Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default frozen/burst pipes

On Dec 8, 6:32*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

The little old lady who lives next door asked for help as water was
leaking through her ceiling. The pipe to her header tank had frozen.

I realise prevention is better than cure, and a lack of pipe lagging
was partly to blame but in this weather I think a lot of people have
had bursts.

This made me wonder, is one pipe type better than any other in
resisting/delaying bursts? Would a plastic pipe have a little more
elasticity than copper? I realise it would only delay the inevitable
but would PEX or polybutylene be better or MDPE or something else?

TIA

Don't let it freeze in the first place would be ideal but "most" of
the pliable plastic pipes will stand freezing without damage due to
their elasticity, as long as the joints hold. (No guarantees in really
extreme conditions)
Think about self limiting trace heating tape under the lagging if you
expect conditions to recur.