Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default frozen/burst pipes

Hi,

The little old lady who lives next door asked for help as water was
leaking through her ceiling. The pipe to her header tank had frozen.

I realise prevention is better than cure, and a lack of pipe lagging
was partly to blame but in this weather I think a lot of people have
had bursts.

This made me wonder, is one pipe type better than any other in
resisting/delaying bursts? Would a plastic pipe have a little more
elasticity than copper? I realise it would only delay the inevitable
but would PEX or polybutylene be better or MDPE or something else?

TIA