got
access to the patio and he is anxious to avoid confrontation. As you say,
direct action on the patio is certainly the best solution but it's not an
option open to the OP in view of his neighbour's belligerent attitude -
locked gate and large dog.

Cic.

Chris Bacon

Cicero wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Cicero wrote:
As a short term measure you could reduce the possibility of damage to
the brickwork by making some bleed holes in the bottom course of bricks.

How does that help at all?

Bleed holes are frequently used in walls which are earthed up - such as
garden walls. (sniup) As you say,
direct action on the patio is certainly the best solution but it's not an
option open to the OP in view of his neighbour's belligerent attitude -
locked gate and large dog.

Hm... sucks teeth point taken. However, "think hydraulics".

Perhaps a pressure washer. Make "bleed holes" to prevent
damage to the OPs. wall. Introduce a lance from a pressure
washer (might need to use a hammer and bar on the "bleed
hole", or an 1m. SDS bit to make a hole to accommodate the
lance). Leave "on" for a while, only to clear debris from
the hole, you understand. Withdraw apparatus when neighbours
"patio" collapses. Suck teeth, & claim "Oh, you shouldn't
let water build up at a junction wuith tghe foudations like
that - lucky your new "patio" didn't cause your whole house
to fall down!".

Anyway, more bed, less cider, for me. Pip pip, probly.
somebody

Water runs from patio, through the brickwork and onto garage floor.

Been lurking here a while. Sorry to hear of your woes.

My understanding is that...

1: You are not responsible for retaining your neighbours land
2: You are responsible for your own surface water (you cannot just route
it onto a neighbours land).

This is just a downright inconsiderate neighbour, no more, no less.
Maybe he isn't/wasn't aware of the problem he's causing and now, in his
mind it's too late/difficult to fix? I dunno, but I think the "I
couldn't care less" attitude is more likely.

Some peeps on here have aired concerns that if you start anything formal
then you have a notifiable dispute which could cause you problems later
on if you sell. I would suggest you already have a notifiable dispute,
and your best option is to deal with and fix it now.

I don't know if it will help, but these sort of things come up often on
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk maybe it's worth a read there?

Also, a friend of mine on installing a new drive had the water board
come round and give him a hard time about additional water being routed
into the drains, maybe this could apply? Not sure.

Anyway, good luck ... the angle grinder seemed like a nice solution to
me :-)

Cheers
Someone

Damp proofing ancient garage... RzB UK diy 30 October 31st 05 04:22 PM
Damp & musty garage blueman Home Repair 7 June 28th 05 01:41 PM
Garage damp problem. jez UK diy 3 June 13th 05 08:36 AM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM
Damp garage Jon Read UK diy 6 August 29th 03 04:18 PM