Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to make screeded floor smooth enough for sticky vinyl tiles?

Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on a
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

I thought about floor paint, but I doubt if that would create a surface
smooth enough for the tiles to stick to reliably. I imagine a 2-part resin
of some kind would be better, as it could (I guess) be poured on thickly
enough to produce a truly smooth surface. Can anyone recommend anything? I
guess ordinary polyester resin would work well, wouldn't it? Anyone know
where this can be bought in a 5 ltr tin at a good price?

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Many thanks

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

I thought about floor paint, but I doubt if that would create a surface
smooth enough for the tiles to stick to reliably. I imagine a 2-part resin
of some kind would be better, as it could (I guess) be poured on thickly
enough to produce a truly smooth surface. Can anyone recommend anything? I
guess ordinary polyester resin would work well, wouldn't it? Anyone know
where this can be bought in a 5 ltr tin at a good price?

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Many thanks

Al

Is it not possible to give the concrete a couple of coats of concrete
sealant,
then stick tiles down on top?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

I thought about floor paint, but I doubt if that would create a surface
smooth enough for the tiles to stick to reliably. I imagine a 2-part resin
of some kind would be better, as it could (I guess) be poured on thickly
enough to produce a truly smooth surface. Can anyone recommend anything? I
guess ordinary polyester resin would work well, wouldn't it? Anyone know
where this can be bought in a 5 ltr tin at a good price?

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Levelling compound? Wickes.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/10 19:53, AL_n wrote:
Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on a
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

I thought about floor paint, but I doubt if that would create a surface
smooth enough for the tiles to stick to reliably. I imagine a 2-part resin
of some kind would be better, as it could (I guess) be poured on thickly
enough to produce a truly smooth surface. Can anyone recommend anything? I
guess ordinary polyester resin would work well, wouldn't it? Anyone know
where this can be bought in a 5 ltr tin at a good price?

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Many thanks

Al

I would have thought the easiest solution would be to use rubber based
vinyl glue (Evostik alike) irrespective of the tiles being self
adhesive. From experience, that stuff does not come off screed (I've
tried!) and it's sufficiently gap filling for minor irregularities.

If the floor is flat through, a floor paint (not bitumen based) would
create a surface the self adhesive glue should hold on to nicely.

2 pack - well, there are 2 pack floor paints and DPMs (I've used the
latter - Stopgap F75 IIRC) and it is very smooth, applies with a roller
and holds on to the substrate pretty tightly - but not cheap and
probably overkill.

Can we confirm this floor is dry (ie known good DPM)?

How smooth is the screed finish (eg any gaps under a 1-2 foot
straightedge?).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Dec 4, 8:37*pm, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message

Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

///

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Levelling compound? Wickes.

Yes that is the best method, BUT it is essential to use a brand
described as 'latex'. Not sure what 'latex' means in this context but
it is far easier, more economical & gives a better finish with less
skill than vanilla levelling compounds.

BTW levelling compounds are better described as 'self smoothing'
compounds. Used as described on the packet you should be able to
obtain a finish smooth enough for tiles but it will undulate slightly
over 2 or 3 feet - not enough normally to interfere with laying vinyl
tiles.

To get a really *smooth* finish you need to set straight guide edges
around the edge of the floor over which you can run a screeder or
levelling edge. Even then differences may occur due to differential
setting of different thicknesses of leveller over your floor. If
badly affected by this you can use 2 coats of leveller.

An alternative to setting in a straight edge is to plug the floor &
screw in 10g or 4.5mm c/sunk screws at intervals along the edge. Set
the tops of these level to each other with a builders line & a spirit
level. Then use the tops as reference points to level off the
compound.

To get a truly *level* finish proceed as for a smooth finish but great
attention is required to making sure the screed adges are horizontal.

OTOH you can avoid the problems of levelling a floor for vinyl tiles
by using ceramic tiles, disadvantage of those is that they raise the
floor level by 8 to 10mm, but often produce a much more satisfactory
finish.

HTH

Si- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth surface on a
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to take
self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

I thought about floor paint, but I doubt if that would create a surface
smooth enough for the tiles to stick to reliably. I imagine a 2-part resin
of some kind would be better, as it could (I guess) be poured on thickly
enough to produce a truly smooth surface. Can anyone recommend anything? I
guess ordinary polyester resin would work well, wouldn't it? Anyone know
where this can be bought in a 5 ltr tin at a good price?

The room in question is very small: about 5ft x 5ft. The screeded floor is
absolutely dry with no damp at all.

Many thanks

Al

You can grind or polish concrete in a similar fashion to wood with
suitable machines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 9:40*pm, jim wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:37*pm, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Yes that is the best method, BUT it is essential to use a brand
described as 'latex'. *Not sure what 'latex' means in this context but
it is far easier, more economical & gives a better finish with less
skill than vanilla levelling compounds.

ITYF the latex based ones are supplied as a two part kit. A powder and
a milky looking liquid.

Other types of levelling compound use water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/10 08:32, 1501 wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:40 pm, wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:37 pm, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Yes that is the best method, BUT it is essential to use a brand
described as 'latex'. Not sure what 'latex' means in this context but
it is far easier, more economical& gives a better finish with less
skill than vanilla levelling compounds.

ITYF the latex based ones are supplied as a two part kit. A powder and
a milky looking liquid.

Other types of levelling compound use water.

If the OP goes this route, he would be advised to google this group for
"floor levelling" and "Stopgap 300" - many many previous discussions.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2010 04:12, F Murtz wrote:
AL_n wrote:
[...]

If it's dry and sound, you can just skim it with filler to get a smooth
surface. That was the advice given to me by a pro vinyl layer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
[...]

Hi, Thanks to all for the replies. That last suggestion sounds
particularly interesting. What kind of filler did the pro mean? I wonder if
something like exterior pollyfilla would do...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2010 18:47, AL_n wrote:
stuart wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
[...]

Ordinary interior filler should be fine given there's no likelihood of
damp. Bonds well, even in very fine layers IME. The only question is
whether the adhesive would pull off the filler if you tried to
re-position the tile during laying, but that would apply whatever you used
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart noble
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:58:55 writes

Can anyonone suggest a product that would create a very smooth
surface on a
screeded concrete floor? I need the floor to end up smooth enough to
take self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

There is a powder specially for that job. Mix with water and spread it.
It flows all over the place - just make sure to get rid of bubbles.

I think it is called Latex Floor Levelling Compound or something
similar.

I have always used it before laying floor tiles.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

How to make screeded floor smooth enough to take sticky vinyl tiles? AL_n UK diy 0 December 4th 10 07:42 PM
Laying floor tiles over vinyl tiles ? TonyB UK diy 5 October 11th 09 03:47 PM
vinyl floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 0 December 23rd 06 01:11 PM
Vinyl floor tiles Lucy Home Ownership 1 March 27th 05 09:25 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM