Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default frozen/burst pipes

Hi,

The little old lady who lives next door asked for help as water was
leaking through her ceiling. The pipe to her header tank had frozen.

I realise prevention is better than cure, and a lack of pipe lagging
was partly to blame but in this weather I think a lot of people have
had bursts.

This made me wonder, is one pipe type better than any other in
resisting/delaying bursts? Would a plastic pipe have a little more
elasticity than copper? I realise it would only delay the inevitable
but would PEX or polybutylene be better or MDPE or something else?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/10 18:32, Fred wrote:
Hi,

The little old lady who lives next door asked for help as water was
leaking through her ceiling. The pipe to her header tank had frozen.

I realise prevention is better than cure, and a lack of pipe lagging
was partly to blame but in this weather I think a lot of people have
had bursts.

This made me wonder, is one pipe type better than any other in
resisting/delaying bursts? Would a plastic pipe have a little more
elasticity than copper? I realise it would only delay the inevitable
but would PEX or polybutylene be better or MDPE or something else?

TIA

I have had JG speedfit freeze outside with no problems - but be aware,
it can push the joints open.

But I've also had copper freeze without issue - in fact the only burst
pipe I remember was a lead one which did split very easily.

Trace/heating tape under insulation would be the strongest method.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2010 19:10, Tim Watts wrote:

But I've also had copper freeze without issue - in fact the only burst
pipe I remember was a lead one which did split very easily.

I had amusement fitting a tee to a 15mm pipe which had got ice in it at
one point and was thus a bit bigger than 15mm.

Eventually solved by taking a yorkshire fitting and shoving a socket
from a spanner set down it using a vice to stretch it enough to go over
the pipe - I was lucky enough to find one in my collection which was the
appropriate size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 6:32*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

The little old lady who lives next door asked for help as water was
leaking through her ceiling. The pipe to her header tank had frozen.

I realise prevention is better than cure, and a lack of pipe lagging
was partly to blame but in this weather I think a lot of people have
had bursts.

This made me wonder, is one pipe type better than any other in
resisting/delaying bursts? Would a plastic pipe have a little more
elasticity than copper? I realise it would only delay the inevitable
but would PEX or polybutylene be better or MDPE or something else?

TIA

Don't let it freeze in the first place would be ideal but "most" of
the pliable plastic pipes will stand freezing without damage due to
their elasticity, as long as the joints hold. (No guarantees in really
extreme conditions)
Think about self limiting trace heating tape under the lagging if you
expect conditions to recur.