Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adivce regarding draught on wooen windows

I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there is
still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes pretty
tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it too much to
correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left uprights
of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thelibrarian wrote:
I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there is
still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes pretty
tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it too much to
correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left uprights
of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

Nope use candle or fag smoke to ID draught pints: double up foam or in
my case, use caulk round frames..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thelibrarian wrote:
I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there
is still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes
pretty tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it
too much to correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left
uprights of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

Nope use candle or fag smoke to ID draught pints: double up foam or in my
case, use caulk round frames..

Or, at this time of year, duct or masking tape both for diagnostics and a
temporary fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 10:00 am, "newshound" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

Thelibrarian wrote:
I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there
is still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes
pretty tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it
too much to correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left
uprights of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

Nope use candle or fag smoke to ID draught pints: double up foam or in my
case, use caulk round frames..

Or, at this time of year, duct or masking tape both for diagnostics and a
temporary fix.

mmmm but some "masking tape" will either not come off or not come off
cleanly when you've left it too long - i.e. come the thaw.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/10 23:45, Thelibrarian wrote:
I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there is
still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes pretty
tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it too much to
correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left uprights
of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

there are smokebombs on sale for testing chimneys with.
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 1:18 pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
On 29/11/10 23:45, Thelibrarian wrote: I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there is
still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes pretty
tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it too much to
correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left uprights
of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

there are smokebombs on sale for testing chimneys with.
[g]

are you advocating he use one for this purpose?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
On 29/11/10 23:45, Thelibrarian wrote:
I have wooen ouble glazing windows, there is a constant draught from them
coming from somewhere. I have replaced all of the winow rubbers but there
is
still air coming through somewhere, which I cannot find. It closes pretty
tight, tighter than before. I think maybe the sun has warped it too much
correct with rubbers.

I've also put a strip of draught rubber alone the far right an left
uprights
of the window as my neighbour said the air can creep in there.

Any ideas on what else I can try, its driving me a little cuckoo

Or is it time to mastic it shut lol.

there are smokebombs on sale for testing chimneys with.
[g]

Not sure my wife woul like me setting a smoke bomb off lol.